The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Got A Forma As A Login Reward.....use It On My One And Only Warframe?

Lucilius

Question

Let it rest in your inventory for a little while, it's most useful when you get higher tier mods and you'll probably eventually find somewhere it'll feel like you need it, but until you get a lot of them, I suggest not wasting them when you do.

I agree that you should wait. The longer you save it and use it to attack polarize something powerful (like a Hek, Boltor, or clan weapon) the more bang for your buck you'll get.

It's very useful for your direct damage upgrades like serration and multishot.

Good advices, I'll add my 2 cent and further elaborate:

0) in mod pt terms, a potato is roughly = 6 forma. A forma do have additional utility of building clan tech weapons.

1) I wouldn't forma anything until I've potated it. Potato = +30 pts, forma = +4 to +7 pts.

2) Frames are fine with just a potato + aligned aura, which more then enough for all the essentials. Forma is more a luxury on frames past that point in most cases, better spend on weapons which will bring more utility relatively. I wouldn't even think about throwing forma on a frame until you're far more experienced, and know exactly which frame and why you want more mod pts on it.

3) You won't be able to build the most useful clan tech weapons for a long while due to rank requirements. The nicer ones are: Acrid, Ogris, Flux, Lanka (Some may not be your style, though all of them are endgame effective. Lanka though is really for the very endgame, it can be a bit too clunky for early to mid/late-game). Mastery rank requirements - Acrid (7), Ogris (7), Lanka (7), Flux (6)... and torid if you really like defense (4). By the time you reach rank 7, you'll have won another 1-3 forma from daily spin and perhaps another 2-5 forma from void.

4) Priorities for your forma(s) should your most powerful or favorite weapons. (endgame viable ones preferable if you're a min-max type, meaning AP/AI sidearm, AP/AI primary with some exceptions like all shotguns, ogris ...etc) 2 Vs on any weapon is very very nice.

Bottom-line: at your point, save it for later.

Good advices, I'll add my 2 cent and further elaborate:

0) in mod pt terms, a potato is roughly = 6 forma. A forma do have additional utility of building clan tech weapons.

1) I wouldn't forma anything until I've potated it. Potato = +30 pts, forma = +4 to +7 pts.

2) Frames are fine with just a potato + aligned aura, which more then enough for all the essentials. Forma is more a luxury on frames past that point in most cases, better spend on weapons which will bring more utility relatively. I wouldn't even think about throwing forma on a frame until you're far more experienced, and know exactly which frame and why you want more mod pts on it.

3) You won't be able to build the most useful clan tech weapons for a long while due to rank requirements. The nicer ones are: Acrid, Ogris, Flux, Lanka (Some may not be your style, though all of them are endgame effective. Lanka though is really for the very endgame, it can be a bit too clunky for early to mid/late-game). Mastery rank requirements - Acrid (7), Ogris (7), Lanka (7), Flux (6)... and torid if you really like defense (4). By the time you reach rank 7, you'll have won another 1-3 forma from daily spin and perhaps another 2-5 forma from void.

4) Priorities for your forma(s) should your most powerful or favorite weapons. (endgame viable ones preferable if you're a min-max type, meaning AP/AI sidearm, AP/AI primary with some exceptions like all shotguns, ogris ...etc) 2 Vs on any weapon is very very nice.

Bottom-line: at your point, save it for later.

pretty much explained quite a few things. when i first started, the terms potato kept bugging me haha..  

wait until you get your weapons up you'll excede the mod capacity on your weapon long before it's a problem on your warframe  (and try a few out first before you commit and forma something like a mk-1 braton)

I agree based on what clannies have told me re the forma, but i find the above answer an interesting one. For me, since starting (very recently) my warframe has far outlevelled my weapons levelling. What i mean (and i assume this is in line with what you said) is that as of right now with 15 hours played, my frame is at rank 25, my mk i bratton is 22, my lato is 19 and my skana is 18. I must be doing it wrong for what you say to be true or i am just misunderstanding. Granted i have run my maps solo except for bosses and mobile defenses and defenses, but having just attempted the first earth mission i got slaughtered by the napalmers, flamers and tp'ing melee dudes.

Excalibur is a awesome frame to use. But Warframes DON'T need a forma because putting in a maxed out Aura of a matching polarity gives you more than enough to put all the required mods in maxed out condition, or at least most of them.

So NO don't use up forma on a Warframe. Save it for weapon research or on the weapon itself.

Excalibur is a awesome frame to use. But Warframes DON'T need a forma because putting in a maxed out Aura of a matching polarity gives you more than enough to put all the required mods in maxed out condition, or at least most of them.

So NO don't use up forma on a Warframe. Save it for weapon research or on the weapon itself.

Excalibur's aura slot doesn't have a polarity symbol, so if OP was running a lot of high-ranked defensive mods or something I could see him needing one. That said, OP, if your current build+mod levels are leaving you with spare capacity, follow the consensus here and save that forma. There are multiple uses for them and using a forma on frames is far less necessary than super-charging. Weapons (Especially those that lack a V slot, or a polarity altogether) are a different story.

Excalibur's aura slot doesn't have a polarity symbol, so if OP was running a lot of high-ranked defensive mods or something I could see him needing one. That said, OP, if your current build+mod levels are leaving you with spare capacity, follow the consensus here and save that forma. There are multiple uses for them and using a forma on frames is far less necessary than super-charging. Weapons (Especially those that lack a V slot, or a polarity altogether) are a different story.

I am running a lot of high-ranked defensive mods. I just upgraded and upgraded mods until I reached level 30 BECAUSE I NEVER KNEW WARFRAMES HAVE A MAXIMUM LEVEL OF 30!!!!!!.

I'm out of mod points....my current build is a pseudo-tank Excaliber with high-ranked shields, health, and shield recharge mods. For an Excaliber, mine is Sssslooowwww....

I say "pseudo-tank" because even with these high-ranked defensive mods, I cannot break the mobs of Grineer and or Corpus, mobs with all sorts of enemies, not just the grunts. Can't break through either towards Earth or Jupiter. Its a Tenno slaughterhouse for me. A maxed-out Slash Dash isn't enough to kill higher level enemies. An upgraded Radial Javelin can't clear the area of enemies....

I have no spare-capacity to speak of. 

Edited by Lucilius

If you're not a P2P player I'd say build a couple more weps/ frames before you use it. You know, these things honestly don't come too often.

I know. I've got login rewards that I can't use because they are XP-locked.

I  say "pseudo-tank" because even with these high-ranked defensive mods, I cannot break the mobs of Grineer and or Corpus, mobs with all sorts of enemies, not just the grunts. Can't break through either towards Earth or Jupiter. Its a Tenno slaughterhouse for me. A maxed-out Slash Dash isn't enough to kill higher level enemies. An upgraded Radial Javelin can't clear the area of enemies....

I have no spare-capacity to speak of.

Sounds like you'll love Rhino. He's a great tank. His first ability is pretty much a weaker Slash Dash and his last ability is amazing for one-shotting anything up to level 80 if modded right. Iron Skin can absorb like 1200 damage and Roar is an awesome team buff.

If you just want to be a tank, Trinity is best tank.

I'll be honest: I was forced to forma my Excal when Auras were introduced. Now that auras boost mod capacity instead...

And if anyone asks: yes, at that time, Excalibur was my only frame. Why? None of the others appealed to me. The only reason I got Vauban was because of defense missions, but even then, I don't use him that much.

my frame is at rank 25, my mk i bratton is 22, my lato is 19 and my skana is 18. I must be doing it wrong 

Here is part of the problem.  The weapons you start with are horrible (especially trying to solo with them), aside from the lato (it's ok).  You should try to get the Cronus bp from Mercury and build that for your melee weapon.  Buy a couple BPs from the market for better primary/secondary weapons (try the Kunai for secondary and maybe the Braton for primary).  Once you build them, run the first few mission on Mercury to level them up a bit if you want to run solo.  These will make a huge difference when running Earth solo.