Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to Make Volt Better in 3 Easy Steps

GeometricBison

1 hour ago, giovanniluca said:

There are still focuses, and still the problem that Volt does not run fast as others and his kit is underpowered..

I seriously doubt you are going to get any meaningful affinity farming exterminate, which is the only mission type where the players are forced to do intensive killing along a route.

Failing that, you should be able to catch up to your compatriots when their speed buff runs out while you renew your own.

If you're really concerned about suggesting buffs for you favorite warframe, I suggest you find more meaningful ways than this.

Most of his skills are actually fine, Would prefer that "Discharge" CC stay for the duration even if the damage runs out. I don't like it when I'm getting shot in the middle of the discharge animation just coz all the damage ticks have been used up by the hundreds of grineers that I'm trying to CC. That would be a much better buff to him.

I don't see why energy drain is a problem when he can carry his shield. Compare that Atlas' Tectonic which cannot be moved and needs either an augment or for you to cast twice to move to a new location. Add the fact that Volt's shield has infinite health and gives bonus damage to weapons, you can have 4 of these so you can easily cover 4 directions. 

Oh.. wait.. The argument is to buff his "Speed" ability... Hmm.. How does running faster make him a better warframe? If you think speed is such an important skill, then mod for it, put something like narrowminded and run to the ends of the Origin System. If you really want to run faster than anyone else, there are mods like Rush or Speed drift that can help you with that. 

I don't understand why volt needs a rework, he's in a pretty nice spot as it is. He transitions well from early game damage to high-level crowd control and defense. 

He should definitely get a base speed boost. I've always thought it was odd that without abilities Volt is the same speed as Rhino Prime (and much slower with arcane vanguard). I don't know if it really needs a redesign though - it's mostly a speed run frame, just like Nekros is mostly a survival/loot farming frame. Volt is still a great choice for capture missions and plenty of other stuff.

On 8/2/2017 at 1:38 AM, Sasquatch180 said:

The issue with that however is that certain maneuvers or actions will forcibly break someone out of their Sprint animations and back into walking.

I think personally there should be a built-in option inside the Gear / Emote selection screen you can bring up where it asks you if you want to opt out of certain buff effects from allies, and so long as you have that option confirmed no buff effects like Volt's Speed will effect you.

And for the record the buff effects would be only the commonly complained stuff like Volt's Speed, not other effects like Harrow's invincibility into Crit chance / damage and such.

What would force you out?

I think both options would work. The back flip is just ineffective. I hate getting speed from a volt because it doesnt last long enough and just interrupts the game. Its an unreliable buff.

27 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

What would force you out?

I think both options would work. The back flip is just ineffective. I hate getting speed from a volt because it doesnt last long enough and just interrupts the game. Its an unreliable buff.

Bullet Jumping into Slides and Rolls, both of which are THE most used mobility methods, will break you out of Sprint.

On 8/1/2017 at 10:49 PM, GeometricBison said:

Step 1: Increase his sprint speed to 1.15 from 1.00

Step 2: Add 5 seconds to Volt's Speed ability from 10 seconds to 15

Step 3: Have Discharge scale off of duration mods like Nova's Molecular Prime or Mag's Polarize

This is how Volt could be made better in 3 easy steps. Does it solve all of his problems? In my opinion, no. Does it still a lot of his problems? I'd like to think so.

As someone who doesn't play Volt ... what problems are you trying to solve with these changes?

Just now, Tuoweit said:

As someone who doesn't play Volt ... what problems are you trying to solve with these changes?

I'm trying to solve the problem of Volt getting left behind in a squad because a majority of the time the other frames have a faster base sprint speed and I'm trying to solve the problem of being forced to heavily go into power strength when building for Speed by increasing Volt's base sprint speed

I'm trying to fix the problem of Speed being way too short of an ability by increasing it's base duration by 5 seconds

I'm trying to reduce what I like to call "build disparity", where you can build a frame for two different abilities but not both at the same time. For most frames with build disparity it's not that big of a deal because the frame can still utilize the "un-built" for ability to some extent. With Volt, you can either build for Discharge and have Speed do the equivalent of nothing, or you can build for Speed and have Discharge do the equivalent of nothing. By making Discharge scale off of duration rather than range, the "build disparity" problem is no longer an issue. The problem of Discharge being an inconstant form of cc would still exist, but at least it'd be more convenient.

If you have any more questions about the post or my intentions, feel free to ask.

8 hours ago, Sasquatch180 said:

Bullet Jumping into Slides and Rolls, both of which are THE most used mobility methods, will break you out of Sprint.

Well then they shouldnt? But even so, if commen sense played a role in things, you would have the whole duration of the ability to opt in and out instead of opting out and losing the buff, because instead of the roll, its directly tied to your character sprinting or walking...

Edited by (PS4)WINDMILEYNO
Edit