Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which warframe suits me as a new player

Inuakki

Question

Hello Tennos,

I am not quite new but haven't played much and now I am returning.

As there are many frames, I wonder which warframe suits me best.

I am not the high dps type. In games I like stealth and sneaky missions.

My favorite class in Roleplay games are CC tanks. Secondary dots. In Torchlight2 my fav was the Flame-Electro-Engineer.

Or support characters. Buffs or debuffing the whole area ;)

Also unusual characters and builds are my favorite. E.g. at the beginning of D3 I played an uncommon all-Spirit-Doctor.

I already got Mag(just 22). Which looks interesting are Titania or Banshee.

Edited by Inuakki

8 answers to this question

Hi, glad there's some new people interested in Stealth! :)

If you want sneaky frames : Ash(invis),Banshee (noise cancelling), Loki (invis), Ivara & Wukong (only his Cloudwalk ability) will suit you.

If you don't want to rely on a frame or companion's abilities to be sneaky : get silent weapons (bows are inherently silent, you can mod alerting weapons to silence them) & make sure their damage can kill in on hit, crouch A LOT , hug corners & never enter a door upfront. Watch some leon rogue to see what I mean. :)

Most of the stealth frames aren't really new-player accessible. Loki has you covered in stealth and area CC, but he comes from a later planet (Neptune) and requires a fleshed out mod collection to use effectively. Ash has limited stealth and is more focused on killing stuff; he's also a pain to farm (Grineer Manic drop). Ivara's toolkit excels at basically anything (stealth, looting, killing, CC, team utility) but she is also more difficult to obtain (Spy Mission Drop). Octavia has gimmicky stealth and a variety of other buffs but drops from a later quest. Wukong is the easiest as he comes from Dojo research, though he tends to be used as a tank more.

Tanky CC is easier. Rhino drops fairly early from the Venus boss; he's fairly effective even with minimal mods and has CC, a buff, and durability. Frost is a "heavy caster" that drops from the Mars boss, with powerful CC capabilities and a decent pool of health/shields.

I'd just pick up what looks cool. You'll have a collection of 'Frames soon enough.

Rhino and Frost are pretty solid CC tanks. Oberon as well.

Rhino's Iron Skin lets him survive tons of punishment, though it tends to engender some rather poor playing habits as it's strong enough to lean on almost entirely against weaker enemies. Rhino's 1 allows him to ragdoll enemies that are in its path, reduces its cost when chained (up to two additional times), and allows the somewhat slow frame to cover ground very quickly, which is pretty great all around. His 2, Iron Skin, gives you a massive pool of extra hitpoints that also has a substantial amount of armor on it and allows you to shrug off most procs and CC effects, which means when you treat it like armor (y'know, that thing that's there to save you from being murdered when you screw up or get very unlucky) it tends grant you enormous amounts of survivability. Rhino's 3 is a fairly wide ranging ability that roughly doubles the weapon damage of you and allies within range as well as uniquely buffs the damage output of your powers as well for the duration. Your 4 is a PBAoE near instant knock-up and super strong slow that is great for resetting fights or making enemies sitting ducks when working with, say, a Banshee. Rhino has enormous hitpoint and shield pools as well, making it unlikely you'll get killed even if Iron Skin breaks as long as you're attentive and not simply sitting still (at stationary warframe under attack is a dead warframe).

Frost lacks any movement skills in his kit but makes up for it with a large number of slows. Frost's 1 fires a dart that'll freeze solid whatever enemy it hits directly and slow any enemies passing through the cold patch it leaves behind. The dart can be a bit tricky to aim, but it comes in handy from time to time, and allows you to pop your bubbles from a distance as well, causing them to fling enemies around. Frost's 2 creates an expanding wave of cold that will slow all enemies caught in the wave while doing a moderate amount of damage. Frost's 3 allows you to create bubbles that block incoming gunfire, slow enemies within their radius, and when cast freeze and hurl away enemies. Frost's 4 is a PBAoE that freezes solid all enemies in range where they stand (slowing them at the start of the freezing process), reduces the armor of enemies for the duration of the freeze, and any enemies killed by it also explode dealing damage in a radius to nearby enemies.

Oberon also lacks a movement ability in his kit. Oberon's 1 will knock down and radiation proc the target of the ability, as well as spawning orbs whose total damage is based on a percentage of the max health of the 1's initial target. The orbs will then home, albeit somewhat unreliably, on nearby enemies where they will Puncture proc them, while occasionally applying a Radiation or Impact proc as their damage is split evenly between the two damage types. Oberon's 2 creates patch of fiery ground with tufts of grass (replaced by shrubbery for Oberon Prime) that makes you and any allies immune to most status effects when standing on it (excepting energy drain auras and energy draining hits from Ancient Disruptors and allies under their aura). Oberon's 3 on cast creates an expanding wave that will cause you to automatically heal yourself or any allies touched by the wave so long as the power isn't cancelled. Further, when you cast your 3 while standing on your 2, you and all allies are given a fairly large flat amount of armor that, while not especially useful for frames already possessing high armor, greatly increases the survivability of frames with low amounts of armor. Oberon's 4 is a somewhat short-ranged PBAoE that lifts then slams enemies doing a large amount of damage split 50/50 between Radiation and Impact damage. Enemies that are slammed are knocked down and automatically Radiation proc'd. If enemies are slammed while on Oberon's 2 they will have a large amount of armor permanently removed (armor removal is based on a percentage of the target's full armor value for follow-up slams). Enemies not caught by Oberon's 4 but near the slammed enemies are blinded. As an aside, radiation procs cause confusion in enemy ranks, reducing (but not eliminating) the likelihood enemies will attack your allies, and making them unable to benefit from or create auras, a crucial advantage when fighting the Corrupted and Infested enemy factions.

More detailed explanations of powers and their effects for the above warframes are available at the Warframe wiki;

Rhino: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Rhino

Frost: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Frost

Oberon: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Oberon

If you like DoT effects, I'm sad to say the Warframe that is DoT/Debuffs personified drops at the very very end of the starchart, making her one of the last frames in the game you'll get to earn

Saryn is the mistress of damage over time and area debuffs.  Her 1 is called Spore, and coats a target in large fleshy spores that deal damage over time and apply the Viral status effect to targets, temporarily cutting their maximum HP values by half.  Shooting a spore with weapons fire causes it to pop, applying the Spore to all enemies with in a fairly large radius as though it were an entirely new casting, letting you quickly debuff whole waves of enemies in a fraction of a second.  As an added bonus, should any attack that applies a poison status condition pop a spore, then the poison condition will be transferred to all enemies that get new spores placed on them.

Her 2 is called Molt, and spawns a decoy that draws enemy attacks to it, soaking up damage while also letting Saryn remove harmful status effects from herself.  When it expires, is killed, or simply recast, it explodes in a cloud of poisonous gas, dealing damage and poisoning enemies in range while also popping all spores in the area of effect (and transferring the poison status to enemies outside the Molt's explosion radius).  Spores can be cast upon it, which can be popped by enemy fire (infecting all enemies in the radius as usual), and cost half as much mana as usual, making it an effective trap, and the Ability Augment mod Regenerative Molt allows Saryn to regain HP over time with each cast (500hp over 10 seconds, but it scales with your power strength stat).

Her 3 is Toxic Lash, and coats her melee weapon with a nasty contact poison, letting her deal bonus melee damage and apply a guaranteed poison effect to every enemy struck.  It also increases the damage mitigation you gain for blocking, and if you attack an enemy with Spores, you'll pop one with every hit, spreading the spores and poison effects with every swing AND regain 2 mana per spore popped.

Her 4 is Miasma, and is a PBAoE nuke that deals okay Corrosive damage (most Grineer units take 75% bonus damage from this damage type, which is useful) in a wide area over the course of 3 seconds, but deals 100% bonus damage if the target has a Viral status effect, and an additional 100% bonus damage if the target is under the effects of a poison status (for 200% bonus damage if the enemy has both).  Additionally, if there's a Molt decoy in the AoE, then not only does the decoy explode for its usual damage and poison effect, but the Miasma gains more bonus damage based on how much damage the decoy took.

I will recommend rhino for your game with Rhino you have attack, control and buff for you and your companions is also a tank for his amount of armor and his second ability Iron skin gives him an extra layer of armor that along with The mod increase of iron shrapnel and a good build you can make a mega tank, in addition its prime version is available

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Shrapnel

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Rhino/Prime