Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DoT Warframe?

Ceirnos

Question

I'm coming back to warframe and I'm curious if there is a Warframe that specializes in DoT damage. What I mean by DoT Frame (Damage over time, if you didn't know), is a frame that will use abilities to slowly whittle down enemies instead of doing damage straight up. If anybody here plays World of Warcraft, I'm looking for a frame similar to the playstyle of a Feral Druid, or an affliction warlock.

12 answers to this question

Saryn: her Spores do a Viral DoT
Equinox: his day-aspect Maim does Slash DoT (IIRC)
Ember: 3 of her powers do Fire damage (which of course has a DoT aspect)

that's all I can think of right now :)

(somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

8 minutes ago, GNAAHH said:

Saryn: her Spores do a Viral DoT
Equinox: his day-aspect Maim does Slash DoT (IIRC)
Ember: 3 of her powers do Fire damage (which of course has a DoT aspect)

that's all I can think of right now :)

(somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

I actually played a lot of Saryn when I did play. As for ember, I enjoyed her but people didnt enjoy me playing her. Anyways, hows the new Warframe? I was thinking of trying him out once my game finished installing, I think I have enough plat for him.

22 minutes ago, Ceirnos said:

I actually played a lot of Saryn when I did play. As for ember, I enjoyed her but people didnt enjoy me playing her. Anyways, hows the new Warframe? I was thinking of trying him out once my game finished installing, I think I have enough plat for him.

Harrow? I've actually fallen in love with him. Hes a jack of all trades and very close to being a master of all trades also.

his 1 is a fully spammable hard CC ability that holds enemies in a postion that makes it super easy to land head shots. In addition it also gives him shields/overshields per enemy hit (as long as they are not already under the effect of it)

his 2 consumes all your shields to give you a buff that increases your fire rate (and melee speed) and reload speed while healing you and your allies in affinity range for 5% of the damage done by harrow

his 3 channels and sucks up your energy and and the end of channeling gives you a buff that grants energy on kill based how how much energy you challened into it. this amount is multiplied by 4 for headshot kills

his 4 gives  instant invulnerability for a small duration. at the end of this duration, you and all allies affected by it, get a buff of increased crit chance based on how much damage the ability prevented. its capped at 50% and multiplied by 4 for headshots. This is also a flat value, not like how mods work. So if you have a weapon with 10% crit chance and get 50% crit from the buff you get a total of 60% crit chance instead of just 15% crit chance.

Edited by --Shadow-Stalker--

2 hours ago, Ceirnos said:

I'm curious if there is a Warframe that specializes in DoT damage.

FWIW, Ash has abilities that inflict Slash procs 100% of the time
and his passive makes those Slash procs even more deadly,
so slap e.g. a (Gas) Braton Prime / Kohm on him, and you've got DOTs for days.

Hydroid's puddle now has growing damage the longer the enemy is caught in it.

Resonating Quake Banshee deals stupid amounts of damage over a stupid huge area.

Volt's Discharge (max Range FTW) is a bit less ridiculous but allows you to stay mobile
(all the while overcharging your / your Squad's Shields with the Capacitance Augment, yay).

But yeah no, Saryn is the undisputed queen of DOTs.
Did you play her after the Miasma nerf her rework?
Because she's now quite a different Frame compared to before that.

Saryn.

I wouldn't call it specialization, but spores is pretty much a damage over time ability. It's not the only thing she does, but it's a part her repertoire.

If enemy levels get high enough, about anything could be regarded as damage over time.

There are lots of abilities that deal damage over time periods. It's pretty universal, really; no one 'frame specializes in it.

i would say msot efficient dot frame is saryn.

ember 4th skill is not as efficient as saryn because it doesnt affect multiple target at 1 go. the 3rd skill requires you to be in center but the range is not that wide.

but i do admit that ember is a much better CC.

equinox is good but the prime version is not out yet. so is not worth investing so much to this

1 minute ago, NinjaZeku said:

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

That's ... not a very sensible attitude to take if the Prime version is about 1.5 years off in the future.

is sensible not to invest in things that you will discard.

you should prioritize in things that you will keep.

but if you like it then go ahead.

On 12.8.2017 at 6:21 PM, Ceirnos said:

Her dot's are sadly the only thing that works. Her rework was supposed to include burst damage trough toxic dots but that aspect didn't work since her rework and never got attention. A lil underpowered as she is.

The other recommendations i 100% agree to

Nezha is also a candidate for this role. His firewalk pulls a trail of fire dots behind you (use his augument, unleashes the accumulated dot's into a single trail - high mobility frame, lots of fun) and Ash, doing strong slash proccs is too (...might take a while into the endgame until he feels like one tho...)

You mean Harrow? Harrow is pretty cool, quick Cc, good defense, decent support ... might require you to bring your arsenal up to date though. His abilitys all kinda center around you doing kills, giving you buffs that kinda work best with the current weapon meta (Reload speed - Tigris Prime, Crit - Some guns on specific builds but best results on Melee weapons with an adequate build.)

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Check out Octavia.  Her 1 and 4 are aoe dot's, and her 2 is a rolling ball of aoe/dot death when combined with 1.  Her 3 is a self and party small aoe with a bunch of different possible buffs: invis, speed, melee and range damage.  Play style is similar to EQ/WoW druid/shaman/necro/magician, crossed with a bard ;)

16 minutes ago, Ghostin21 said:

Check out Octavia.  Her 1 and 4 are aoe dot's, and her 2 is a rolling ball of aoe/dot death when combined with 1.

Amp doesn't deal damage, it "only" increases Mallet and weapon damage (also Mallet range).

Resonator I've found to be a bad idea if you actually want to kill stuff,
as many enemies will be distractedly following it around rather than shoot Mallet.
(If that mechanic has been improved since, ignore this.)

From a nuance perspective, Mallet isn't a DoT, but functions as one as long as enemies shoot at it.  Resonator actually has a DoT component, but generally causes less than Mallet.  As you note, Amp buffs Mallet (but not Resonator) damage.  Regardless, Octavia still plays in a way that would be familiar to a druid/warlock/necro etc.., even if the exact mechanics are different.

Generally speaking, I use Mallet/Amp for area denial (defense, survival, etc..) or to clear a room as a main source of damage.  I use resonator when moving/fighting so I/group can shoot/melee the mobs as the main source of damage, or if I need emergency cc. It has its uses (interception missions), or to distract mobs while I loot the room =p It's not an all-situations ability by any stretch though.  Metronome I try to keep up as much as I can.