Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Needs Gunswords

Scarletmenace

Personally I'm not a fan of the gunblade idea because it doesn't amuse me aesthetically.

However I find the whole argument of "never in real history" being applied to this game to be misplaced.

At no point in history were people able to do several things that we do in warframe.

Isn't doing things never done in real history kind of the point of being in a sci fi universe?

But even just looking at real life.

At one point there was no vehicle that was both good in water and on land. now there is.

At one point there was no device that was both a phone and a camera. now there is.

Follow this through...

Just because we have yet to see a melee/gun weapon function to a certain capacity doesn't mean it wont happen eventually.

I disagree with having a gunsword occupy both primary/secondary and melee slots. It would be too much work to rework the system just for one or two new weapons.

The way I see it, the gunsword would go into the melee slot and act like a longsword, but its ground execution would be a gunshot to the downed enemy (whether it hits the head or body or whether it counts as armor ignore would be up to the devs). Also, the ground execution animation of a gunsword would be faster than those of other melee weapons (no need to do a dramatic stab when you can just shoot him) to enable multiple executions in quick succession and potentially a new way to play melee.

This way one could have the awesomeness of a gunsword which fills a unique niche (melee style focusing on knockdown and rapid execution) while being relatively easy for DE to implement (compared to other implementations of gunswords).

I apologize in advance if this has already been suggested. I only looked at the first and last pages of the thread.

They're real weapons though, and existed before anime did.

Cutlass_pistol_on_display_at_Salem_Pirat

just to show "iam rich and extra special" . not for the battlefield

a "retro lancer" gun is good. because a soldier can hold it with both hands and have the full power and control of the blade. but a one handet gunblade?...its not a real gun and not a real blade.dafuq XD

its not a finalized invention because it have fail on the open battlefield.

just to show "iam rich and extra special" . not for the battlefielda "retro lancer" gun is good. because a soldier can hold it with both hands and have the full power and control of the blade. but a one handet gunblade?...its not a real gun and not a real blade.dafuq XDits not a finalized invention because it have fail on the open battlefield.

ya this is a game though

While the idea of a gunblade would certainly make FF fanboys' pants tighter, the truth is no, this will never happen. An actual gun, with a sword, that is able to both shoot bullets and slash, will not make it into this game, and if it does, it will be terrible. From a balance standpoint, the weapon would probably be very overpowered if it was at all worth using for both of its functions. If only one is worth using, then what's the point of the weapon? You might as well just be using a gun or a blade on its own.

And in terms of realism/lore, Tenno are far from stupid. Gunblades, from a combat standpoint, are awfully stupid. <_<

So no, I really doubt they will ever be added. A melee weapon, with a high-damage charge attack, that has limited uses before recharging, sounds much more plausible and like something I personally would enjoy using. Might be tough to balance though.

ya this is a game though

i know. but there are some differences between an anime game like FF,devil may cry, metal gear rising and warframe.

stop beeing so...MANGA-.-

manga and anime is destoying your own power of imagination.Oo thats because many artschool teachers hate mangas.

hard work to wash thier mind and open it for REAL thinks.

when i ask you: why will you have a gunblade?...its because you have a grate emotional time with the charackters of FF8.

thats the only reason. nothing more.

animefans are so annoying. they are fixed to hard in this and you cant start a duscusion with them. please free your mind for this forum.!-.-

sorry. but groaaw!

i know. but there are some differences between an anime game like FF,devil may cry, metal gear rising and warframe.

stop beeing so...MANGA-.-

manga and anime is destoying your own power of imagination.Oo thats because many artschool teachers hate mangas.

hard work to wash thier mind and open it for REAL thinks.

when i ask you: why will you have a gunblade?...its because you have a grate emotional time with the charackters of FF8.

thats the only reason. nothing more.

animefans are so annoying. they are fixed to hard in this and you cant start a duscusion with them. please free your mind for this forum.!-.-

sorry. but groaaw!

I played final fantasy Viii years ago and never understood why people liked gun-swords.

While the idea of a gunblade would certainly make FF fanboys' pants tighter, the truth is no, this will never happen. An actual gun, with a sword, that is able to both shoot bullets and slash, will not make it into this game, and if it does, it will be terrible. From a balance standpoint, the weapon would probably be very overpowered if it was at all worth using for both of its functions. If only one is worth using, then what's the point of the weapon? You might as well just be using a gun or a blade on its own.

And in terms of realism/lore, Tenno are far from stupid. Gunblades, from a combat standpoint, are awfully stupid. <_<

So no, I really doubt they will ever be added. A melee weapon, with a high-damage charge attack, that has limited uses before recharging, sounds much more plausible and like something I personally would enjoy using. Might be tough to balance though.

Swords that use a cartridge to cause an explosion on impact are about the only thing that comes to my mind when someone use the phrase gun-sword.

Edited by LazyKnight

I would be perfectly okay with a bayonetted gun (I gotta agree with the anti-FF folks on the "no swords more than twice our size" thing) though I imagine from a gameplay standpoint they would have to make some major changes to how gun/swordplay works since melee weapons are completely seperate from guns, so I can't honestly say I can see this happening in this game (unless the bayonet was purely asthetic).

Interestingly, this would actually be relatively simple to implement.

It's just Animations.  Instead of having an animation of "Holster gun- draw melee- swing melee-" it would be "Stab with gun" animation.  The more complex thing would be putting conditionals on the melee and ranged aspects of the weapon, whereby when you equip one, you automatically equip the other, and when you unequip one, the other gets unequiped as well- and whether the two 'aspects' of the weapon would show up as separate things in your inventory.

Which implies how benefit/restriction would work for this sort of weapon- it would have a faster 'swap' between melee and ranged, but would be somewhat weaker in both.  If a bayonette on a long-rifle, it would have a straight, narrow arc stabbing attack- longer range, but no sweep.

Actually, there's a thought.  A Bayonette usable as a melee weapon with any long-gun.  It'd just get added on the end of it.

Just because we have yet to see a melee/gun weapon function to a certain capacity doesn't mean it wont happen eventually.

except the physics of the universe says that for a gun to fit inside a knife like device, it needs to compromise accuracy, rate of fire, power, and magazine size. and a knife that is part gun needs to compromise on tactility, killing power, ease of use, and unnecessary weight.

compromising all the important things of two items to put them together, is stupid. 

but, i'm sure this thread will have 50 more posts from idiots saying gunblades do exist. the fact that something exists doesn't mean anyone that's ever done any fighting would ever choose that over ANYthing else. 

frankly a gunblade is more effective at killing if you throw it at your enemy and hope it's ridiculous weight kills him. 

except the physics of the universe says that for a gun to fit inside a knife like device, it needs to compromise accuracy, rate of fire, power, and magazine size. and a knife that is part gun needs to compromise on tactility, killing power, ease of use, and unnecessary weight.

I'm talking about EVENTUALLY...

You're basing too much on current technology, discounting potential alternate projectile concepts being developed that will have unexpected results on this equation, and not acknowledging various configurations of where and how such weapons would fit together.

Seriously, so many things that we view as commonplace today were once thought to be impossible....

Being skeptical is one thing but going as far as you are is ignoring one of the biggest lessons of history.

Namely that what we may view as not reachable today may well be reachable tomorrow.

Again, you talk about physics of the universe when this is being considered for an IP where peoples armor allows them to do line of sight teleportation and throw anti matter.

Are you honestly suggesting that is more reasonable than finding a way to merge a gun and a sword together?

compromising all the important things of two items to put them together, is stupid. 

yes, that would be stupid.

but, i'm sure this thread will have 50 more posts from idiots ....

And now we are calling people names....

Again, you talk about physics of the universe when this is being considered for an IP where peoples armor allows them to do line of sight teleportation and throw anti matter.

Are you honestly suggesting that is more reasonable than finding a way to merge a gun and a sword together?

let's run down the list.

Alloy plates are a metallic alloy mixture of metals and sometimes other materials, like plastics, to create a multipurpose material. 

we'll call this high carbon steel. or a steel / titatium mixture if you don't like high carbon steel.

Control modules are presumably an electronic computation device. 

we'll call this a computer.

Circuits are electrical connections that allow physical items have processing, or many other functionalities.

we'll call these Printed Circuit Boards.

Ferrite is an element that actually exists.

we'll call this Ferrite.

Morphics appear to be a solid material that under different situations can chage malleability and other properties.

we'll call these non-newtonian materials.

Neural Sensors are a sort of brain processing module, with presumably some visual processing capabilities.

we'll call this a camera.

Neurodes are a sort of neural sensor organ which can detect things.

we'll call this an eye.

Rubedo is a crystalline material that radiates energy. 

we'll call this an irradiated crystal, it's a common practice to change colors of crystals. what useful purpose Rubedo actually serves then, i'm not sure of, but it is presumably an artificially created material.

Salvage.

we'll call this scrap metal.

Plastids.

we'll call this infected tissue.

Polymer Bundles.

we'll call this thermoplastic. 

what these living suits of armor do, are very advanced yes, but are still feasible. 

we have cloaking technology, we have the technology to create black holes, we have teleportation theories. 

Antimatter can be controlled through micro magnetism, and encasement inside a field that can shield it from matter, such as something as simple as a glass container. 

everything in Warframe, science can already propose a possibility to achieve.

suggesting that this type of weapon physically makes sense, is preposterous. unless the blade was to explode once thrust, and unless the projectiles being fired were through rail technology AND had some sort of extra impact damage such as an explosion, acidic injection, basic injection, shredding feature such as how 12g hollow point slugs filled with pellets work, this is simply not really logical. 

but what is being asked of, is a knife with a gun built into it, and all was said is gun. therefore, we presume it uses gunpowder and standard ballistic projectiles. thusly, the small casing size and projectile size, EXTREMELY limits the damage output. 

as well as the knife function is unwieldy and hard to use because there's a bunch of weird shapes sticking off of it that get it stuck in a target or simply stop it from thrusting deep enough to cause a serious wound. 

Edited by taiiat

let's run down the list.

Listing a bunch of generalized information on things not in question here. Irrelevant.

what these living suits of armor do, are very advanced yes, but are still feasible. 

we have cloaking technology, we have the technology to create black holes, we have teleportation theories. 

Antimatter can be controlled through micro magnetism, and encasement inside a field that can shield it from matter, such as something as simple as a glass container. 

everything in Warframe, science can already propose a possibility to achieve.

Thats picking and choosing what aspects of these bits of technology are feasible while leaving out the parts that, as far as we know, aren't.

Let's get back to the point.

I mentioned line of sight teleportation-what we are currently working with is no where near functionally transporting the solid matter of a living being to another location completely intact. 

I mentioned throwing antimatter-The resulting explosions from an amount of anti-matter that is visible to the naked eye would not be the kind of thing one would want to see in throw range. 

In both cases-the idea of having that be powered by and generated from something in small enough form that it is portable on a near skin tight suit is well beyond our understanding.

You're taking some very broad concepts and making several allowances for their existence in the form they appear in, 

suggesting that this type of weapon physically makes sense, is preposterous. unless the blade was to explode once thrust, and unless the projectiles being fired were through rail technology AND had some sort of extra impact damage such as an explosion, acidic injection, basic injection, shredding feature such as how 12g hollow point slugs filled with pellets work, this is simply not really logical. 

but what is being asked of, is a knife with a gun built into it, and all was said is gun. therefore, we presume it uses gunpowder and standard ballistic projectiles. thusly, the small casing size and projectile size, EXTREMELY limits the damage output. 

as well as the knife function is unwieldy and hard to use because there's a bunch of weird shapes sticking off of it that get it stuck in a target or simply stop it from thrusting deep enough to cause a serious wound. 

Lets clarify real fast shall we-What was being asked for...

"I think Warframe would be a lot cooler if it had a hybrid weapon for the masters of guns and swords. Like a gunsword; a gun in its standards form to shoot, but folds outwards to form some sort of blade for the melee. I haven't thought of how much of a purpose to how it will work besides awesome appearance, maybe you guys can figure it out."

There isn't a lot of specifics used there so its strange to make assumptions about things like gunpowder and standard ballistic projectiles.

"shoot" could range from some form of bullet, to energy projection, to something else entirely.

Is the blade even solid? Is it retractable, fold able or energy based?

Those two things decide so many other aspects of the weapon that we can't even begin without getting that straight.

Look, you're obviously an intelligent fellow but I can see the witchhunt here.

Edited by Ronyn

No. The copyright issues would be tremendously problematic.

Plus they're incredibly unwieldy, even compared to the Gorgon. There's a reason they aren't around anymore. Yeah, you can attach a knife to a gun, but not a gun to a knife. Just not the same.

I also really dislike how they look.

Because we don't bloody want it. Why do you think that we need some sort of a magical speech about how wonderful those abominations you want in the game are?

what do you mean we? Just because you don't agree with does not mean other people do. And I have been trying to keep calm from all this hate, but I believe a reasonable "F*** You" is in order.

Never in the history of ever has there been a hybrid melee/ranged weapon that could even remotely perform well in both categories.

OOOOOK thats a bayonet. WITHOUT the Bayonet it would be a gun, which would still be useful. BUT the concept you guys want is just unrealistic (warframe follows a certain realism) I mean, to actually have a GUNBLADE, you'd need a split chamber rifle thats PUNY for it to compensate for the blade otherwise its just a gun with a bayonet. BUT the point is that to have a gunblade would mean (1) you would sacrifice TWO potential experience points that would add to your mastery level, (2) It wouldnt exactly have an equipment slot since its both categories of blade and gun, (3) Because its both a ranged and melee weapon it would take up two controls which are MOUSE1 default for shooting and E default for melee strikes forcing you to not have a melee weapon that can be used more of utility while still being deadly over just pure raw damage, so in a way even your survivability is at stake..

They were never effective IRL though. They're mostly novelty or for show. And the way the OP describe it (A gun that TRANSFORMS INTO A SWORD) was most definitely anime as hell sounding.

"was most definitely anime as hell sounding."

Go watch Gundam 0 or Gundam 00, then watch his wrist blade turn from huge damascus then folding in to become a gun. unrealistic but looks cool for some people, personally i dont really like it.