Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bare with me...

Spydrax

Question

Hey guys, so recently myself and a group of friends started playing. We are so addicted its not even funny. We are all MR 3 currently, but I am not sure what we should be focusing on in terms of weapons. If someone has a really good build for a Boltor prime, that would be nice for me. Truthfully, any tips and suggestions for us newbies would be much appreciated. Certain things for us to look out for or try to obtain. Specific mods to upgrade first, etc ,etc. Thanks guys. 

8 answers to this question

Try to work on acquiring and upgrading Vitality, Steel Fiber, Streamline, Flow, and then your favorite other warframe mods or power up particular stats like Power Strength with Intensify; range with Stretch; or duration with Continuity for example. For weapons, work on Serration/Hornet Strike/Pressure point/Point Blank and elemental mods followed by multi-shot, and critical mods if you can use them on those builds. After you have your starting core of mods, look for mods that help your playstyle or make it easier to do, mods like Rage, Equilibrium, and various exilus mods might be ideal for particular builds.

When modding weapons there are certain methods of adding damage that multiply each other to give much higher damage.  You have Base Damage, Multi-shot, Elementals* and Critical Damage.  On a Primary rifle or bow you'll want Serration for up to +165% damage (for a total of 265%) but if you then add on Split Chamber (90% Multi-shot) you'll have  a 90% chance of doing double that (530% of original damage!) then add on something like Stormbringer for +90% Electric damage (and that's 90% of the 530%) and you are now doing 1007% of the weapons original damage!  With a decent crit chance that will then go even higher but crits are dependent on the weapon having good stats to start with, if it has 5% chance of x1.5 then you might be better with other stuff in that slot.

*By Elementals I mean Heat, Cold, Toxin, Electricity and their combined types.  Along with the physical damage types, Impact, Slash and Puncture, they form one set of multiplied damage, adding to each other but multiplying the base damage/multi-shot/crit damage.  If you have one elemental already installed then you are better adding multi-shot before adding a second elemental, unless you want a specific combined element.

If you are looking to get the most out of your experience without leapfrogging content, I suggest you go through all of the weapons that can be purchased with credits first. These will give you a good grasp of the general usage of each of the weapon types, and will help you decide what types of weapons you feel more comfortable with for future usage. Doing this will help you avoid wasting slots on weapons you dislike before making a significant investment. You will, of course, eventually want to collect all of them just for the Mastery xp, but early on your focus should be on settling into what playstyle is fun for you before you getting into the tedious grind of Mastery. 

Mod-wise, I highly recommend you focus mainly on mods that increase your damage. Learn what types of damage are effective vs which enemies and slot those in first, then look at each weapons strengths and add in utility mods to supplement those strengths. 

As for the Boltor Prime...put it away. I know that fun is an extremely subjective thing, but if you're only MR3 and already playing around with Prime gear, you are cheating yourself out of a huge part of the game progression. Take your time and clear a large chunk of the star-chart and do some of the quests before you start worrying about getting the shiny gold stuff, otherwise you're likely to artificially remove all the challenge of the game and end up burning out on roflstomping everything before you even learn basic game mechanics.

I know that what I'm saying may come off as kind of elitist, but at close to 4000 steam hours sunk into this game, I can't tell you how many times I've seen a new player start playing, and watched them flame out before ever getting close to clearing the starchart  because they got bored due to always playing to the Meta. Take your time. Learn the game mechanics yourself. In the end, you will likely find it much more rewarding, and you will be able to pick up any new piece of gear and know exactly how to mod it without having to ask anyone for help.

On 7/27/2017 at 5:18 AM, Spydrax said:

Hey guys, so recently myself and a group of friends started playing. We are so addicted its not even funny. We are all MR 3 currently, but I am not sure what we should be focusing on in terms of weapons. If someone has a really good build for a Boltor prime, that would be nice for me. Truthfully, any tips and suggestions for us newbies would be much appreciated. Certain things for us to look out for or try to obtain. Specific mods to upgrade first, etc ,etc. Thanks guys. 

1. vitality -> go to rank 6 or 8

2. Redirection -> rank 6 or 8

3. Serration -> rank 6 or max

4. Elements -> go max and swap for different enemies.

Technically, try to have mods in total dont cross 30 to slot in ytour frames and weapons for the highest input.

for starters. most of the mod i have when i start i only max to rank 6.