Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hush and its ilk

SpoonyBrad

It can seem deeply incongruous that mods which supposedly "silence" otherwise-loud weapons (like the Hush mod mentioned in the title) don't alter how loud they sound to fellow Tenno. I've actually (and more than once) been asked why I brought such a loud weapon to a stealth based mission (to then point out "it's silenced, you just can't hear it").

Having some kind of auditory change for weapons that have been modded to be quieter would be a good improvement, I think; it clues fellow Tenno in that "no, I am not in fact going loud and/or pulling out all the stops" without requiring explicitly telling them such. Just dropping the weapon's volume would not be a great fix, I know, but both dropping the volume and altering the pitch might work? A similar effect to the muffling I'm thinking of already exists in-game, courtesy of blowing out Corpus ship windows (among many, many other things), and having some sort of auditory cue that "this player is actually using a quiet weapon (courtesy of mods or being in a Banshee), despite it usually being a loud one" could really facilitate more effective teamwork.

2 minutes ago, SpoonyBrad said:

It can seem deeply incongruous that mods which supposedly "silence" otherwise-loud weapons (like the Hush mod mentioned in the title) don't alter how loud they sound to fellow Tenno. I've actually (and more than once) been asked why I brought such a loud weapon to a stealth based mission (to then point out "it's silenced, you just can't hear it").

Having some kind of auditory change for weapons that have been modded to be quieter would be a good improvement, I think; it clues fellow Tenno in that "no, I am not in fact going loud and/or pulling out all the stops" without requiring explicitly telling them such. Just dropping the weapon's volume would not be a great fix, I know, but both dropping the volume and altering the pitch might work? A similar effect to the muffling I'm thinking of already exists in-game, courtesy of blowing out Corpus ship windows (among many, many other things), and having some sort of auditory cue that "this player is actually using a quiet weapon (courtesy of mods or being in a Banshee), despite it usually being a loud one" could really facilitate more effective teamwork.

I think some weapons have this and some don't but it's just a matter of doing a LOT of Sound work.

1 minute ago, MagPrime said:

DE went to the trouble of adding elemental effects on weapons when we put on Fire, Ice, Toxin, etc., so I don't see why adjusting the sound of a weapon based on silencing mods would be too far out.

It's a matter of them just having to remake all loud weapons with a "Silenced" version, It will just double the sound work for every weapon.  I don't even know if they have a location sound thingy in the game. I vaguely remember a devstream of them showing it when the braton prime got new sounds.

1 minute ago, Andaius said:

It's a matter of them just having to remake all loud weapons with a "Silenced" version, It will just double the sound work for every weapon.  I don't even know if they have a location sound thingy in the game. I vaguely remember a devstream of them showing it when the braton prime got new sounds.

True.  I'm not saying this is a priority and it should be done right meow, just that they went to the effort of providing a visual component of how a mod changes a weapon, so doing a audio one wouldn't that be far fetched.

1 minute ago, Andaius said:

I think some weapons have this and some don't but it's just a matter of doing a LOT of Sound work.

A fellow insomniac, I see. Sound is not my area of expertise (at all: my hearing sucks, and my wife's the musician, not me), but an algorithmic modification to how things sound if they've been silenced (and guess what song just got stuck in my head) could be done relatively simply, unless I miss my guess (there are similar effects already present in game, and I don't think those were achieved by re-recording everything potentially involved; a first-pass version would probably make some weapons sound weird, but that's why it's called a first-pass version).

17 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

True.  I'm not saying this is a priority and it should be done right meow, just that they went to the effort of providing a visual component of how a mod changes a weapon, so doing a audio one wouldn't that be far fetched.

in a very very basic looking pseudo-code it would be

if(hush.equipped == true){

playSilencedSound;
}

The only issue being some weapons have a different rate of fire, but honestly using the same sound slightly pitch shifted or shortened should be enough to fix it.

1 minute ago, JSharpie said:

in a very very basic looking pseudo-code it would be

if(hush.equipped == true){

playSilencedSound;
}

The only issue being some weapons have a different rate of fire, but honestly using the same sound slightly pitch shifted or shortened should be enough to fix it.

...do you offer coding lessons?

9 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Bingo. I'm not saying it's a priority either, but that it's something DE should consider. The potential aid to teamwork (without having to stop to say "no, really, it's quiet, I promise (so please don't go loud)") and to immersion (when I first got the Angstrum and modded it for stealth, then described it as "my silenced rocket shotgun", it took my wife quite a while to stop cracking up) would be an improvement, I think, but there are probably other, more urgent matters. Still, the point of the feedback sub-forum is to say "hey, we want this" or "this would be better" (with at least one constructive suggestion about how to make the thing better!), and I don't think the change required would be all that complex as similar effects already exist in-game.

1 hour ago, SpoonyBrad said:

A fellow insomniac, I see. Sound is not my area of expertise (at all: my hearing sucks, and my wife's the musician, not me), but an algorithmic modification to how things sound if they've been silenced (and guess what song just got stuck in my head) could be done relatively simply, unless I miss my guess (there are similar effects already present in game, and I don't think those were achieved by re-recording everything potentially involved; a first-pass version would probably make some weapons sound weird, but that's why it's called a first-pass version).

Watching League of Legends worlds, they're on china time XD.

I agree with @Soki01; It should be as simple as adding a filter to the sound. The already do this when you are invisible with Loki or Ivara and when you use Banshee's Silence, the biggest difference being that it affects everything (meaning it is being added last). So why not add it in on just the weapon sound if the weapon is silenced?