Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Newbie Needs Help Picking a Warframe

Arkion29

Question

Hello,

I just got into the game and I am looking for a Warframe that fits my playstyle.  I have played many MMOs in the past and I am really liking this one.  I really want to find the perfect fit, or at least something close.  

I really like playing ranged and I really want to use a big gun, maybe a heavy machine gun.   Glass cannons are fine for me.  

Also, are there any guides that show all the Warframes with roles, preferred playstyle (melee or ranged), strengths, weaknesses, and signature skills? 

Thank you in advance for the help. 

10 answers to this question

You could always try finding a Guide of the Lotus in one of the relays. They could help you in the game to decide. The Tenora would be a good primary since it is a mix of a machine gun but can fire a charged shot too. As for warframes, you could watch each warframe's profile video on youtube. That might help with choosing one.

Ranged combatant, huh? There are several range-oriented Frame: Volt, Mesa, Nova, Ivara, Banshee, Harrow. You can try to see which one suit you the best. Or, you can try to do a little digging on other Frames as well if it might also suit you better. Here's a wiki link for more info.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Warframes

Big guns? There are some heavy weapons. There are Single-shot oriented weapons such as Opticor, Ogris, Torid, various Sniper Rifles. For heavy machine guns: Soma, Gorgon, Tenora, Supra.

As for extensive info, the wiki does quite a good job on displaying information most, if not all, player could know

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

There are a lot of info, so trying to take them all in would take a while.

I would recommend Mag with a Gorgon or other High ROF weapons with low accuracy because of her third Magnetize  which attracts bullets in a vicinity of the target you so designate. This ability also persists after you kill your target and stores bullets fired into it and redirects them to new enemies who enter the sphere.

21 minutes ago, Gamma745 said:

Ranged combatant, huh? There are several range-oriented Frame: Volt, Mesa, Nova, Ivara, Banshee, Harrow.

Clan Tech, Need to finish a quest then wait for Invasions, not availabe till Europa, Spy reward and you need to have unlocked all planets up to at least Neptune, Clan Tech again, last quest in the story line so far...The guy said they are a noobie, at least attempt to mention a frame they can get quickly.

Also @Arkion29, try to get Frost, his parts drop from the boss fight on Mars. Shouldn't take too long to get there, it's right after Earth. As for the frame, It's more or less a supportive tank with a lot CC and all of it ranged.

Machine guns...I guess the earliest one you can get is the regular Gorgon, there aren't exactly many though, unleass you are fine with ARs.

1 minute ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

Clan Tech, Need to finish a quest then wait for Invasions, not availabe till Europa, Spy reward and you need to have unlocked all planets up to at least Neptune, Clan Tech again, last quest in the story line so far...The guy said they are a noobie, at least attempt to mention a frame they can get quickly.

Well, he said ranged units. I'm just mentioning what I can remember. Because if we want to be technical, all Frames can be used as a ranged combatant, even Excalibur, with the right weapons.

If you're in the mood to make good use of a BF gun, I'd recommend Mag, Nova, Harrow, or Banshee. Mag controls segments of the map with high damage, Nova is a wide-area mage that needs to stay on the backline, Harrow is if you crossed a regular support frame with John Wick, and Banshee is a CC-light glass cannon capable of the highest possible per-shot damage in the game.

EDIT: And Mirage, she can make copies of herself to fire multiple instances of your weapons.

As for weapons, explore! Flip through the Codex, find something that looks cool, try it out and experiment. Best o' luck out there, Tenno.

Edited by SenorClipClop

Thanks for all the help guys.  It is helping a lot. 

I got some Plat and I think I am just going to buy the Warfare and gun. Once I decide which one to get of course.  That way I can enjoy playing one I really like.

Out of curiosity, is Nekros a mêlée or ranged Warfare?  I really like the way he looks. 

6 minutes ago, Arkion29 said:

I got some Plat and I think I am just going to buy the Warfare and gun. Once I decide which one to get of course.  That way I can enjoy playing one I really like.

I would recommend to just farm the Warframe Blueprint and material instead. But I suppose it is your decision.

7 minutes ago, Arkion29 said:

Out of curiosity, is Nekros a mêlée or ranged Warfare?  I really like the way he looks. 

Can't really classify Nekros as melee or ranged, since most of his abilities are supportive in nature. I think I would call him 'balanced'. Can go melee if you want, can go ranged as well.

Ok, so I have decided to get Banshee.  Her kit looks amazing.  I know she is really squishy but I will make it work.  

What is the best weapon to get her?  Also, what mods should I use in her warframe?

Again, thanks for all the help you guys have given me.  It has helped out a great deal.