Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mission titles have stifled mission diversity.

Danjal777

The naming of missions in Warframe have stifled the diversity of the missions themselves.  This issue here is that the names of the missions themselves are too broad.  For example, Survival as it is, is a mission where you have to keep a percentage rating that depletes every second above 0% or the mission ends.  There are tons of other options for a survival mission that don't use this mechanic, but lack of naming have prevented this diversity.  So I propose that the naming of mission type look more like this: Survival(Life Support).

Doing this will allow for many different types of missions that can placed on one node and offer variety.

Survival: (endless mission types that require the player to survive in 5 minute increments)
Life Support- Already exists.
Hunted- All healing from any source is disabled except for health orbs that have a higher drop chance.  The enemy is equipped with sniffer units, radar drones, and snipers.  This mode is like a hide and seek where it is less about slaughter and more about stealth.  Sniffer units like Kavats, Kubrows, Hyenas, and Pakals will hunt you leading kill squads to your position.  Radar Drones will track you and reveal you to enemy kill squads if observed regardless of any powers that are used.  Any noisy activity or detection that takes place will cause a quick reaction force to reinforce the tile and attempt to lock you in it with them.
Defiance- Tiles on a ship will be sabotaged by the enemy, various tasks must be performed to counter the sabotage, if this is failed that tile will be destroyed and access to will locked out.  (mission will have to be made of nine tiles aligned 3X3 for this to work) Mission fails if all tiles are destroyed.  Tenno that are in a tile when it is destroyed will automatically die and will revive at the nearest intact tile.

Defense: (endless mission type that requires waves of enemies to be fought off in 5 wave increments)
Artifact- Already exists.
Area Denial- Tenno must defend a bridge leading to a bunker door against waves of enemies trying to breach it with explosives.  As the mission continues, the chance of an environmental change increases with each wave allowing for various complications and changes in defense strategies.  Enemy dropships will come into play in this mission type as well as large enemies, such as the Jackal, Ambulas, Juggernaught, and hopefully some Grineer tanks.  Damage to the bunker door is done any time an enemy unit enters your defense area (upon which they detonate an explosive) this is the only way enemies can damage the door.
Last Stand- Tenno are cornered in a fortified position, each Tenno only has 1 revive, when eliminated from the match, all rewards gained up to that point point are kept.  Healing powers and items are disabled.  Waves are short but intense.

Intelligence:(Formerly Interception) (endless mission type that requires nodes to be held, contending with the enemy like a tug of war)
Signal Interception- Already exists.
Hacker- Similar to mobile defense, but the enemies will try to hack your consoles and/or place in virus puzzles to prevent you from getting data.  You can hack a panel multiple times, the first gains access to the system, the second downloads the data, and you can hack it three more times to add lock layers that enemies have to hack through in order to disrupt your download.  Enemies that have hacked into the console and have stopped your download will be able to lock the console permanently and add a virus that corrupts the data you have downloaded.  Any console in the mission can be used in this way, enemies will only target consoles that have been hacked by Tenno.  Each console will have a value assigned to it which determines how much data can be downloaded from the console.  Special units called administrators will will spawn to counter your hacks and upload viruses.  The mission will fail if the virus counter reaches 100%, you will be forced to evacuate if there aren't enough consoles left to hack in a mission.  Much larger variety in hack puzzles, similar to pipe dream, snake, minesweeper, memory match, etc.
Interrogation- VIP's are spawned in a mission with a guard detail, you must take them down like a capture mission, and then interrogate them by holding an action button over top of them.  While this happens, enemies will swarm your position, if the VIP isn't being interrogated for 10 seconds they will get back up and start running for a safe room, if they make it to a safe room, the mission fails.  If you complete the interrogation, you execute the VIP and another is spawned in the map.

Agent: (This is a catch all category for missions that require you to enter a mission and perform some single objective and leave)
Capture- Already exists.
Sabotage- Already exists.

Thief: (Formerly Spy; Missions that require you to enter a mission and steal some item/data)
Vault- Already exists.

Extermination:
Annihilation- Already exists.
Target of Opportunity- Enemies are grouped into squads with one being designated as the leader, the goal is to eliminate the leaders.  The numbers of leaders that need to be killed in a mission are randomly generated between 3 and 15.  After killing a leader, his subordinates will panic for 10 seconds, if all Tenno can evacuate the tile before the panic ends, the alarms won't be called.  If the alarms are sounded three times, the mission fails.  Consoles can be hacked to negate one alarm counter, (essentially if you don't let an alarm sound twice you can have some leeway).

In any case, I think I have made my point, you can be more creative with missions if you open the sub details up.

This seems to just make any potential mission some muddy mix of others and harder to pick a loadout for. Also would require making a new map generator because, last I knew, you cannot make loops in the existing one. Branches, dead ends, but cannot loop back on itself. Last Stand, specifically, has no risk, nothing to really work against.

Is it really the naming (something that is beyond trivial to change) that is holding diversity back, or is it the need to not create a million variants of a vague archetype that each need separate threads of attention from a limited amount of people?

I would prefer if missions weren't named.. but that's just me. I like adapting to things. If i know what im getting into before hand, im going to suit up and prepare myself fore it before I even walk in. Leading to an easy stomp of a mission even if its supposed to be hard or not. 

34 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

This seems to just make any potential mission some muddy mix of others and harder to pick a loadout for. Also would require making a new map generator because, last I knew, you cannot make loops in the existing one. Branches, dead ends, but cannot loop back on itself. Last Stand, specifically, has no risk, nothing to really work against.

Is it really the naming (something that is beyond trivial to change) that is holding diversity back, or is it the need to not create a million variants of a vague archetype that each need separate threads of attention from a limited amount of people?

Noted, but I disagree, Warframe can only benefit from variety.  Maybe that's where you went wrong, when the game became a chore that requires you to mindlessly grind out the things you're trying to get instead of being fun and challenging.  Still, it would be fine if you could pick the specific mission you want to play as well.

1 minute ago, LuckyCharm said:

I would prefer if missions weren't named.. but that's just me. I like adapting to things. If i know what im getting into before hand, im going to suit up and prepare myself fore it before I even walk in. Leading to an easy stomp of a mission even if its supposed to be hard or not. 

Wouldn't be awesome if they had a random mission button?  

5 hours ago, Danjal777 said:

Wouldn't be awesome if they had a random mission button?  

It would. Especially if you could choose level range. I do also like your ideas for mission ideas. Especially last stand. I would play that one a ton :)