Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Inaros or Chroma?

BetaNoire

Question

I have been interested in these two for some time. I picked up the quest from Baro-kiteer just recently and noticed.......I actually have ALL the ingredients once I have the Blueprints.

Now up until this point I have been building Chroma and I only need the Saryn systems to drop.

Should I finish Chroma?

Should I build Inaros?

I understand both of them can be tanky, but how are they different?

Also what mods are must haves for each of them? Is there overlap in their builds?

10 answers to this question

Inaros is more of a HP tank, and heals himself with his abilities, which means you need to be active with your ability usage.
Chroma relies on his 2 and 3 for his tanking, but with high duration they can just be set and left until the duration expires, giving more freedom.
It's really down to which playstyle you prefer.

Chroma's survivability relies on his 2nd and 3rd powers, with his 4th being a utility you could drop to distract enemies or reinforce a defense and his 1 being effective only to apply an elemental proc (element selectable by energy colour; dual elements cannot be chosen). He isn't capable of outright absorbing all the damage without his 2 and 3 but that depends on how you intend to use him.

Also, Chroma is probably harder to create than Inaros because of how his individual parts and the required components are obtained - especially Saryn's if you're a pre-2nd Dream Tenno.

As for Inaros, I can get exactly 5.6k hp, but that's not all. Adding Rage and Energy Siphon will grant you an endless pool of energy you can expend by marking hordes with 2 then using 3 with enough energy to make Sand-Shadows from them. Additionally, his 1st passive (stealth-finishing enemies grants a portion of health back) helps a lot if you wanted armour from his 4.

Inaros is my go-to other than Nidus when it comes down to using explosive weapons like the Zarr.

34 minutes ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

Inaros is far easier to mod properly and play properly, Chroma is more of a profesional players only tank if you want his full potential.

What do you mean by this?

Do you think the Chroma rework will change this?

7 minutes ago, BetaNoire said:

What do you mean by this?

Do you think the Chroma rework will change this?

No idea about the second, but about the first it's about the fact that Chroma requires a huge amount if investement and a very careful selection of weapons companions and arcanes to really shine. When it does it out tanks everything in this game save for invulnerability, and also dishes out one of the highest damage amps in the game. Takes a lot of effort to get there though. 

OK I have both an inaros and a chroma 'tank' build (albeit without any arcanes) and imo inaros is much more useable for me personally... it also took a LOT less forma. 

I'm probably in the minority (not the only one in my clan mind) but I wasn't impressed with ice chroma (and yes I was playing it right), it just didn't seem as viable as inaros with Negation Swarm plus the usual rage/health/armor/(primed)vigor/rage and just using a melee with life strike applied let alone inaros' own abilities. 

Now it's entirely possible that part of the reason I wasn't impressed with chroma was purely down to the lack of arcanes being applied and as such this is likely going to be the same situation for the OP so it's something worth considering.  

Should the OP build chroma before Inaros... not in my opinion although at the very least they'll need Chroma for MR so I'd go and grab Inaros first because it's pretty quick to get and more than capable of sorties (and higher) with one or two forma and the negation swarm augment.   Not to mention getting that saryn systems bp from Kela de Thaym could turn out to be a royal pain in the .... (although I did get mine in 1 go :)) and you'll need judgement points to get to her each time dragging out the process.

Edited by LSG501

Inaros:

-Much easier to mod (armor, health, range, utility)

-Does not require abilities to be tanky (4th ability adds a bit more armor)

-Decent crowd control

-Lifesteal from stealth finisher kills

Chroma:

-Requires much more mod investments (strength, duration, power, health, armor)

-Requires the use of 2nd and 3rd ability to become tanky

-3rd ability provides huge damage buff.

-Requires lots of forma (4-6) to reach full potential

Edited by MrJxt