Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream 108 possible melee changes discussion

SugoiSniper

Well hello there, unsuspecting reader, you have stumbled upon on what may be is the most outrageous idea anyone has had in a while (I am giving myself a lot of credit because I need validation)

So, in devstream 108 the team talked about the melee rework since they were balance passing everything in the game imaginable and they were discussing whether there should an in-depth rework of the melee combat system itself or just a balance pass like the other weapons. In the case of a melee combat 2.0 (which I am in favour of) they were arguing between a dynasty warrior feel to the game against a bayonetta feel to the game.

A section for those who don’t know what I am talking about

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are action fighting hack and slash games developed by platinum games, it is popular in a very weird way, the core aspect of these games is combat which is very similar to Devil May Cry. But the reason this was brought up was because of the style of combat and how something similar would fit warframe, in bayonetta enemies are relatively tanky and require more than one hit to be killed hence combos and how to manipulate them are very useful, but once you’re engaging an enemy you stick with it until the combo ends, you get hit or you dodge away, which doesn’t coincide with the horde aspect of warframe.

Next up dynasty warriors a game about people from Chinese folklore and history duking it out in a massive battlefield killing each other and poor dudes who just wanted to get paid. In this game, you must conquer the battlefield by securing points, but the combat is just you, your few combos and a whole lot of destruction. Because it is also a horde type game it could fit warframe like a glove, but it would fit it like a cheap glove made from fake cotton or cheap leather.

Back to me.

My idea is at its core is this: 6rZ8g8R.jpg

Warframe doesn’t have only swords, it also has tiny swords, Big Boi Swords, fans, hammers, polearms, frisbees, a knife that is also a gun, a gun that is also a knife, sushi knives and soon, it will have sushi knives but BIGGER.

In my opinion, a single defined thing has never been warframe’s shtick, so marrying those ideas would probably bring about a satisfactory result if done right, right?

So because this is a game changing conversation and if we don't make known what we want from DE, then we can't blame them for coming up with something we don't like as a community, I encourage all of your opinions no matter how minimal or absurd you think they are, this is just a discussion that is always nice to have before DE starts formulating ideas.

I mean that's why we have combo's right; they may need to go back to the stances, look at how we actually pull off the combos and make sure there's a move for doing single target dps and a move for cleaving, maybe other combos can have some utility, like how some stances include an attack that opens for finishers. They don't need to choose only one style.

Channelling desperately needs a look at though, the mods we currently have make it hugely inefficient to use.

It's going to be a lot of work either way.

i know a few of the combos by heart like whirly spin of death on cleaving whirlwind and Cptn america wishes his shield could do this with eleventh storm on ack and brunt.

most of my combos are on accident.

I do enjoy the animations so maybe if they just made em cycle through and simplified the combos that'd be good. i spend most of my time in warframe melee-ing anyways

I would like to see heavy and light attacks. Heavy attacks would deal more damage while lights are quicker. One gets a Status bonus and the other gets a crit up or something. There are some Brawlers available that make a good use of a combat system limited by a control scheme with just 2 or 3 buttons.