The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Not-so-good performance and I don't know why

Skyotter

As soon as I changed my hardware I was expecting I could run Warframe smoothly at stable 60 fps. I had  to prove me wrong.

On normal missions the average is 45-55 fps, on the Plains of Eidolon the average is 25-35.

All my settings are maxed but I'm definitely sure my hardware can handle that.

I updated the drivers, turned off Physx (even though  I like it and I'd like to keep it up), verified and optimized download cache but nothing changed. Turned off Vsync as well.

Edit: forgot to say that I have DirectX12 and unchecked DirectX 10 and 11 from the launcher.

Running on AMD Ryzen 5 1600, MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, 8 GB DDR4 RAM.

Is there a way to solve this?

Edited by Skyotter

Hi Skyotter,

Can you try shutting down any unnecessary third-party programs that might be running in the background? These can interfere with the functionality of Warframe and may even prevent it from running at all. By temporarily disabling these programs from booting, they can be eliminated as the source of the problem. Please try following the steps below:

1. Press Windows key and R key on your keyboard at the same time
  2. In the new Run window popped up, type msconfig, and hit Enter
  3. On the General tab of the System configuration window, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.
  4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
  5. Note: This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
  6. Click OK, and then click Restart.

When you boot your computer in Selective Startup, you are disabling every application that normally starts up with your computer. This may include firewall and security software that you would normally want to have on. After you are finished testing, you should re-enable your security software in msconfig.exe. Please follow these steps to reset the computer to start normally.

1. Press Windows key and R key on your keyboard at the same time
  2. In the new Run window popped up, type msconfig, and hit Enter
  3. On the General tab of the System configuration window, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
  4. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Let us know if you notice an improvement in performance. Thanks!

So, I did a bit of testing after trying what you suggested

Using both DirectX 10 or 11 or both together doesn't seem to change anything, as enabling Vsinc or not.

My Dxdiag displays I've got DirectX 12 installed and I think that might actually be the problem

The average fps in Eidolon is now 40-50, sometimes it touches 60 but sometimes goes to 30-35, which still is something quite strange considering my hardware

Anyway thanks for your help, I'll keep finding a solution to this issue.

8 hours ago, Skyotter said:

My Dxdiag displays I've got DirectX 12 installed and I think that might actually be the problem

This shows "max support for", or more precisely "feature level support". Not "what is in use". If DX13 came out tomorrow, you'd be out of luck (along with just about everybody as the max support currently is DX12).

Most modern games use DX11 still, so you're best running your game with the DX11 check box, checked. Otherwise, you're dropping all the way back to DX9, as Warframe still supports the older API.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:36 AM, Skyotter said:

forgot to say that I have DirectX12 and unchecked DirectX 10 and 11 from the launcher.

Make sure you have DirectX 11 ticked.... The game doesn't even have directX12 yet. This might be your problem..

On 2/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, Skyotter said:

So, I did a bit of testing after trying what you suggested

Using both DirectX 10 or 11 or both together doesn't seem to change anything, as enabling Vsinc or not.

The average fps in Eidolon is now 40-50, sometimes it touches 60 but sometimes goes to 30-35, which still is something quite strange considering my hardware

Anyway thanks for your help, I'll keep finding a solution to this issue.

in windows, search power plan and try switching it to performance mode then playing the game, but remember to switch it back after done playing

i recently was having trouble with my 4.0GHz 4770k and GTX 560TI 1GB having many many dips in fps but also massive dips, like from 60 to 12

thru google and trial and error i found by default the balanced or energy saving power plan in Windows does whats called CPU Parking, effectively it shuts off all unused cores to save power

with cpu parking my 4 core 4770k runs only 2 cores, bottlenecking my GPU as could be seen by my GPU max usage only being 50-60%

then when the game needed more thered be a moment of lag most likely when another core was being woken up and thats where the massive dips were

Performance power plan keeps everything running very high tho which is why i suggest shutting it back off after done playing

but for my pc, simply switching it to performance mode allowed me to maintain an almost solid 60fps (if i uncap it itll actually go to 98-99fps now) while also maxing out every single setting, gpu usage is now 100% when maxed, this games isnt crazy on the GPU but since mines way down the list it gets 100% use, and most of my frame dip are now around 2-5 fps

Cetus is a whole different story, its still has a memory leak or optimization issues or my card cant handle it or something, while as a whole i get like 10fps more now it still dips and bounces all over the place, gets way smoother the farther i get from the door once entering POE

Edited by Tokens210