Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Please (Literally) Polish Soma Prime and Latron Prime?

Maxim_M_Payne

(apologies in advance for long-ish post)

Exactly what it says on the tin. Nearly every other Prime primary weapon has the gorgeous metal one expects of Orokin tech, including the new Tiberon Prime. Dex Sybaris isn't Prime, and it still has metal quality on the level Tigris/Cernos/etc. Prime possess. Just have a look at it below:

http://uIGinbT.jpg

That's awesome! That's lovely, that's exactly the prettiness you expect the anniversary weapon to have... ...but looking at it bothers me; because it reminds me that, in comparison to Dex Sybaris and genuine Primes like Tigris, Soma Prime looks like this: 

http://sg9DgR8.jpg

A smidgen of inconsistent "shiny" spots that don't change how opaque and flat the metal itself looks underneath them. "That looks plenty shiny you idiot!" you think, and Soma Prime does indeed look nice; but only within select Orokin environments like the new Captura scene and the Void tileset. But outside of that specific source of lighting, and especially when hit by the weather effects of places like the Plains of Eidolon; Soma Prime looks like this:

http://p243Ksi.jpg

(Notice how there are virtually no reflections on the Soma, whether from the Ostron Lanterns or the sunset; now contrast that to my Valkyr Prime's accent metal, the holstered Sicarus Prime, and the accent metal on the riv-elite armor set.)

There's none of the luster you expect from the super-opulent and self-deified Orokin; and it's twice as frustrating because the aforementioned three items are shiny and the Soma isn't.

Latron Prime has three cosmetic problems of its own.

First, the metal looks like plastic with shines randomly slapped on, even within the Void tileset or Orokin extraction Captura scene:

http://44N4ETB.jpg

Second, the dullness of the metal accents is even worse when in rain or dark conditions; even compared to Soma:

http://HetfpAw.jpg

(Note how I'm standing directly by an Ostron lantern, and there's almost no effect on the Latron Prime's sheen.)

And third, Latron Prime has a secondary metallic color channel for the details near the butt of the rifle; a secondary metallic channel which will, for no explicable reason, also color the non-metallic tip of the barrel, as seen in the blue areas of this screencap:

http://9TcoBfA.jpg

But don't get me wrong despite all this whining; you're a wonderful, hard-working development team, and these are in no way ugly or bad weapons.

They have gorgeous and distinct silhouettes, the varying levels of filigree typical of Orokin tech, and they are both immensely satisfying to fire. Post-audio overhaul, they also now have deeply pleasing sound effects; including a distinct shift in the pitch of the firing noise when ammo is low. And they are also both viable weapon choices (though Soma Prime could stand to have more than 12 base damage especially now that it isn't any higher in DPS than standard Soma justmyopiniondon'thurtmeplease); therefore, can they be made as prettily shiny as they were intended to be, before the Evolution Engine's graphics outpaced your updating of the weapon models?

Thanks for listening. 

TL;DR: I speak on behalf of Soma and Latron Prime users when I ask that you please polish our Tenno tools. I... ...probably could have phrased that better, but ah well.

The Soma Prime was designed this way specifically, so I doubt Mynki didn't have it in mind when doing it. I mean, Nova Prime and the Vasto Prime use normal gold, and the concept art for the Soma Prime also looks quite different to other items, so it's done in purpose definitely.

I don't know why the Latron's non gold metallic tint isn't metallic on the tip of the canon though.

The only things that could really use an update are the maps for the golds of the Latron and Burston Prime, which lack some depth compared to newer items. But I doubt they'll change them. And besides I'd rather see other stuff being done first before they work on them, like finishing the PBR process on the rest of items or fix missing details in some of the PBR converted Primes. Then they could do a pass on materials, since with all the PBR updates done it should be easier.

On 4/2/2018 at 7:19 AM, NightmareT12 said:

The Soma Prime was designed this way specifically, so I doubt Mynki didn't have it in mind when doing it. I mean, Nova Prime and the Vasto Prime use normal gold, and the concept art for the Soma Prime also looks quite different to other items, so it's done in purpose definitely.

I don't know why the Latron's non gold metallic tint isn't metallic on the tip of the canon though.

The only things that could really use an update are the maps for the golds of the Latron and Burston Prime, which lack some depth compared to newer items. But I doubt they'll change them. And besides I'd rather see other stuff being done first before they work on them, like finishing the PBR process on the rest of items or fix missing details in some of the PBR converted Primes. Then they could do a pass on materials, since with all the PBR updates done it should be easier.

Then I'm for sweepingly getting PBR finished on weapons, then changing material on Soma Prime. I sincerely doubt the discrepancy was intentional; primes have differences in the exact shade of the metal accents, but only Soma and Latron are inflicted with unsightly play-doh metal. I love the design, but Void as my witness I will get DE to increase SP's luster. I also re-built the default Soma yesterday; a weapon which may I add is itself still shinier than Soma Prime, and I am adding that image for comparison as well to this thread. 

Here we go.

Soma: l0tENYQ.jpg

GLORIOUS TENNO STEEL GOLD etc.

Soma Prime:

p243Ksi.jpg

It's NerfTM or nothing.

Corpus weapons are supposed to look plastic-y; these two weapons are space-ninja manufactured and I am 95% sure are not meant to be so. Is a little shoeshine on my rifle so much to ask of the developers?

In hindsight, that statement also came out very wrong.

Edited by Maxim_M_Payne
To better show how default Soma is shiny, and Prime is Play-doh.

14 hours ago, Xylyssa said:

Been requesting this as a fix for years. Same goes for PBR on Loki, Nova, and Ash Prime. Very dull looking Prime metal tinting.

Actually Loki and Ash have good gold. Nova (as well as the Targis Prime+Pyra Prime set) needs the metallics maps improved. Volt has a flat surface as well for some reason...

Edited by NightmareT12