The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's talk about set mods.

Sir_Long

So the new set mods are neat in design but have no place in high end content in which they are rewarded from, (30-60 bounties in Plains of Eidolon). I currently own 2 of a set, the gladiator set, in which I'll use to fuel my point and give feedback in how to improve the set mods to be viable in current builds. 

1. First issue is the lack of stats on the mod, for instance the gladiator aegis mod is 45% armor(max rank) for the warframe. This is not a usable replacement, side-grade, upgrade to steel fiber. The set mods need to be comparable to existing mods or be an upgrade. If steel fiber is 110% armor at max rank the gladiator aegis mod needs to be 110% or higher.
  2. The second issue is that there isnt enough mod slots available on a warframe to make these viable for use unless the first issue is addressed. No one will use gladiator resolve (180% health max rank) in place of a vitality nor will they sacrifice another mod to use both. Most warframes (i assume) are balanced around the use of the mods that were available before Plains of Eidolon, thus these mods have no place in any warframe build at this moment. 
  3. The Gladiator set specifically as a major flaw that prevents real merit of use, that flaw is then compounded heavily by the first two issues. No one is going to sacrifice 6 mods slots across their loadout to accommodate a set that can be achieved by a single mod ei. Bloodrush or a riven mod. 

Now lets talk about how to fix these issues, outside of a direct buff to each mod, scaling of each mod based off of how many mods you have in a set is a viable option. Say you have 2 pieces of a set equipped, on top of getting additive value of the set bonus the mods making up the set will scale up as well, if the 2 mods are equipped, gladiator aegis and resolve, you'd get 55% armor from the aegis and 220% health from the resolve. Thus when you have the full set equipped you would receive the same amount of stats or more from the set mods compared to the mods you had to replace to accommodate the new set mods.

If my suggestion is implemented all the current issues with the set mods should be well covered and bring new life into the game from a builds perspective and a new joy of collecting the set mods. Right now the set mods are simply useless mods clustering up the bounty reward system.

Best regards,

Sir_Long

P.S. Please leave real comments and additional ideas in the comment section below. I hope DE gets around to reading this post and all the additional comments from the community.    

I will take your word on how lacking in use they are, as I have not found any myself.

Personally, if they were to buff them I'd rather see them make the set effect more potent rather than upgrading the direct effects of each mod. Well, no, to better define what I'd like, I'd like to see them focus on making the set effects useful first and making the mods themselves useful second. I mean, like that [Augur Accord] boosts shield capacity by 180% and a maxed redirection does that by 400%. That set effect better be something strong.

It ain't.  I can get like, what, 3000 shields over the course of one cast of capacitance-enhanced overload if I'm being constantly hit or on fire. 150% of the ability's cost is 60 shields.

I don't want these mods to be direct upgrades to their normal counterparts but they should definitely be viable options if they, theoretically, coincide with a player's fighting style.

If they aren't already, they should also probably be capable of working to a lesser extent if less than all of the mods are equipped, I will also add.

Well, as said the mods aren't nearly good enough and except for Gladiator the set bonuses aren't good enough either.

Vigilante's bonus in an absolute best case scenario for a 100% crit chance weapon is still less than a mod like Point Strike would give that weapon and you're sacrificing 6 mod slots for that....  On weapons under 100% crit chance the value is even lower by every % under 100 your weapon has.

Augur's bonus just isn't going to be good until shields are good. The numerical values are irrelevant for the most part. There's maybe 4 frames in the game where this would be anything more than pointless. A very niche situation for a set bonus designed to entice build diversity.

It looks like they were going for Melee, Gunplay and Caster but these mechanics just don't work. Vigilante should prolly be more like a 30% additive chance to crit on normal hits and increase a crit by one level. Being tied exclusively to crit weapons is very limiting. Auger, I just dunno. Shield are bad. They could do something like a stagger-less QT but I know they already added a mod like that.

1 hour ago, (PS4)OblKase said:

Has any one got and tested these new MODS? I just saw a video testing ONE just one giving multishot or crit, 5% increase and I liked what I saw.

Looking forward to seeing a whole set tested.

Only use I've found for them is as a capacity filler when ranking up weapons and I've got a few spare points. No serious build is going to use them as they are.

21 hours ago, Sir_Long said:

First issue is the lack of stats on the mod, for instance the gladiator aegis mod is 45% armor(max rank) for the warframe. This is not a usable replacement, side-grade, upgrade to steel fiber. The set mods need to be comparable to existing mods or be an upgrade. If steel fiber is 110% armor at max rank the gladiator aegis mod needs to be 110% or higher.

WHAT no, the point of these mods is that they have a secondary bonus, like armored agility they have to have LESS than the normal mods to compensate, if it gave more armor than Steel fiber it simply would be a straight upgrade with no downsides, you should try and think about game balance.

This is all about game balance, these are suppose to be HIGH level mods, thus they should out class the low tier mods like steel fiber and vitality. the set bonus pales in comparison.

The set bonus for the gladiator set is completely out classed by a single mod. So would you trade 6 mods slots for half a blood rush mod? I doubt it if you do then you must be running lvl 10 missions. 

4 minutes ago, Sir_Long said:

This is all about game balance, these are suppose to be HIGH level mods, thus they should out class the low tier mods like steel fiber and vitality. the set bonus pales in comparison.

The set bonus for the gladiator set is completely out classed by a single mod. So would you trade 6 mods slots for half a blood rush mod? I doubt it if you do then you must be running lvl 10 missions. 

These mods are available on Earth, where is the high level on earth? and there is no such thing as "High Level" mods a maxed vitality is not something a noob has access to actually I didn't have it maxed until Mr 14

edit: Also Game balance is having everything have ups and downs and not having something straight up superior, what you are thinking about is game Progression

Edited by Dwolfknight

Do you realise that these set mods are rewards from level 40+ bounties right? And MR cannot be used to signify skill or progression in the game when MR can be farmed up to and past mr 16 in less the 24 hours if its all you do ( boring but can and has been done). 

1 minute ago, Sir_Long said:

Do you realise that these set mods are rewards from level 40+ bounties right? And MR cannot be used to signify skill or progression in the game when MR can be farmed up to and past mr 16 in less the 24 hours if its all you do ( boring but can and has been done). 

See the edit from my reply, anyway what you are asking for is called PowerCreep, and not balance.

You mean an actual upgrade to mods you can get in the first 5 mins of the game? whats wrong with that? Why not give veteran players something to thrive for and play for?

As these mods stand they offer nothing new to the game nor additional paths to an end goal. Having these mods become superior would be nice but having them a side grade with comparable stats would make them desirable for players that are in sortie level content, not just garbage thats clustering up the high level bounties in the plains, I want these mods to be good, good enough to be worth my time. Having them take 3 warframe mod slots and 3 melee slots for a tad over half the effect of blood rush, and having sub-par stats compared to existing mods is not going to cut it.

Edited by Sir_Long

5 minutes ago, Sir_Long said:

You mean an actual upgrade to mods you can get in the first 5 mins of the game? whats wrong with that? Why not give veteran players something to thrive for and play for?

As these mods stand they offer nothing new to the game nor additional paths to an end goal. Having these mods become superior would be nice but having them a side grade with comparable stats would make them desirable for players that are in sortie level content, not just garbage thats clustering up the high level bounties in the plains, I want these mods to be good, good enough to be worth my time. Having them take 3 warframe mod slots and 3 melee slots for a tad over half the effect of blood rush, and having sub-par stats compared to existing mods is not going to cut it.

Having the set mods effect be better is a possibility but having the actual stats be better than the base mods is powercreep and completely out of the question.

The effects should be half or lower than the base mods

Edited by Dwolfknight

Just now, Dwolfknight said:

Having the set mods effect be better is a possibility but having the actual stats be better than the base mods is powercreep and completely out of the question

So every new frame, every new weapon released is out of the question for you as well, huh? cause they ALWAYS release something new and better. Its about time the mods get some too.

Exactly, Im proposing a direct side grade to existing mods to make the new set mods interchangeable with existing mods. In my original post i had a way to fix them that scaled the base stats off of the amount of mods you have in the set that could scale to or surpass existing mods, this would require you to have ALL of the mods in the set to be competitive with the existing mods and give some people something to hunt and thrive for.  

1 minute ago, Sir_Long said:

So every new frame, every new weapon released is out of the question for you as well, huh? cause they ALWAYS release something new and better. Its about time the mods get some too.

Just because a new weapon comes out doesn't mean it is better, take Fusilai as an example, Gara is a strong frame doesn't mean she is better then what we had before arca plasmor and twin Krohlur are exeptions

19 minutes ago, Sir_Long said:

Yeah right, keep pretending that someone can reach MR16 in 24 hours in a game where building a warframe takes three days and most weapons take 12-24 hours to complete. In 24 hours a player will typically have only unlocked a couple junctions, maybe leveled his starter frame to max if he's hardcore and perhaps managed to fill in his weapon and warframe slots, leaving him stuck at like MR4-6 because he no longer has plat and cannot even buy new stuff. Even with infinite plat and people gifting pre-built frames to the guy it woudn't be feasible.

1 minute ago, Dwolfknight said:

Just because a new weapon comes out doesn't mean it is better, take Fusilai as an example, Gara is a strong frame doesn't mean she is better then what we had before arca plasmor and twin Krohlur are exeptions

And now you are making exceptions.......tsk tsk. To each their own i suppose.

The point is powercreep has been in the game and will remain in the game, its just another way DE makes things fresh. Every prime release is a literally powercreep in raw stat form. Like it or not thats the truth.

Anyway back to topic, I think set mods should be slightly weaker than their regular counterparts, but have a very nice bonus to compensate... And ideallly no set should have terrible mods that nobody wants to use... Every mod needs to be an essential mod , basically.