StrangeLettuce

Game disappearing from Steam library | How to Fix

Question

Uh, since my Steam kept removing WF from my library, I'll just make this thread in case someone else would need it.

If your game disappears from the library even though the store says its already in there, and hitting the 'Play' button asks you for confirmation to install it, don't.

To fix this without re-downloading, close steam first, then you'll need to edit your WF's appmanifest file named "appmanifest_230410" at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps. Open it with notepad then paste the following:
(Note: Don't forget replacing the "LastOwner" with your steamid64, you can get that in https://steamidfinder.com by pasting your steam profile URL in there.)

"AppState"
{
    "appid"        "230410"
    "Universe"        "1"
    "name"        "Warframe"
    "StateFlags"        "4"
    "installdir"        "Warframe"
    "LastUpdated"        "1513645168"
    "UpdateResult"        "0"
    "SizeOnDisk"        "23034406406"
    "buildid"        "2362179"
    "LastOwner"        "<replace with your steamid64>"
    "BytesToDownload"        "0"
    "BytesDownloaded"        "0"
    "AutoUpdateBehavior"        "0"
    "AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning"        "0"
    "UserConfig"
    {
        "language"        "english"
    }
    "InstalledDepots"
    {
        "230411"
        {
            "manifest"        "5301169201249491747"
        }
    }
    "MountedDepots"
    {
        "230411"        "5301169201249491747"
    }
    "InstallScripts"
    {
        "230411"        "installscript.vdf"
    }
}

So, based on my experience, Warframe will disappear from your library if you force shut down (holding down the power button or unplugging the power) your PC with Warframe still running. Each installed game has its own appmanifest file, and apparently, WF's would magically go blank so you have to put those text up there to restore it back to your library.

(Sorry with bad english, if I had.)

Edited by StrangeLettuce
Warframe Update 22: Plains of Eidolon
  • Like 12

Hello Tennos, I know it's an old post but that happened to me nearly everyday and I got tired of fixing it. So I wrote a little fix that you can use ! You can find it here:

Warframe Steam Fixer

The source code is Open Source, feel free to fix, change, or implement anything you like. It's kinda basic right now, but does the job. Enjoy your game !

How to use:

Download the msi or exe file. Install it : you should have a link on your desktop named Warframe Fixer.

The simple avoidance is to wait until your profile says online instead of in-game, then close it.

1 hour ago, midtarget said:

The simple avoidance is to wait until your profile says online instead of in-game, then close it.

Well, you know, power outages and things like that DO happen, so this is useful information.

• Like 1

On February 18, 2018 at 10:09 PM, RunedFrame said:

Well, you know, power outages and things like that DO happen, so this is useful information.

I am aware of that, but I'm fairly certain lots of laptop players are always questioning why Warframe disappears, a smart person solves the problem, a wise one avoids it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, midtarget said:

I am aware of that, but I'm fairly certain lots of laptop players are always questioning why Warframe disappears, a smart person solves the problem, a wise one avoids it.

That's true, and would be helpful if the original post were about "How to stop this from happening". Since it wasn't however...not so much.

This worked wonders and is still relevant. Saved me an entire day of downloading. Thank you, OP.

(Recommend sticky, to be honest)

• Like 1

On 2018-06-18 at 1:00 PM, JetGaming107 said:

What do I do if I don't have the app manifest for it?

I'm not sure if this would work but try to rename a .txt file into "appmanifest_230410.acf" then proceed putting in the text above.

If that doesn't work, try to copy an .acf file in the steamapps folder then do the same thing.

hello. i've previously tried the solution that you had provided and it worked (thank you for that) but steam had uninstalled warframe again. i tried the same thing as before but now i'm getting an error telling me 'This file contains characters in Unicode format which will be lost if you save this file as an ANSI encoded text file.' and i'm not sure what to save it as 

6 hours ago, peachypuff said:

hello. i've previously tried the solution that you had provided and it worked (thank you for that) but steam had uninstalled warframe again. i tried the same thing as before but now i'm getting an error telling me 'This file contains characters in Unicode format which will be lost if you save this file as an ANSI encoded text file.' and i'm not sure what to save it as 

Save it as ANSI and set the file type into "All files". And make sure the file extension is .acf

I'm guessing the file turns into Unicode once it gets corrupted, since I remember having that as well long time ago.
If it turns out I'm wrong, then just reopen the file, save it as Unicode.

Edited by StrangeLettuce

Hi.I found the appmanifest file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps. I copy and pasted the stuff you put up and replaced the "replace steamid64 here". I saved it. I tried saving it as a ANSI file, but it keeps coming back to the .txt file. It didn't work, when I went back to the steam library... Did i do something wrong? Help is needed.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Shadqwr said:

Hi.I found the appmanifest file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps. I copy and pasted the stuff you put up and replaced the "replace steamid64 here". I saved it. I tried saving it as a ANSI file, but it keeps coming back to the .txt file. It didn't work, when I went back to the steam library... Did i do something wrong? Help is needed.

Thanks!

Uh, can you elaborate on how or when does "it keeps coming back to the .txt file"? And just in case things aren't clear, "ANSI" isn't a file extension/type, it's just the encoding type of the .txt file.

Far as I know, you're supposed to edit the existing appmanifest file (appmanifest_230410.acf) and just 'Save' it with Ctrl+S on notepad.
(If you're asking for how do you make file extensions appear on the names and be editable by renaming. Just search it on Google since I'm not really familiar on how it is done in other OS's)

Edited by StrangeLettuce

guys please help i found appmanifest files but not with the number you specified in the solutions any ideas?

On 2018-07-11 at 5:08 PM, InfernoSquid said:

guys please help i found appmanifest files but not with the number you specified in the solutions any ideas?

It's possible that you haven't really installed it on steam yet, since it is created after your first time installing it. Although, you can try making one by copying one of the appmanifest file then rename and edit it.

Thanks , lol i work in IT the first thing i tried was a steam repair on the library (did not work), not sure what i was going to try next but this fixes the problem 

just to add i have several steam libraries , the file in question will be in the steam apps folder on whatever drive you have wf installed. 

if you open the file with this bug the file will be empty with just some blank spaces , paste this in 

search for "LastOwner"   in one of the other files in the same directory

e.g. each game has one of these files , it looks like thats what steam uses to keep track of games , on of the files for another game will have the number , though it may not be needed to do that 

warframes file is appmanifest_230410 do not edit any other files because they are for other games , this file should be blank if you have this bug 

source : been turning my computer off at the power button for about 10 years and never had any issue other than this lol

Edited by Gemtech

On 2018-07-12 at 7:47 PM, StrangeLettuce said:

It's possible that you haven't really installed it on steam yet, since it is created after your first time installing it. Although, you can try making one by copying one of the appmanifest file then rename and edit it.

this is really late but i have had it on steam for about a year now and is the way i play it i just did a re-install to fix the problem but something really weird happen i tried to delete the warframe files manually and sometimes it said there was 30gb of files and other times 23mb of files either way re-installing worked 

I've been working on this now since last night, and perhaps this is a stupid question, but what application will open an .acf file? My computer keeps insisting I look for a new app to open it with, and notepad refuses to work with it. 

On 2018-08-02 at 2:58 PM, Myasaur said:

I've been working on this now since last night, and perhaps this is a stupid question, but what application will open an .acf file? My computer keeps insisting I look for a new app to open it with, and notepad refuses to work with it. 

Hello ! You can try my little fixer, it should do the trick o/

It took me forever but I got this fixed. I downloaded Notepad++ to edit the appmanifest file and then Steam recognized my game file. it did redownload warframe, but it only took about two hours. So, small price to pay.