The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has Gender Swap skins been something discussed before?

(PSN)TheHypothes

On 06/03/2018 at 9:45 PM, --Q--XFA said:

Yes there were discussions a long time ago. I'd really want to have those options because I still couldn't accept the fact that i'm a male operator using a female frame.

It's not a "female" Frame. They are inanimate objects. You are remote controlling a robot with lumps in it's chest.

The only reason they even HAVE male/female features is simply for artistic variety. They could all have been formless constructs, but that would have been rather dull to look at, and much harder for players to identify with.

2 hours ago, DSpite said:

It's not a "female" Frame. They are inanimate objects. You are remote controlling a robot with lumps in it's chest.

The only reason they even HAVE male/female features is simply for artistic variety. They could all have been formless constructs, but that would have been rather dull to look at, and much harder for players to identify with.

actually they are bio-mechanical. housing the soul of the person who created it. the operators just exert their own control over them. it is a symbiotic relationship. meaning gender swap of any kind cannot happen.

Edited by EinheriarJudith

On 3/6/2018 at 5:45 AM, --Q--XFA said:

Yes there were discussions a long time ago. I'd really want to have those options because I still couldn't accept the fact that i'm a male operator using a female frame.

This. I know the lore behind it but I still see them as bio-mechanical armors that resemble someone who might have been the original and then got mass produce or something like that. My Operator is male so yeah... his not wearing ladies clothing, his not that kind of operator. :crylaugh: (joking)

crBk0ze.gif

Edited by 0zryel

On 3/6/2018 at 9:31 PM, (PS4)Vagnar said:

I feel like this idea has likely been addressed, but it was something I was wondering about. Series of skins for each frame that is a straight gender model swap. I'm pretty sure this would be popular, but who knows.

Is this something that could happen? Would people want it? I'm sure I'd personally use it on a handful of frames.

While I understand the desire and yes it has been requested before.

DE gave a detailed reasoning that has kinda been covered by others.

Essentially DE initially had the idea for male/females variants of the same frame, however through their testing they decided it was better to have more individual frames (much like mythical figures are a singular person) with a set of powers.  Along those lines they also had the notion of frames sharing a similar theme but with different male/female physicality and powers to make them unique.
You can somewhat see that theme in play if you look at Valkyr and Rhino, or Trinity and Oberon, as those have loose similarities to their theme but are also very distinct as a whole even from each other in that they are obviously independent entities.  DE has not kept frames to a strict theme however more with slight overlaps than major overlaps.

This also essentially meant DE could make more variety in power-sets with less work on the model side of them.

Just a tid bit of further info: Ember actually was originally a male frame that they then changed to female to keep that male/female form break when they made the decision to not have male/female form options.