Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Playing with a mouse and keyboard

(PSN)watt4hem

Question

How? I mean, how can you people move around so fast with a mouse and keyboard?

I wanna try and get into pc warframe and try out PoE (and the other contents) from a newbie's pov, but i ended up dead because i both move sluggishly, and aim like a grandma trying to put a string through a needle eye...

Are there any preferable key-bindings you use? Or is it just a 'get better with time' kinda thing?

Sidenote, i've grown up playing consoles, the only pc game i played a little were boardgames..

1 hour ago, 2old4gamez said:

..or plug in a compatible controller.

That's also an option, seing sony actually supports pc use for their controller, but i figure maybe learning to use kbm wouldn't do me harm either.

To be perfectly honest, i've only tried kbn for like a total of what, 3 hours? (2 sessions) due to irl stuff.

1 hour ago, I-OD said:

What l can’t grasp is how the pinky is able to reach Ctrl?

Like to hear how you set up your mouse and use the scroll wheel for anything else than changing weapons or power ?

Melee channeling is hard to grasp, why even use it, double damage?  On the controller quick melee and melee was the same key?

Oh i can reach ctrl alright, but do i know if i hit ctrl or alt (or the windows key ffs)? Most of the time, nope

Since i've only started in pc, i actually tried binding scroll to fire, ended up with a shtier aim because i move around the mouse when i scrolled lol

1 hour ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

That's also an option, seing sony actually supports pc use for their controller, but i figure maybe learning to use kbm wouldn't do me harm either.

To be perfectly honest, i've only tried kbn for like a total of what, 3 hours? (2 sessions) due to irl stuff.

Oh i can reach ctrl alright, but do i know if i hit ctrl or alt (or the windows key ffs)? Most of the time, nope

Since i've only started in pc, i actually tried binding scroll to fire, ended up with a shtier aim because i move around the mouse when i scrolled lol

Heh, I remember when the Windows key was first introduced I actually removed the key so I wouldn't hit it by accident. IRL stuff happens, and should always take priority, so I'd hardly sweat that. Binding mouse scroll to fire is a useful thing for guns that have semi-auto triggers, since you can probably scroll faster than you can frenziedly click the LMB, but it's not so hot for anything else, and I personally wouldn't want to have to fiddle around in the options menu every time I change my loadout. I tend to bind melee attacks to one of the side buttons on my mouse; not long after getting Hirudo I literally broke the button from spamming melee attacks so fast (in fairness, this mouse was a few years old, and was already wearing out in other ways).

Experiment and see what works for you (or stick with a controller if you prefer). Just keep fighting, Tenno, and you'll get the hang of it.

4 hours ago, (PS4)Whattamattu said:

i can only play pc with a controller... tried kb+m (been building/using comp since 1980)(kb+m, gamepad, joysticks, flight sticks, wheels....  trackballs) what i have found

the sensitivity settings for mouse suck &#!...  every other game i play on pc, no problems... and that includes many other fps/3rdps... load up WF and it is horrible...  go to set up everything while in ship, go to mission and EVERYTHING feels like it is a snails pace...   setup things for in mission, get back in ship....  i've seen entitlement snowflakes that cry over everything that are less touchy... ie bump the mouse and doing 360's... VERY disorienting...  

however fiddle with stupid 3rd party software to get ps4 controller working on pc... copy my settings from console, minor +adj....   and if not for the smaller screen...  feels exactly like playing on console.

i would much rather play w/kb+m on pc, but until they can fix the sensitivity BS, between in ship and in mission... i'll stay with my controller

I don't have this issue at all. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone that has. For me it seems fine between the ship and a mission.

I've used the default key-binds for years and having played both parkour 1.0 and 2.0 I've come up with a progression system. Bullet jump + midair crouch jump + aim-glide + midair roll is always the fastest way to move so when you enter a tile assess it and determine how much of that you can perform on your first jump without running into walls or the ceiling. Reassess whenever you land and remember to always land crouching so you slide. If you are in close quarters you may forgo the roll because the next door is too close or you may skip the second jump so you can correct after the roll. When you come in for a landing you may want to spin attack as you are anticipating landing in enemies.

It's based on the greatest amount of distance you can cover in a single jump without touching the ground and without using abilities. It goes; Bullet Jump -> Crouch Jump -> Hold Aim-glide for the rest of this -> Midair roll -> Upwards air attack with melee weapon -> Spam crouch -> do previous until you run out of aim-glide -> crouch and pulse aim-glide (as your aim-glide meter will have partly replenished by then) when you get close to the ground to make smooth transition. If you do this right you can go right back into it as you slide across the ground after landing by tapping space to perform another bullet jump. With the right melee weapon and enough attack speed you can just about fly using just a starting bullet jump, aim-glide and melee air attacks.

I've changed crouch button to mouse 5 for my right thump.

In every other game ctrl does this trick quite good but in warframe it's so mandatory that I think my left hand falls apart after a long session.

In melee mode my attack is on mouse 1 for easier slide attacks and gameplay in general