The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Coop opting out

Fallen_Echo

im still trying to wrap my mind around how Volt's speed is such an issue. the only way i can see it being a problem is if the volt using it has a lot of power strength causing super speed or its messing with  people who do melee combo moves which require timing of button presses in some weapons and such which speed can throw off. i personally rarely have an issue with it and generally welcome it as most of my favorite frames are slow as balls and don't have room for things like rush / speed drift

3 hours ago, AnatharsWrath said:

im still trying to wrap my mind around how Volt's speed is such an issue. the only way i can see it being a problem is if the volt using it has a lot of power strength causing super speed or its messing with  people who do melee combo moves which require timing of button presses in some weapons and such which speed can throw off. i personally rarely have an issue with it and generally welcome it as most of my favorite frames are slow as balls and don't have room for things like rush / speed drift

Melee combos are, as you identified, a potential cause for concern.

Mostly it's about how for a lot of players and/or a lot of Warframes, the game is built to be fluid in motion. You develop muscle memory for the precise stats of the Warframe as you built it, but then - with no fault of your own but daring to play with other people - you're forced to effectively interrupt your gameplay (backflip) OR learn a different state of physics for whatever time the Volt has duration for.

And it can be different for any given Volt, depending on Power Strength. So it's not just learning two states of "this is how to operate with speed" / "this is how to operate normally".

Personally, as familiar as I am with momentum, the distance, speed and height I gain while parkouring around, having Speed active on me stops me from efficiently using my mobility to traverse tiles.

I don't want to try to tell that player not to use their Warframe's abilities, I don't want to abort missions with that Warframe in it, I want to opt out for my own reasons without impeding anybody's gameplay experience.

Speed was just one example, the discussion of which sparked making the original concept.

Banish (and now, potentially, Cataclysm-Stasis) is an interfering force that some people might just not want to deal with at all.

I might put down a duration-based Magnetise in choke points correctly, but some people would still rather shoot through them than into them for the damage-over-time; you're sacrificing that advantageous damage enhancement but preventing it from interfering with bullets.

There are even niche cases like Chromas wanting to avoid damage resistance buffs like Blessing leaves behind, by virtue of it making it harder to charge up the 'on-damaged' self-buffs.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

Was joking. I really don't think an opt out system is necessary. Just avoid those players. See a frame you don't like, leave. It takes all but 2 secs

You enter a mission with matchmaking open. A Volt joins but you dislike Speed. You began, partially played and are hosting this mission, but you should be necessitated to leave, else face the remainder of the mission doing backflips?

You enter a mission with matchmaking open. A Volt joins, bringing a disliked Speed buff but also useful shields and area crowd control. You began, partially played and are hosting this mission, and completely transparent to the Volt player your settings prevent Speed from affecting you(r movement). The mission proceeds as normal with this completely transparent opt-out, without any conversation ("no speed pls") or gameplay interruptions (backflips for days) being required.

You can leave, taking two seconds, requeue at the start of a mission (probably another 15-30 seconds in mission wait and loading at minimum)... or you can take exactly zero seconds by just continuing on while your opt-out settings take care of business.

Edited by EDYinnit

46 minutes ago, EDYinnit said:

You enter a mission with matchmaking open. A Volt joins but you dislike Speed. You began, partially played and are hosting this mission, but you should be necessitated to leave, else face the remainder of the mission doing backflips?

You enter a mission with matchmaking open. A Volt joins, bringing a disliked Speed buff but also useful shields and area crowd control. You began, partially played and are hosting this mission, and completely transparent to the Volt player your settings prevent Speed from affecting you(r movement). The mission proceeds as normal with this completely transparent opt-out, without any conversation ("no speed pls") or gameplay interruptions (backflips for days) being required.

You can leave, taking two seconds, requeue at the start of a mission (probably another 15-30 seconds in mission wait and loading at minimum)... or you can take exactly zero seconds by just continuing on while your opt-out settings take care of business.

So you're going to opt out every time a Warframe uses a mechanic you dislike? 

Just backflip dude. It's not that hard. Is volt recasting speed every 5 secs?

Can anyone actually provide video evidence whee a volt speed buff hindered thee gameplay because this just sounds like a means to complain.

1 hour ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

So you're going to opt out every time a Warframe uses a mechanic you dislike? 

Just backflip dude. It's not that hard. Is volt recasting speed every 5 secs?

Can anyone actually provide video evidence whee a volt speed buff hindered thee gameplay because this just sounds like a means to complain.

Sure. Why not improve my experience in a way that doesn't impact anyone else?

Is volt recasting speed every 5 seconds? Some might be. Some go out of their way to re-cast it whenever the buff is cleared. And whether it's backflipping on 5 second intervals, 10 second intervals or longer, it's still an impediment to gameplay that should be completely unnecessary. Prevention is better than cure.

I don't know how life is on consoles, but for me over on PC with the thousands-hour muscle memory of tight, precise control, getting the physics altered abruptly, temporarily yet repeatedly (and, for that matter, inconsistently between any two Volts) is like being instantly swapped from a nice fun playing of Sonic 3+K to the unadulterated frustrations of Sonic 2006 Mach Speed sections. never not topical

Edited by EDYinnit

10 minutes ago, EDYinnit said:

Sure. Why not improve my experience in a way that doesn't impact anyone else?

Is volt recasting speed every 5 seconds? Some might be. Some go out of their way to re-cast it whenever the buff is cleared. And whether it's backflipping on 5 second intervals, 10 second intervals or longer, it's still an impediment to gameplay that should be completely unnecessary. Prevention is better than cure.

I don't know how life is on consoles, but for me over on PC with the thousands-hour muscle memory of tight, precise control, getting the physics altered abruptly, temporarily yet repeatedly (and, for that matter, inconsistently between any two Volts) is like being instantly swapped from a nice fun playing of Sonic 3+K to the unadulterated frustrations of Sonic 2006 Mach Speed sections. never not topical

I have both a console and PC account mr 24 and 16 respectively.

I think you just may be overreacting. Does your world come to an end when you get hit with a cold proc? No it doesn't. 

Just adjust your movement or backflip. You're making a mountain out of a molehill with this complaint. Would you also like to opt out of rift feature? 

I'd like an opt out of giving teammates buffs feature because they didn't have to sacrifice mod slots get the effect that my character has but I did.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

I have both a console and PC account mr 24 and 16 respectively.

I think you just may be overreacting. Does your world come to an end when you get hit with a cold proc? No it doesn't. 

Just adjust your movement or backflip. You're making a mountain out of a molehill with this complaint. Would you also like to opt out of rift feature? 

I'd like an opt out of giving teammates buffs feature because they didn't have to sacrifice mod slots get the effect that my character has but I did.

I hate cold procs. They last way too friggin' long for my liking.

But the difference is, those are generally my fault (too much stray fire in Corpus areas) and are meant to be debilitating. Unlike Speed, which is another player's action and is meant to be an improvement - and for some it is - but to me, and those like me, it interferes.

Asking me to backflip also interferes. The status quo presents me with a lose/lose situation. Either I backflip every ten seconds when the Volt re-casts, or I get intimately familiar with the walls and doorways I ordinarily would have manoeuvred around properly.

And yes. Sometimes I would like to opt out of Rift, too. Because Stasis exists, and perhaps I don't like Limbo being a Loki for the enemy faction, forcing me to use melee.

When an effect is meant to be a detriment, asking for the ability to ignore it is asking for life to be made easier. Requesting others to avoid causing that effect is reasonable criticism. (stop shooting out the windows, dammit)

When an effect is meant to be helpful, asking for the ability to ignore it is, at worst, asking for life to be made harder. Requesting others to avoid causing that effect is selfish and inconsiderate.

There is no real reason for this not to be an option. It's strictly beneficial. Nobody's asking for an ability to be changed or withheld for people who like its effects, and nobody's prevented from playing alongside a certain warframe because they dislike a certain ability's effect. Everybody wins.