Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Problem With Scaling Kuva, and Kuva Nightmare Survival Idea

HisokaXEveryone

So, normal Kuva survival's pretty fun and all, but there's no reason for people to stay for more than 20 minutes. However, making longer runs give scaling rewards would cause some groups to pressure lone players into staying longer than they want or have time for. So what's the solution?

There's two: First, allow people to leave alone during survival missions. However, this causes a couple of issues. The more players in a match, the more enemies are around, and therefore the more life support. So if one person leaves, they would also be taking away 1/4th or so of the life support in a mission. However, if they don't reduce the number of enemies, one dude leaves and suddenly the mission becomes roughly 25% harder for everyone else. Either way renders this a major problem for the idea of scaling rewards: You can't have a way for that guy who wants to leave to go that doesn't leave the team in some kind of trouble.

And then there's a second option: Make a second Kuva survival mission, but with some kind of twist to make it unique and challenging beyond simply adding scaling rewards. The simplest way to do this is to either make it nightmare mode with some kind of randomly picked debuff, or increase the level of enemies by a significant amount. However, what I'd personally like to see is a different sort of Nightmare Kuva survival: every time you activate a kuva siphon you get a special new problem. This could be shields are reduced/removed, the local area is irradiated, the average level of the enemies as a whole levels up, or "elite" packs show up that are twenty levels higher than most enemies for this time period, or basically whatever the developers can think of. These effects could last for the rest of the mission, or only as long as the siphon is running, depending on the effect. But either way, this allows for a different, and potentially very lucrative yet possibly brutally hard version of survival that could be made to scale fast in both rewards and difficulty while still allowing for the other mission with its more relaxed setting to have its place.

I came in expecting something.. different, but this is actually better than I expected. So...

Nice idea +1

Off Topic: I feel like survivals in general should allow for solo extractions or, at least in relic survivals specifically.

Edited by KittyDarkling
Clarity

Not against the idea, could be nice. But given the way Kuva Survival works, I've never actually seen a group get to where they could survive more than 20 minutes, so I'm not particularly fussed about scaling rewards for it.

Being able to boost it somehow, like in the second example, how would be a much better idea.

Edited by Ceryk

On your first point, I don't think I am alone in wanting for enemy spawns to not scale with amount of players in the party, especially in Survival. One other suggestion for if solo extraction is added is to have a 30-60 second timer where the person has to sit at extraction before they get to extract, during which everyone is alerted that there is someone at extraction.

As for the second point, can we not just have a nice, relatively simple endurance mode? Additional modifiers are fine-n-dandy in some cases but to some degree there is beauty in simplicity.

Adding a solo extract to survive and excavation, along with void fissure sailing to all endless mission's would be a nice change, and for the 20 and out people let me present you with the glorious idea.

"kuva fortress assault" easy to Balinese, and will spread out the kuva farmers in to three group's.

floods and down people

Assault as its reliable

And I have about a hour to kill crowd