Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt vs. Excalibur: 135 Ambulas Challenge

(PSN)theelix

I was told that it takes more skill to kill Ambulas with Volt than it does with Excalibur. I disagreed, and decided today I'd test it. 

And yes, the glaive was made for Excal's Exalted Blade. It had Condition overload on it, as well. 

Edit: Revised test, got both down to <15 seconds. Volt at 10, Excalibur at 12 due to a knockdown. 

Spoiler

Edited by (PS4)theelix

6 minutes ago, O.O_ said:

More like Excal vs buffed Sicarus p, not very fair, lol. And neither doesn't require skill.

Regardless of the weapon, Volt Shield trivializes the boss. The AI's not good enough to path around it and it only tries shooting over when you're far away. 

I could've used a Sybaris, Soma P, Latron and any of them would've been faster than Excalibur due to the boss' armor mechanic. 

12 minutes ago, (PS4)theelix said:

Regardless of the weapon, Volt Shield trivializes the boss.

Your Scourge doesn't agree.

And I doubt the second part but I don't have Ambulas scanned to test that. Just look how fast you kill him after that hp bar turned red. Not sure about Sybaris p, but Soma or latron don't strip armor that fast.

Just now, O.O_ said:

Your Scourge doesn't agree.

And I doubt the second part but I don't have Ambulas scanned to test that. Just look how fast you kill him after that hp bar turned red. Not sure about Sybaris p, but Soma or latron don't strip armor that fast.

Then that's just an added point for Volt being able to have more freedom to use his loadout instead of having to go in and out of toggled powers, if armor stripping is what you're most concerned about.

Volt is just a better choice in the long haul, and requires less to do the job. Put down shield, fire weapon/weapons. 

Excalibur (assuming needs armor strip) needs to fire stripping weapon, get close, use EB and RB, maybe stack Conditional overload. 

1 minute ago, -Trey- said:

Dunno what's the point of this.

If you picked proper weapons on volt it would be faster and you could use same weapons on excal too and just shoot him.

The point is to test, really. I mean, the real reasoning is "why not?" 

Also, the same weapons wouldn't work with Excalibur unless you're on a specific Radial Blind build. Ambulas grows resistant to debuff based powers and will shoot in the same direction as sounds. Along with the lack of the damage increase the shield gives, Excalibur would fall even further behind my test. 

44 minutes ago, (PS4)theelix said:

Also, the same weapons wouldn't work with Excalibur unless you're on a specific Radial Blind build. Ambulas grows resistant to debuff based powers and will shoot in the same direction as sounds. Along with the lack of the damage increase the shield gives, Excalibur would fall even further behind my test. 

Yes he does gain resistance but 135~ is still low enough for it not matter that much. I tried it and you can radial blind, throw few pox which will remove all armor and then literally 2 shot him with 2 shots to the front plate using weapon like tigris/ferrox/decent sniper with radiation.

This test makes absolutely no sense.

When you use attack powers on excalibur you should do the same on volt but you didnt.

Either you use on both the attack abilities or on both the same weapon.All other stuff makes no sense and is not a good test.

6 hours ago, Ksaero said:

I can imagine from that energy drain you simply dumped all the power strength mods on, which won't make for an actually playable build unless you plan to pull out Exalted Blade only to assassinate a high profile enemy in a few moments. It's nice in a Simulacrum test, but in an actual mission where you'll likely have to use powers often and have less than full energy that build is not viable. If you even had just 3/4ths of your full energy, you'd have barely enough energy to kill it. 

But I suppose the argument is also 'you'll not face a 135 Ambulas.'

Regardless, I've also found that Chromatic Blade in general performs poorly against Ambulas. Shattering Impact builds work far better so my test could be revised. I say this because proccing statuses isn't reliable on EB unless you get rid of the armor. Shattering Impact works regardless of this. 

40 minutes ago, Duckboy3825 said:

Mainly depends on how you play and what your play style is. Some volt players will hide behind their shield the entire time while some excalibur players just use their exalted blade and spam away at the E key.

I just used the most optimal strategy for each. Volt excels easily with crit weapons and his shield, especially since the shield abuses Ambulas' AI. Excalibur's best approach is raw damage via blinding and blading. 

I'm sure speed based Volts and blinding based Excaliburs will have far more different and difficult times fighting. 

11 hours ago, K0bra said:

This test makes absolutely no sense.

When you use attack powers on excalibur you should do the same on volt but you didnt.

Either you use on both the attack abilities or on both the same weapon.All other stuff makes no sense and is not a good test.

I have to disagree with that. That would be like testing Oberon's Smite against Volt's Shock -- there's a clear reason why it's not going to be as fast. I used the frame's advantages. Volt's advantage being deploying cover that buffs critical damage, Excalibur's being the ludicrously scaling condition overload + Combo counter + stealth multiplier.

Pitting Volt's shield and Shock vs Excalibur's Exalted Blade and Radial Blind would be an unfair test. The same for Volt's Shield + Weapons and Excalibur's Blind + Weapons. There's clear winners in both because in either case, one of the frames are not in their element, not using their advantages. 

Unless you're saying that I should've stripped armor before attacking Ambulas with Excalibur in which case I've already posted why that's a problem. 

Edited by (PS4)theelix