Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's With The Hacking Mini-Game?!

Raikoa

Ok I just got the game, got 3 levels in and can't advance without doing some weird hacking mini-game that comes out of nowhere and is absolutely NOT self explanatory. I get that you guys might be wanting to add a change of pace or something with it, but it makes nooooo freaking SENSE!! And it was never even touhed on in the tutorial.. or anywhere. If you guys are really attached and don't want to swap it out for another mini-game please at the very least, try and shoe-horn it in to the tutorial so it gets an explanation. Like I said I just got it so I might be overlooking something on the menus that might tell me(or I might just be incredibly stupid) but that's a little to out of the way, I think, for such a fast paced game. I do really enjoy this game for how easy it is to pick up and play and how fluid the action is, BUT that hacking game totally breaks the flow(for me atleast) and I think it should be swapped, altered, or atleast explained somwhere in game!

The hacking minigame is just match up the lines so that there isn't any lines that aren't connected. You get a timer to match them up to each other and when you use 50-75% of the puzzle, it goes on alert and speeds up the timer.

Isn't that hard once you get to know how it works. Took me a moment to actually see the lines lol

I buy a hundred Ciphers at a time since they are cheap. Just use one of those and be on your way back to killing. Also yeah they should have you hack a console in the tutorial and also explain that you need to shoot the cameras to get the lasers down.

I buy a hundred Ciphers at a time since they are cheap. Just use one of those and be on your way back to killing. Also yeah they should have you hack a console in the tutorial and also explain that you need to shoot the cameras to get the lasers down.

As much as I am tempted to say that figuring both of these out should be an intelligence test for new players, I do agree that the first time you hack something and/or go to a Corpus mission, a tooltip tutorial should probably pop up. I am also sure that the Lore section, once it grows, would be a nice place to explain those mechanics in a nice, story-like way as well.

Bleh, tooltips?

You have some tiles. They have lines. You click on the tiles, and they rotate.

This kind of simple puzzle transcends language. Contrary to the OP, I'd have to say that it is absolutely self-explanatory.

Bleh, tooltips?

You have some tiles. They have lines. You click on the tiles, and they rotate.

This kind of simple puzzle transcends language. Contrary to the OP, I'd have to say that it is absolutely self-explanatory.

It is.

But just as pretty much anything comes with a manual that explains (or should) the most obious things, so should Warframe. This isn't even assuming that people are stupid, this is just covering all bases in case someone has a brainfart. From the perspective of the designer, one should always assume that even the most obvious things might be confusing to some people. Maybe someone is tired. Maybe they are having a brainfart. It happens. Better to have them (again, popping up once, or not at all of the player opts out) then not have them. Just covering all your bases. Not that this is any immidiate priority, this is pretty much finishing polish.

I don't normally make fun of people, but um......

OP...

You didn't, within the first few seconds, figure out "hey if I click these, they rotate. They have lines on them. I should match the lines up."?

I failed 2 hacking attempts in my 160 some hours of Warframe.

One of them was when I first started the game, and one of them was during my Rank Test involving hacking (they gave me a ridiculously hard one, and I failed it on the first attempt).

I can understand failing you first 1-2 attempts, but surely within 30 some seconds of spinning shapes around, you'd get the idea. The only confusing part is where they have Xs that can be placed 2-4 different ways, and only one way is correct. When you get that kind of puzzle, do the outside ones first and just spin the center one until it completes.

I don't normally make fun of people, but um......

OP...

You didn't, within the first few seconds, figure out "hey if I click these, they rotate. They have lines on them. I should match the lines up."?

I failed 2 hacking attempts in my 160 some hours of Warframe.

One of them was when I first started the game, and one of them was during my Rank Test involving hacking (they gave me a ridiculously hard one, and I failed it on the first attempt).

I can understand failing you first 1-2 attempts, but surely within 30 some seconds of spinning shapes around, you'd get the idea. The only confusing part is where they have Xs that can be placed 2-4 different ways, and only one way is correct. When you get that kind of puzzle, do the outside ones first and just spin the center one until it completes.

I failed a lot more because of my logitech mouse and its famous / infamous double click bug....

Just flip the lines around til they line up. My AVG time is down to 6 seconds. If you don't want to play the mini games buy a cipher it'll do 90-100% of the puzzle for you.

Cipher_1.png

Thank you VERY much sir!!.. You're 1 of the 2 people here that was being helpful instead of wasting time with a condescending remark.

I fully admit I'm not very bright when it comes to things like this, and I'm certainly no good at anything slightly puzzle like. But I still siand by that it should be explained even if not in the tutorial, at least with a single line of text when you're at the terminal, for dumbasses like me. And even still if its so simple I don't see why its there for anything but busy work. :/

Tutorials have always needed to be implemented, however much of the game is about discovery and adapting to situations. Even now it's a lot easier to prevent enemies from locking you out because you are given ample time to kill them before they activate the panel (provided you're aware that an enemy is standing in front of a panel).

There were definitely a few in the much earlier days who failed to hack something because they weren't sure how it worked, but it almost never came up, because the intent of the interface is to be as simplistic as possible. If an item on your screen becomes highlight when your cursor crosses over it, it usually means it's clickable. If you click it and it does something, keep doing it until you discover that there is a pattern to align. The length of time is definitely short, but you are never permanently locked out if you fail it.

I confess that I was having troubles with hacking at first and because I have a boyfriend and he was playing since CBT he was able to tell me what to do. It was confusing at first and I hated the game, but now I love it.

At this stage, Warframe is really repulsive for the new player. They need to work on tutorials ASAP.

It's pretty simple really... only ever failed one, and this was because all the sides were the same and I thought it was a bug, turns out it wasn't and they had set edges but all looked the same. This in my opinion needs to be changed.