Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it possible to add Africa as a region?

SpaceMonkeee

I don't know if this is a simple thing to do but could it be possible to add Africa as a region?

This game is great but playing it with 220ms of ping is really annoying as sometimes depending on the host it can be a lot worse and it's not like I can just hop back to a better region since Europe with it's 220ms ping is the "best option" for me...which sucks.

So will it be possible to have this done?

7 minutes ago, DarcosRoyal said:

The ping depends on the connection between the host and client. Region setting doesn't affect that.

IIRC,region tries to pair you with people closest to the region you selected. So whilst the ping relies on the connection between host and client, the region is ultimately responsible who you get most often paired with. An Africa region would pair us with dudes closer to home. 

It wouldn't eliminate the ping issue (nothing can), but it would be nice to get low pings much more often. :)

26 minutes ago, SpaceMonkeee said:

I don't know if this is a simple thing to do but could it be possible to add Africa as a region?

Agreed, I travel there to see my family, and it would be nice if I could at least sign in for my daily farms ^^

14 minutes ago, DarcosRoyal said:

The ping depends on the connection between the host and client. Region setting doesn't affect that.

Africa, at least the places that would regularly play Warframe, is further away from Europe than Europe is from America. Somebody signing on in South Africa and not deliberately connecting to a nearby friend has just as much chance of joining a match in Europe as anywhere else in the 'Region'. All you can do is limit the Ping value that your matchmaking will allow you to connect to.

Look at it another way: If you had a Region of 'North' that counted in the UK, France, Portugal, Spain and Italy, into the same bundle as USA and Canada, where you could randomly join a squad from Europe at 220 base ping because that's the only current match for the mission you're going on... would you not want just to have a North America region?

Same thing ^^

1 minute ago, DarcosRoyal said:

The region affects matchmaking, typically Africans get matchmade with EU players since it is our closest region

unknown.png

I'd advocate an African region for matchmaking purposes as more often than not players have to deal with the delay of packets traveling such distances (in my case being South African) and having more or less a flat delay of 190ms to Central EU.

I also host Conclave more for accessibility in the African region and frequently receive feedback from EU players regarding connectivity being 'lag' which in truth is just higher than usual ping given the distance with more often than not no to negligible packet loss to clients. An African region would remove need to solicit connectivity to EU conclave hosts and more likely than not match players within the Sub-Saharan African region to a much lower delay host such as myself or other hosts that may exist.

Ping limits being lowered doesn't alleviate the issue of people having terrible internet in Africa so that won't solve this primary issue, a regional addition can fix it more than anything else to matchmake players within the actual region.

There's certain regions which are defined in-game but are however inactive. One of these regions could be redefined for the African region unless a more distinct partitioning of Africa can be made in regional selection.

Edited by bungawunga

On 22/03/2018 at 10:26 PM, DarcosRoyal said:

Matchmaking won't go a lot over your ping limit. So changing ping limit might be the answer you need.

What in the honest hell is your god damned problem with Africa getting its own server?

It’s almost as if you don’t want people in Africa to play this game.

How would it possibly affect you? It’s not like you’ll be affected.

Or are you seriously just arguing against this because ‘#*!% African people/gamers’ or something? You have literally no basis to argue against this that would allow more Tenno to have a better experience.

I’m in Oceania - that’s Australia, New Zealand, and Indonesia, among some other places. If I’m not wrong we have nearly second-to-worst internet in the world besides Africa. (I think India might have worse internet, but being part of the continent of Asia I count them with Asia - only going by continents and general regions that I recognise here).

I personally use the Matchmaking Ping Limit and keep it capped at 100ms - that is worth one singular second of lag being my absolute maximum demand. Though I almost always host, I can join squads that still appear - even though they are somewhat uncommon.

I also don’t mind joining some sessions that say they go beyond my limit by up to 75 Ping. Hell, I joined a session that said 460ms Ping and it ran as if I was hosting. These numbers aren’t always proper.

Except in at some of these low-Ping situations the ping is based on that of what is happening in the Orbiter. That means the connection is not broadcasting the hordes of enemies that will be there in this Mot, Void survival node.

Make Round 30 in Hydron and your Transference and Mesa Peacemaker toggle would likely lag for five seconds depending on the net.

Matchmaking Ping Limit still doesn’t do a damn thing, especially when it comes to this guy. All it serves is to warn you when a session is currently over your limit, and it doesn’t care when the session goes beyond after you’ve joined because you go from the ‘broadcast literally nothing’ of the Orbiter to ‘broadcast every singular enemy movement to the slightest motion when surrounded by 250 enemies in Mot.’

So your argument and ‘suggestion’ if it can even be called that is moot and worthless. Nothing you’re saying will make a difference.

I’m all for Africa getting its own region in Warframe. It’d help with quality of life for African gamers and since very few games (at least that I know of) actually possess dedicated Africa servers, this would be a welcome addition.

Edited by (PS4)Aerik93

My intent doesn't require physical servers as I personally imagine the change to be made. Africans can still use EU instances for chat, Relays and Dojos however my only intent it to add an additional classifier to regional selection so that if and only if a person has configured their client as being that of Africa, then they can be matched onto those players from Africa. Matchmaking servers can remain in the EU along with all the other associated facilities.

Stating that the game is perfectly playable at 200ms is fine, assuming that connectivity is stable given distances is fairly ignorant despite it obviously using some server-client architecture. Even if the game is playable at such delay, there's no reason to not give the opportunity to those to have a better experience.

The ping detection in Warframe in any case is garbage, it appears to not take many samples to sufficiently determine a connection's quality and there's been cases where I've set my ping limit to 175ms yet have had to deal with a host who had connectivity with myself at 450ms despite the ping settings apparently such that I would not otherwise experience such poor matchmaking.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

the game doesnt run on a server.... its peer to peer....

And one of the players are typically the host of a session unless it is a Dojo, Relay or instance of Chat which are managed by chat servers anyway.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

exactly, and setting ur ping limit to 100 would automatically fix the lag

That won't fix the problem. if you're on an European chat server looking for squad members to join up with then you're naturally going to get a high ping. (Keeping the topic in mind)

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

You don't seem very aware of the discussion that has taken place. There's a proposal for a tweak to regional settings which wouldn't affect you unless you are African and if you were African, you would be more mindful about the context of this discussion instead of bluntly suggesting things that are already known yet are not working or feasible solutions for groups of players this issue revolves around.

19 minutes ago, bungawunga said:

You don't seem very aware of the discussion that has taken place. There's a proposal for a tweak to regional settings which wouldn't affect you unless you are African and if you were African, you would be more mindful about the context of this discussion instead of bluntly suggesting things that are already known yet are not working or feasible solutions for groups of players this issue revolves around.

where did i say i didnt understand, and i never said more region options would be bad, infact they could add them quite easly

i was jsut saying if someone had over 100 ping the game would warn u and this would help even more, because if someone if from africa and has poor internet, ul still be lagging

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

where did i say i didnt understand, and i never said more region options would be bad, infact they could add them quite easly

i was jsut saying if someone had over 100 ping the game would warn u and this would help even more, because if someone if from africa and has poor internet, ul still be lagging

I've stated before that I've experienced cases of the game matchmaking system being unreliable via the ping detection mechanism, that's fine and dandy. But people may have poor connection quality yet would be able to connect to each other within their localities with a good ping and have a relatively decent experience. They instead may have their ping set high since everyone else in the locality has their ping with a higher threshold as we are bound by the European region and others in whatever African locality it may be are attempting to connect to those from European region since there's no-one soliciting local/African connections.

That being said, if a person has troublesome internet: that doesn't mean that someone from Europe can be their champion. The intent is to match players from the similar region.

In my case for my particular region I would be an ideal host for players that wish to join myself in whatever missions I may do for example, chances are it would be a much better experience for the clients than connecting to someone elsewhere in Europe for example. Here's a sample of what a decent South African connection looks like running a speedtest against their local server:
7173910994.png

On 3/26/2018 at 9:25 PM, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

i was saying if u manly joined someone from recruitment it would warn u, not that it was reliable for public lol

its not the ping setting of the host that madders, but of the people joining the host

This does not fix the problem of this forum

On 3/26/2018 at 8:28 PM, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

Setting a ping limit will not help as the in-game detection system doesn't really work well. Ping from your Orbiter or Dojo and Ping during a mission is not the same

On 3/26/2018 at 8:22 PM, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

the game doesnt run on a server.... its peer to peer....

Yes the game mode is peer to peer we are all aware of that. The problem is that players from Africa will be matched with hosts from Europe which will cause a high ping to the host because of the distance

On 3/26/2018 at 9:25 PM, (PS4)Spider_Enigma said:

i was saying if u manly joined someone from recruitment it would warn u, not that it was reliable for public lol

its not the ping setting of the host that madders, but of the people joining the host

Most players get matched up via public so having to go to recruitment in hopes of finding a host is a waste of time

• 2 weeks later...