Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Atlas Rework Proposal

OoKeNnEtHoO

Since Atlas is being reworked on, I figured I make suggestions which hopefully some will get taken.

Currently, in my opinion, Atlas' 1 is his defining move simply because his other skills are lackluster or useless in the current state of the game.

I will just state features and not go into numbers since numbers can always be tweaked for balance but features are always present.

My proposed concept of Atlas will be:

Passive: Immovable

Spoiler

Strong as the mountain, Atlas is immune to knockdown effects while on the ground.

Comments

I am keeping this as it is.

Most passives aren't great and so is this, but it's somewhat thematic and not exactly horrible.

Skill 1: Landslide / Earthen Grapple

Spoiler

Bash enemies with an exploding sliding punch, repeat for a devastating combo.

Comments

I will keep this as it is. for when skill 4 is not activated.

I will talk about Earthen Grapple when I talk about Skill 4.

Skill 2: Tectonics Boulder / Elemental Toss

Spoiler

Summon a rock-wall, activate again to send the rocks crashing towards the enemy.

Pulls a rock from the ground and toss at a targeted location.

If the button is tapped, a boulder is tossed with impact damage of Xm splash radius.

When the button is held and the longer it is held, the boulder size also increases up to a cap in size. This will increase the radius of the splash damage with an added guaranteed impact status proc if the button is held for X amount of time.

It should look something like what the tank in Left 4 Dead does:

Comments

I will talk about Elemental Toss when I talk about Skill 4.

Skill 3: Petrify Quake Crush

Spoiler

Fossilize foes with Atlas' hardened gaze.

Atlas transforms into a boulder and crushes foes who stand in his way.

Comments

I am removing this because this is just too similar to Chroma's Spectral Scream. We should avoid copying abilities from frame to frame for greater diversity.

This will be a channeling ability so it will drain energy as long as it remains active.

Of course, for gameplay purposes, he will not insta-kill enemies by crushing them, but he will deal impact damage to any enem(ies) that he comes into direct contact with while he is rolling.

He will also do guaranteed impact proc for any enem(ies) that are within a circular area around him when he is rolling.

He will not do any damage or impact proc if he is stationary and not rolling.

Power strength will increase damage dealt to the enemies that come into direct contact with Atlas in this form.

Power range will increase the radius of the circular area around Atlas that enemies will need to be in in order to be affected by the guaranteed status proc.

Power duration and efficiency will affect energy drain per second as per normal channeling abilities.

It should be similar to how the Behemoth from Evolve rolls in boulder form.

When skill 4 is activated and skill 2 is used, the boulder will include elemental damage and also status proc based on the energy colour used.

The energy drain from this ability will stack with skill 4's energy drain.

Skill 4: Rumblers Metamorphesis

Spoiler

Summon two elemental stone brawlers to the melee.

Atlas transforms into a golem of igneous rock to punish his enemies.

Comments

My intended concept is for this to be a channeling ability that transforms Atlas into a golem that looks similar to the Behemoth in Evolve.

Of course, his size will not be as large but he should look manacing.

His mobility will be much lower in this form but his armor will be increased.

Power duration and efficiency will reduce energy drain.

Power strength will increase amount of additional elemental damage he deals for any of the other skills while this skill is active.

Pressing E will do a melee punch with the elemental damage based on his energy colour and it will take the mods on the melee weapon.

At the same time, when this is activated, his other skills are modified slightly:

Skill 1: Earthen Grapple

Tapping the button will still do the normal landslide effects except that he will not be moving but instead his arms will extend.

Holding the button will cause Atlas to grab the enemies in front of him somewhat like how Manus in Dark Souls do:

Any enemies grabbed will be held in his hand for X period of time and not be able to do anything for as long as the button is held.

Once the button is released, he will toss the enemy and it will be similar to Skill 2 but with lesser damage.

The guaranteed impact proc stays though but with a smaller splash radius.

Skill 2: Elemental Toss

While Skill 4 is active, Skill 2 will do additional elemental damage based on the energy colour used.

Ideally, I would want the graphics to change to him spitting the boulder out like how the Behemoth in Evolve does:

but tossing boulders as per before Skill 4 is active will do fine too.

Skill 3: Quake Crush

Graphically, the element that the energy colour has will be observable as energy lines on the boulder form of Atlas.

He will also deal additional elemental damage and status on top of the impact damage and status proc.

Naturally, the energy drain is stacked on top of each other.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

Hey OoKeNnEtHoO,

I really like the changes you mentioned, however I do not fully agree with your 3rd ability. To me it feels like a channeled form of Hydroids Tidal Surge (2)
I personally enjoy his current 3 (petrify) although it should have a bit more mobility / being able to perform other actions while channeling.

I can't seem to think of any alternatives for his 2,3 and 4 but I do hope that they bring about some QoL change that makes his 1 less buttonsmashy of sorts. His 1st ability is the best and I wouldn't change any of that, but smashing it for a very long time can get very tiring. I like what they did with Nekros' Desecrate, but I'm not saying that the same should be done for Atlas. Just, something else. 

His 3rd ability, imo, shouldn't lock him down and have him scream at people. Maybe a radial effect which drains energy and does the same thing? I don't know.  

latest?cb=20171007154236

I also hope that this plays into something that is there by default and not a conclave only exclusive. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)Vagnar said:

He's not useless in his current state. This completely changes his kit, which is a huge slap to people who actually do use him and enjoy him, so a no vote from me.

He needs QoL changes only, not a complete rework.

Agree and Don't agree.  The speed of the game has surpassed his kit.  He needs speed and synergy.

Here's my QoL suggestions:

His 1:

Speed it up.  If Stance mods and base weapon speeds take a DPS hit, it compromises this "bread and butter" ability.

His 2: 

Upon 2nd cast, the Rolling bolder needs to act like a Grineer roller ball and find a target and then explode for a larger radius/Radial  Blast Damage with guaranteed knockdown ProC.

A cool alternative: "Tectonic Plating"

CASTING TECTONICS A SECOND TIME CREATES AN ARMORED CARAPACE THAT SURROUNDS AND INCREASES ARMOR VALUE BY 100%/120%/140%

His 3: "Hands of Stone"

Petrify needs to be active with zero mobility restrictions and work faster.  His eyes could work or have it be an extension of his fists...added range as well.

His 4: "Earthshaker"

The first thing Rumbler summon should do is execute a wide-range Radial ground-slam with 100% knockdown (or Blast ProC) that opens enemies up for 200% finishers.

Rumbler AI needs to be triggered to pull of smaller versions of this radial ground-slam when multiple enemies are within 3 meters.

Every time a Rumbler strikes an enemy, a 50% chance for Blast Damage ProC.

If Rumblers are destroyed or Nullied, they need to explode for radial Blast damage with 50% chance at knockdown.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

30 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Agree and Don't agree.  The speed of the game has surpassed his kit.  He needs speed and synergy.

Here's my QoL suggestions:

His 1:

Speed it up.  If Stance mods and base weapon speeds take a DPS hit, it compromises this "bread and butter" ability.

His 2: 

Upon 2nd cast, the Rolling bolder needs to act like a Grineer roller ball and find a target and then explode for a larger radius/Radial  Blast Damage with guaranteed knockdown ProC.

A cool alternative: "Tectonic Plating"

CASTING TECTONICS A SECOND TIME CREATES AN ARMORED CARAPACE THAT SURROUNDS AND INCREASES ARMOR VALUE BY 100%/120%/140%

His 3: "Hands of Stone"

Petrify needs to be active with zero mobility restrictions and work faster.  His eyes could work or have it be an extension of his fists...added range as well.

His 4: "Earthshaker"

The first thing Rumbler summon should do is execute a wide-range Radial ground-slam with 100% knockdown (or Blast ProC) that opens enemies up for 200% finishers.

Rumbler AI needs to be triggered to pull of smaller versions of this radial ground-slam when multiple enemies are within 3 meters.

Every time a Rumbler strikes an enemy, a 50% chance for Blast Damage ProC.

If Rumblers are destroyed or Nullied, they need to explode for radial Blast damage with 50% chance at knockdown.

How exactly has the speed of the game surpassed his kit? I do everything just fine on him. I think the overpowered nature of most frames has just turned most players into lazy scrubs.

The only things he needs is a more practical variant to petrify and I'd personally love if they swapped Tectonics with his Augment.

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Vagnar said:

How exactly has the speed of the game surpassed his kit? I do everything just fine on him. I think the overpowered nature of most frames has just turned most players into lazy scrubs.

The only things he needs is a more practical variant to petrify and I'd personally love if they swapped Tectonics with his Augment.

The speed and synergy and effectiveness of other frames that do his job better is how.

You want to suggest I'm a scrub? That's fine.  But statistical use and popular opinion say he DOES need these things.

DE's rework also.

Even what you are offering falls under this category.

He has some fun aspects to him, and there are those who are very loyal to him (I get that in spades as I'm an unabashed fan of the ever-divisive Volt).

If he is going to be a melee-utility frame, then yes, objectively his efficiencies, synergy and mobility need to be brought up to par...which, yes, equate to more damage and quicker killing.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

The speed and synergy and effectiveness of other frames that do his job better is how.

You want to suggest I'm a scrub? That's fine.  But statistical use and popular opinion say he DOES need these things.

DE's rework also.

Even what you are offering falls under this category.

He has some fun aspects to him, and there are those who are very loyal to him (I get that in spades as I'm an unabashed fan of the ever-divisive Volt).

If he is going to be a melee-utility frame, then yes, objectively his efficiencies, synergy and mobility need to be brought up to par...which, yes, equate to more damage and quicker killing.

I didn't mean to imply you specifically, sorry. I'm just admittedly getting agitated at this sudden surge in Atlas pros flocking the forum suggesting these dramatic reworks when his kit doesn't need to be totally redone.

It does need improvements when comparing him to other frames, but he's absolutely capable of solo'ing sorties and comfortably handling any content beyond maybe super deep into endless missions. I know because I do it regularly, and being very comfortable on him I honestly don't see this bottom tier frame people claim he is. Am I a god tier player? No, but I thoroughly enjoy what they've given us in his kit and I've invested time into learning how to use him. 

I want a Hydroid style rework, not a Saryn style one.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Vagnar said:

I didn't mean to imply you specifically, sorry. I'm just admittedly getting agitated at this sudden surge in Atlas pros flocking the forum suggesting these dramatic reworks when his kit doesn't need to be totally redone.

It does need improvements when comparing him to other frames, but he's absolutely capable of solo'ing sorties and comfortably handling any content beyond maybe super deep into endless missions. I know because I do it regularly, and being very comfortable on him I honestly don't see this bottom tier frame people claim he is. Am I a god tier player? No, but I thoroughly enjoy what they've given us in his kit and I've invested time into learning how to use him. 

I want a Hydroid style rework, not a Saryn style one.

I'm not offended at all.  Thick skin 😊.  

And there is truth in your statement that many calling for "this and that" probably aren't as vested and experienced with Atlas as you are, myself included.

I bought Faven's Graxx Atlas skin and am revisiting him to further explore and evaluate his skill set.  The Atlas/Zephyr rework thread posted that cited a DE employee was coincidental in timing and was what caused this surge in Atlas feedback.

Fight the good fight 😊.