The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Regarding tentative scythe changes

NightmareT12

For years now we've had people asking for larger scythes to be added to the game and with the devstream answer I'd like to share my own thoughts on this.

Scythes in Warframe have never tried to be the kind of massive weapon we've seen in other media, instead being short and faster. I believe the perfect example of this is the now super old E3 2013 trailer for Warframe, "The Call", in which a Frost uses it to slash through a few enemies on it. But as someone that joined on U10 with the release of Nekros and the Ether Reaper I can totally see the potential for larger scythes with proper grips.

However, I don't think the best thing to do is get rid of the stances and try to adapt the current weapons into an axe, because their proper design is to be one handed gripped and trying to scale them a bit and being bigger will most prosbably make the current ones look terribad. Not to mention some of the cool animations we currently have that I, as a melee player, totally enjoy and would hate (hah, hate pun ecksdee) to see them go.

What I'd like to see them separated into short scythes as we have now, which could probably use some adjustments and long scythes, the Ether Reaper being the first one that can be one of them, given the super long type that it is designed to be and how weird it looks using the current animations. But not using Heavy weapon stance. In my most humble and honest opinion, when I think about long scythes, I think about Soul Calibur's Zasalamel:

Also Darksiders' Harvester, Death's signature weapon:

In this last one you can see Death has two short scythes that moprh into a single, big one (the one I want to reference). The first Darksiders also has a long scythe to use but I have problems finding a proper video to link to showcasing how it animates.

I am pretty certain the animation team can do proper two handed/longer scythes animations that use a new idle, proper grip instead of heavy blade stances and cool combos that can better fit the "grim reaper" aspect and widen the variety of the weapon types in game.

And since you guys at DE have talked about a Melee system rework I believe the best option is to have the two either coming out together or have the animations thought for crowds as the staff said they wanted to do.

It would also be great to see new weapon designs that are closer to the feel of the Ether Reaper too, and perhaps a Prime for our beloved Nekros.

Thanks for your time!

On 13/4/2018 at 9:33 PM, NecromancerX69 said:

Praise the void, some one who actually likes the idea of Zasalamel or Reaper DS combos for big scythe weapons.

Yes, I approve of your idea 100%. Specially if DE does make combos like Zasalamel <3

Yes, as an avid SOul Calibur and Darksiders fan I am fairly certain their animations are a good reference in terms of how to handle "arcs" that would could get multiple enemies in. Even if Soul Calibur is 1v1 fights, since it's a 3D fighter it has to take sidesteps in account :)

On 13/4/2018 at 9:39 PM, ConsumerJTC said:

Id like to see those come as new stances on a later date ^

As for my thoughts on scythes currently, do make them slightly bigger and have them speed up their attacks for at least 2-3x they are now, as they are unbearably slow even with fury.

By attack speed I guess you mean the frames in the animations themselves? At least the Reaper Prime has an acceptable AS that goes well with Berserker (even though it could use 5% more status).