Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

mods for amps

Ragingwasabi

Just a suggestion:

I think operator amps should be moddable. they are part of endgame content which we grind for and build ourselves and yet they are so weak and useless on high level enemies. So giving them some mods (and ability to potato and forma) would help with that. the mods will also introduce more endgame goals for players. these mods can all be gold and r14 or something so they take forever to max. they should be bought from the quills shop once we hit max rank with them.

In the old days, before Open Beta, we had node trees for all our weapons and warframes. Along the tree were nodes for base stats (damage, fire rate, health etc) and empty slots for mods. You had to actually unlock your mod slots, and you only had a finite amount of capacity for your tree, so no tree could be entirely maxed out. This meant you could build for more mod slots, or build for more powerful abilities, or better base stats etc.

Instead of yet another set of mods to farm, level, and balance, I think we should get Amp Trees. Give them set branches for each actual piece, so identical amps would have identical trees, allow players to re-spec their trees at will, and instead of mod slots, have Augment crystals or something. The Augment crystals would be the unique effects and bonuses that people want from mods, but instead of being part of yet another mod system.

You could give bonus capacity to the amp tree for players with a maxed out focus school, and maybe maxing out all the 5 schools could give you maximum capacity for the amp trees or something.

That way, players would feel like they have more unique amps, and players who have maxed everything out still get some form of reward for their hard work

35 minutes ago, Ragingwasabi said:

amps are devices so i think mods make sense for them. its the reason our operators dont have mods according to the devs. tho why they gave pets mods...

Guess explanation is collars , u put mods into their collars ( easier to accept this way )

to OP , yea that could be nice to put mods into amps , maybe not 8 slots but a few could work.

warframe has always been a game where you could take a weapon and make it your own
there are currently 27 variants for amps, but theres not a whole heap of difference between them

with mods the differences could be staggering, especially with specialized mods (like a mod that can only be applied if the amp has a certain part in it)
it doesnt need a lot of slots, or a lot of mods, but something would be nice

currently amps just feel flat, generic, and boring
and maybe the answer isnt mods, maybe its something else, idk

9 hours ago, Ragingwasabi said:

amps are devices so i think mods make sense for them. its the reason our operators dont have mods according to the devs. tho why they gave pets mods...

Well, the thing is, if Amps get mods, why don't the armour/suit sets for Operators have mods? By your logic, they too are craftable devices (the new ones are craftable, anyway).

I just feel that a mod system would be boring, un-fun, and would overall promote meta builds. We don't need an Amp version of Serration. We don't need an Amp version of Point Strike.

The benefit of my idea, is that any mod that has a unique affect beyond just stats (things with triggered effects, like +Stat after kills, +Stat after headshots, etc) could still be added as an Augment option to the tree. Players who want more base stats can take more base stat nodes, and players who want more versatility, or higher power stats that need triggers to activate, can all build for those as they see fit. It adds all the room we want for more unique amps, without making it overly complicated for DE. They were the ones who came up with the concept originally, so it'd be pretty easy for them to remake it, but better than it used to be.

4 hours ago, Xarteros said:

Well, the thing is, if Amps get mods, why don't the armour/suit sets for Operators have mods? By your logic, they too are craftable devices (the new ones are craftable, anyway).

I just feel that a mod system would be boring, un-fun, and would overall promote meta builds. We don't need an Amp version of Serration. We don't need an Amp version of Point Strike.

The benefit of my idea, is that any mod that has a unique affect beyond just stats (things with triggered effects, like +Stat after kills, +Stat after headshots, etc) could still be added as an Augment option to the tree. Players who want more base stats can take more base stat nodes, and players who want more versatility, or higher power stats that need triggers to activate, can all build for those as they see fit. It adds all the room we want for more unique amps, without making it overly complicated for DE. They were the ones who came up with the concept originally, so it'd be pretty easy for them to remake it, but better than it used to be.

im not gonna argue if de introduces mods for operator suits either.

and im not sure one of the most interesting and fun parts of warframe (modding system) can just become boring all of a sudden because theres one more thing u get to mod?

5 hours ago, Ragingwasabi said:

im not gonna argue if de introduces mods for operator suits either.

and im not sure one of the most interesting and fun parts of warframe (modding system) can just become boring all of a sudden because theres one more thing u get to mod?

I don't see how mods are one of the most interesting and fun parts about warframe. You basically have to run Damage, Multishot, and then other damage/multishot mods based on what weapon type. DE have said that they want to get rid of mandatory mods, but they haven't taken any step to do so. They could START with Amps, but then again that's basically what I'm asking for.

I'm asking for mods, in the sense of the interesting mods with special effects. The reason I want something like an 'Augment crystal' instead of yet another mod card, is because the loot tables are already so horrendously bloated, and we have all these resources and activities that don't really have a purpose. We've got all these plant extracts you can scan, we've got all these fish components and new minerals, why can't we just have something a bit different? 

There's nothing you could make in a mod that you couldn't just convert to some kind of craftable crystal that sockets in, and the heavy difference of the Amps vs our Warframes/Weapons merits a different system of upgrading. The upgrades should be themed more to focus and void power, not just regular old mods. Plus, with the tree from the old system, you could build your path to get more mod nodes, or you could branch out for special stat effects or bonuses. DE could really ramp up the system to make every build innovating and fun in its own right, without having any clear 'meta'. Mods, on the other hand, are very plain to see meta builds, and just become yet another boring homogenised system where the wrong mod build just sucks, or the mods are all so useless that no build feels interesting. I think that, no matter what, any system of further upgrading our Amps will be different from our current system (at the very least in terms of number of slots, and capacity max)

This is, of course, my opinion, as is yours. I'm not saying it's inherently better in any way, I'm just saying that as a veteran since Update 3 in closed beta, I really don't feel like mods would do this new system justice.