Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Another Way For Platinum?

Snaggletooth

Platinum prices need a serious rebalancing, we all know this. A single frame or weapon should not cost $5-10. The color bundle  costs $20, which is way too much, even though it's about the only thing I want to buy with plat. The founder's packages are a bit more economical, but it seems wrong that they would be the only worthwhile option. Resources are a waste of platinum no matter how you look at it, etc. etc.

Here's an idea: instead of making platinum itself farmable, make the platinum coupons available through gameplay (but not from alerts, please, except perhaps for special deals). In this way you reward dedicated players by making it easier to obtain platinum exclusive items, while also encouraging impulse buys/smaller microtransactions. This should be in addition to rebalancing prices, as well.

Or in addition to simple discounts, add coupons that provide bonus platinum with purchases, etc.

That's fairly easy to answer.

1. warframe is not a very pc intensive game, buying a computer that could run warframe on it's minimum graphic settings would cost you somewhere in the lower range of about 200-300 dollars, which is not alot for a computer especially considering you practically need one for the modern age, so you're gonna have to buy one anyways.

2. same with the pc, high speed internet if you look and research you're options you can get great deals on isp providers who some will even give you a free router, and again it's basically required for alot of Jobs nowadays to have internet and E-mail so again, you are gonna need it anyways, and to top it off, you don't even need that fast of an internet if you know how to set up you're ports correctly.

3. most people who buy this stuff before hand need it and so plan it into their budget, platinum used for ingame cosmetic purposes for the most part should be cheap most game dev's do that because it attracts this crowd to be able to afford it, DE's prices as they are now are a turn off to most gamers and people with in this market, I for one was going to buy platinum yesterday to get a color pack, but the high prices pushed me away. buying in games shouldn't be like that, in games like PS2 you look at prices and say well I can buy X amount and get Y stuff. in warframe its I can buy X amount, and get Y thing with little leftover. F2P MMO's are good business models, but you have to model them right to be good.

You forgot Reason 4:

4.  Most people actually have at least some disposable income, but they'd rather spend it on something else and complain that they don't get enough free stuff.

At any rate, platinum is the reward for paying customers, and the paying customers are subsidizing the Free2Players.  It's a reward for that subsidy, and it should not be given out for reasons other then that.

Now, if we're talking about coupons, or adjusting prices in game, fine.  They could use some work.  But it should never be free - free platinum totally misses the point of platinum in the first place.

That's fairly easy to answer.

1. warframe is not a very pc intensive game, buying a computer that could run warframe on it's minimum graphic settings would cost you somewhere in the lower range of about 200-300 dollars, which is not alot for a computer especially considering you practically need one for the modern age, so you're gonna have to buy one anyways.

2. same with the pc, high speed internet if you look and research you're options you can get great deals on isp providers who some will even give you a free router, and again it's basically required for alot of Jobs nowadays to have internet and E-mail so again, you are gonna need it anyways, and to top it off, you don't even need that fast of an internet if you know how to set up you're ports correctly.

3. most people who buy this stuff before hand need it and so plan it into their budget, platinum used for ingame cosmetic purposes for the most part should be cheap most game dev's do that because it attracts this crowd to be able to afford it, DE's prices as they are now are a turn off to most gamers and people with in this market, I for one was going to buy platinum yesterday to get a color pack, but the high prices pushed me away. buying in games shouldn't be like that, in games like PS2 you look at prices and say well I can buy X amount and get Y stuff. in warframe its I can buy X amount, and get Y thing with little leftover. F2P MMO's are good business models, but you have to model them right to be good.

Thank you for taking the stand And also i do agree iwth you. this is one of the main reasons why i want the devs to try an lower the prices AND include an option for people to do surveys an S#&$ to earn free plat even if its in small amounts. This is just one MMO out of millions an  they need to add versatility for there players if there going to try an get money from people.

You forgot Reason 4:

4.  Most people actually have at least some disposable income, but they'd rather spend it on something else and complain that they don't get enough free stuff.

At any rate, platinum is the reward for paying customers, and the paying customers are subsidizing the Free2Players.  It's a reward for that subsidy, and it should not be given out for reasons other then that.

Now, if we're talking about coupons, or adjusting prices in game, fine.  They could use some work.  But it should never be free - free platinum totally misses the point of platinum in the first place.

You are seriously a bitter stick in the mud to be sure. You can keep trying to claim that everyone has disposable cash just laying around but the realit of the fact is every has a  life and there should be some free plat to 'earn' as well . not just to waste money on the game for items you want that aren't even worth the price currently set for them. Not everyone has the abilty to throw away money for a founder pack.  Hell the founder pack deal is the same thing FIREFALL pulled at a cheaper rate an even that later on became a bleak regret to everyone who got it.

Edited by Snaggletooth

Platinum prices need a serious rebalancing, we all know this. A single frame or weapon should not cost $5-10. The color bundle  costs $20, which is way too much, even though it's about the only thing I want to buy with plat. The founder's packages are a bit more economical, but it seems wrong that they would be the only worthwhile option. Resources are a waste of platinum no matter how you look at it, etc. etc.

Here's an idea: instead of making platinum itself farmable, make the platinum coupons available through gameplay (but not from alerts, please, except perhaps for special deals). In this way you reward dedicated players by making it easier to obtain platinum exclusive items, while also encouraging impulse buys/smaller microtransactions. This should be in addition to rebalancing prices, as well.

Or in addition to simple discounts, add coupons that provide bonus platinum with purchases, etc.

They sort of do have that but its rare to get it. its on the daily log in bonus. but it only stays available for you to use for 48 hours . sand since there is no real way of telling when it will pop up you cant even make a budget to plan for it. so its kind of useless in a sense too.

I can not believe you guys are arguing about this subject. When you buy plat you are supporting these hardworking game dev's that are bringing us an amazing game for free. Every item in game is completely free if you work for it. They are not a big game company so they don't have many other sources of income. For the quality of the game I don't think plat is overpriced. In fact the game is so nice I felt wrong if i didn't spend at least the average cost of a game so i bought the hunter founders pack. 

I think we should all do our part and at least spend some money on the game to help out the devs.

I can not believe you guys are arguing about this subject. When you buy plat you are supporting these hardworking game dev's that are bringing us an amazing game for free. Every item in game is completely free if you work for it. They are not a big game company so they don't have many other sources of income. For the quality of the game I don't think plat is overpriced. In fact the game is so nice I felt wrong if i didn't spend at least the average cost of a game so i bought the hunter founders pack. 

I think we should all do our part and at least spend some money on the game to help out the devs.

I have to disagree a bit with you. DE is not that "small" they made unreal and other cool games. They are big enough. And the prices for plat are, well, a bit too high. Other than that, I support your way of thinking. People say that they "cant afford" to pay for plat. But on the other hand, they want it to be free. Thats like saying : "I dont have money to pay for your game, so you should give up your paycheck because I dont have money/dont want to pay"

I mean, really.

Edited by Venarge

in all honesty i feel platnium prices are fine, i bought the 100 dollar pack when i got the 75% off. If your complaining about not getting it just wait, itll come eventually (unless its removed). They way this game is set up is amazingly well don imho, there is no market that will enevitable crash into worthlessness and people still have to work to an extent (unless they spend a gross ammount of money on plat for mods, resources, wepons, etc) some of the best weapons are unbuyable with plat and warframes arent too cheep so you will farm them instead. Then theres those that complain its really expensive....then buy some anyway......and people playing this game have money to spend (and if you don't sucks to suck) they set requirements to 'pay to win' very high, while keeping the benifits of paying to win low, so in reality if you have at least a lil paitence the only thin you need plat for is orokin reators and forma. but people will always call companies greedy, yes obviously they desire money, its why they made the game (yes cause they like the job blah blah blah, but they wouldnt of made this game if there would be 0 profit). Also imagine if they lowerd prices or gave 1k plat to eveyone, you just make it super easy to pay to win. and somewhere someone was say return investments are lower then other games, well you sir are very very wrong, i have seen people pay 1000$ (your 100 sound bit cheep now) a month for cards in a dead game, and the card get one hited by someones else who also spend that much, and 1/2 the game is inaccesable unless you pay 300+ dollars. so the return is actually fairly decent in this game. NOw i would agree if there were levels in the future that require god suits and weapons, but anyways rant over

Well, Actually free platinum offers WOULD be a really awesome idea, I mean like, The Discounts aren't that bad either! but, the problem is, lot's of people would just HACK they're way to get that many platinum, and Warframe is still a great game even though we need real money to get the good things in-game, I agree with this though! Many people will be helped and they will convince people to play the game! that would PROBABLY make Warframe, the best game for at least a few years! even though you would still need to buy Platinum and get things that are hard to get.

and I really hope the people who made Warframe read this! so that People will convince many people to play, I really hope that this happens!

You are seriously a bitter stick in the mud to be sure. You can keep trying to claim that everyone has disposable cash just laying around but the realit of the fact is every has a life and there should be some free plat to 'earn' as well . not just to waste money on the game for items you want that aren't even worth the price currently set for them. Not everyone has the abilty to throw away money for a founder pack. Hell the founder pack deal is the same thing FIREFALL pulled at a cheaper rate an even that later on became a bleak regret to everyone who got it.

If people don't have enough disposable income then they need to either get another part time job or seriously look at what they are spending on. Do you buy the name brand vs the cheaper store brands, go eat out a lot, or even have bad habits like smoking? I'll admit that I buy clothes at Walmart, spending $10 on a pair of jeans that is just as comfortable as a $30 pair.

Besides platinum is only good for a few things and those things are cheap, slots, potatoes and formas. If you are spending platinum on other things then well... Saving up $20 for one month to buy the basic founder's package will buy you all the slots you need and even a few potatoes.

Curious to me how someone can afford a PC that can run Warframe, and a high-speed connection to play it, but a few bucks for platinum is impossible to achieve.

At any rate, everything except for cosmetics can be obtained with in-game methods as is.  We don't *need* a way to earn platinum any more then we *need* a way to earn actual money in game.

curious to me a derp like you can talk like that without knowing how they earned it, maybe they spent 4 effing years of their life earning every buck to earn it

Edited by jpvi1207

While Platinum makes everything in the game stupidly easier, it's not really required. I do think certain things (such as Reactors) should be made easier to get though.

Free Platinum would be goofy though. The reason we see the game growing so much is money they make from this.

I agree that platinum should be somewhat obtainable but we must be grateful for those discounts. I got a 75% off discount and it was the best.

i have to ask how so many got such a discount.. nothing of the sort was offered to me, or available, or made noticeable for the sake of "ease of use"

i would have gladly gone in grand master and bough extra plat to equal out what i DID spend since i spent most of my plat already.

(mostly on frame and wep slots, formas, 'taters, etc)

They sort of do have that but its rare to get it. its on the daily log in bonus. but it only stays available for you to use for 48 hours . sand since there is no real way of telling when it will pop up you cant even make a budget to plan for it. so its kind of useless in a sense too.

That's what I mean. Expand the coupon system to be obtainable through grinding and not just random chance.

It makes a great compromise between DE wanting our money and people wanting to get platinum. Assuming plat prices are also fixed, of course.

i have to ask how so many got such a discount.. nothing of the sort was offered to me, or available, or made noticeable for the sake of "ease of use"

i would have gladly gone in grand master and bough extra plat to equal out what i DID spend since i spent most of my plat already.

(mostly on frame and wep slots, formas, 'taters, etc)

Discounts doenst apply to founder packs anyways.