Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gun sounds in general

BBaw

I've found there are usually two sounds a gun makes, and they are entirely different.  The first sound is what the shooter hears, the person firing the weapon, in physical possession of it.  This sound is very similar to the sound heard by someone standing directly next to or behind the shooter.  I have no idea what it sounds like from the front,  thank goodness.

The second sound a gun makes is the sound everyone else hears, they aren't near the shooter and are more then quite a few meters from the person firing, this is the youtube video sound, and its also what no gun anywhere sounds like from the shooters perspective.  Its also what most everything in game sounds like to me.  Except maybe a bit less crisp and more muffled and a lot more digitized. 

Now that being said, and I mean this wholeheartedly,  I do not blame anyone in the sound department for that and neither do I envy their job cuz I know recreating that sound is near impossible.  What I would like to see, however, is the scary factor upped a bit.   I believe this is a lot more important than trying to recreate a real gun sound.  My sancti tigris, one of my favorite guns in game,  very end game capable as well, does not scare me in the slightest bit.  I do not feel like I have just fired a weapon that has inflicted mortal damage upon some poor creature.  The boar however, which does not sound like any shotgun ever fired, to me,  sounds like it could literally rip a hole in a tank when fired from close range.  That gun has the scary factor, as best that can be implemented in game.  My sancti tigris sounds like I popped a brown paper sack in mild anger or maybe just a little discomfort. 

I would like to see the scary factor upped in a lot more things that go boom.  It does seem like some of the newer weapons are doing this much better than the old. 

1 minute ago, VampirePirate said:

In defense of the sound department.  All the gun sounds in the game come from actual guns.  I think the problem lies in the fact that they tend to alter those actual sounds to make them unique to Warframe.  Maybe that's where things get lost in the mix.

Well yea thats fine,  I don't think sounding like a real gun is quite as important as just sounding like its got some substance behind it.  Kinda like my example with the Boar,  it doesn't sound like any real gun that I ever heard but I think it sounds great.   Where my sancti tigris sounds like a suppressed shotgun, if you've ever heard one of those fired.  Its very unsatisfying.

17 minutes ago, BBaw said:

Well yea thats fine,  I don't think sounding like a real gun is quite as important as just sounding like its got some substance behind it.  Kinda like my example with the Boar,  it doesn't sound like any real gun that I ever heard but I think it sounds great.   Where my sancti tigris sounds like a suppressed shotgun, if you've ever heard one of those fired.  Its very unsatisfying.

Yeah I understand.  Sadly, they just finished revamping the guns sound for all weapons lol.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing you're talking about is the sound department doing their best to imitate reality - in fact the sound of a thing, anything, changes as you get more distant from it (specifically, you hear less of the high end frequencies, while the lower end frequencies remain, so it sounds more "muffled" - if you think of one of those cars that have bass-heavy sound systems, as they disappear into the distance, all you hear is the throb, that's an exaggerated version of what I'm talking about). 

However, I think that perhaps they could dial the change a bit further out in range, so that the change is only really apparent at a greater distance.  There shouldn't be that much change in the relatively closed environments of most mission rooms, whereas out on the plains, with the greater distances it should be quite apparent when, say, you're doing a defense and a cell-mate is at the other side of a big circle area.  That's when the filtering should shine.

Re. the new gun sounds, I think it's been a bit hit and miss.  Some of the weapons seem to have lost quite a lot of their character - for example the recent change to the Brakk made it sound more bland and less characterful, whereas before it had a sort of "broken crack" sound to it (actually sounding pretty much like "Brakk", funnily enough); now it's a more unified boom-like sound, which has made it lose some of the character it had.

Similarly, the sound changes to things like the Braton P, Tetra and Sybaris weren't really improvements either, but either sidegrades (in the case of the Sybaris) or positive downgrades (the Braton P and the Tetra lost a lot of their character).

On the other hand, the general addition of (what sound like) more initial transient and more bass throb to a lot of the sounds recently has been good.  Also, the way they've made impact sounds more apparent has been a good addition too.

Basically, I don't think they should have messed around too much with the original weapon sounds, maybe just tarted them up a bit by adding some transient and boom, instead of changing them wholesale - a lot of them were really good as they were, very characterful, whereas now the gun sounds are starting to sound more samey, like the sound design in other games.  Warframe is partly defined by its unique art design, and its sound design ought to match the quirkiness of the art design, not aim in the direction of making everything sound the same or "realistic."