Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Regular Stalker is impossible to kill for new players?

JalakBali

Shadow Stalker doesn't have Smoke Screen but regular Stalker does. And so far, every time I encountered him in my alternate new account, he is near impossible to kill since he is never out of invis 3 seconds after he stood up. The only time we could kill him only when he was just standing up and the team had enough firepower to kill him immediately. Is this the result of the spectre/NPC AI changes where they used more of their powers?

Maybe someone else actually experienced this differently or has any strategies to fight an invisible enemy that could teleport to you and wail at you with a melee weapon or one shot you with his bow?

4 minutes ago, JalakBali said:

Shadow Stalker doesn't have Smoke Screen but regular Stalker does. And so far, every time I encountered him in my alternate new account, he is near impossible to kill since he is never out of invis 3 seconds after he stood up. The only time we could kill him only when he was just standing up and the team had enough firepower to kill him immediately. Is this the result of the spectre/NPC AI changes where they used more of their powers?

Maybe someone else actually experienced this differently or has any strategies to fight an invisible enemy that could teleport to you and wail at you with a melee weapon or one shot you with his bow?

I don't know what loadout you are using but here how i kill the stalker or the shadow stalker in 5 sec (solo)

I switch to my operator, shoot him with the alt fire of my 333 amp which has virtuoso strike. and the operator has 1100 health

3 shots with he alt fire and he is history

• Like 1

Just now, (XB1)Oussii said:

I don't know what loadout you are using but here how i kill the stalker or the shadow stalker in 5 sec (solo)

I switch to my operator, shoot him with the alt fire of my 333 amp which has virtuoso strike. and the operator has 1100 health

3 shots with he alt fire and he is history

I was talking about early players who couldn't unload high DPS within 5 seconds. So no Operator mode. Also, after he started going invis. Because I have never seen him gone out of invis after that.

1 minute ago, JalakBali said:

after he started going invis. Because I have never seen him gone out of invis after that.

When you shoot with Alt fire of 333 amp, he will become visible again

Originally, your Alt fire will prevent him from doing anything even going invisible as he won't have time

This is what i have noticed

Now as for you don't have an operator, i cannot help in this issue

18 minutes ago, JalakBali said:

So the original Stalker is considerably harder and much scarier and has a high tendency toward disabling powers very often and his A.I. is actually very good. He is supposed to be near impossible for new players to beat so that when they do have the strength it feels like a true victory after all the times he killed them. The plain truth is that the old stalker is far more deadly. Frost is one of the best weapons when you start against him as you are protected from distance attacks with his bow for as long as the snow globe lasts. The snow globe does not slow him down sadly. The best way to kill him is to figure out his target and have that person dodge like a maniac while everyone else tries to kill him. High DPS is unfortunately the only solo solution I know of.

P.S. His bow will one shot no matter what, if it does not then that is a glitch as it inflicts auto K.O.

P.S.S Simple answer is that stalker is not meant to be killed by new players.

Edited by Fatern12
To add a note.

Just now, Fatern12 said:

So the original Stalker is considerably harder and much scarier and has a high tendency toward disabling powers very often and his A.I. is actually very good. He is supposed to be near impossible for new players to beat so that when they do have the strength it feels like a true victory after all the times he killed them. The plain truth is that the old stalker is far more deadly. Frost is one of the best weapons when you start against him as you are protected from distance attacks with his bow for as long as the snow globe lasts. The snow globe does not slow him down sadly. The best way to kill him is to figure out his target and have that person dodge like a maniac while everyone else tries to kill him. High DPS is unfortunately the only solo solution I know of.

P.S. His bow will one shot no matter what, if it does not then that is a glitch as it inflicts auto K.O.

P.S.S Simple answer is that stalker is not meant to be killed by new players.

Then I don't think that is a good design choice if that were their goal. Giving new players an enemy they cannot see and could kill them within seconds is not a good gameplay design. This would be worse than having enemies with invulnerability phases. If they wanted to make Stalker scary and deadly, the better choice is to make him dodge attacks better, like the Leaper AI except better and dodging most of the time. Or the Manic AI where they teleport and go in and out of visibility.

It wouldn't even be scary to new players. It's juts going to be confusing since they wouldn't be trying to watch where he spawns. They'd just get some sort of message, gets confused and then, since Stalker spawned and went invis off screen, just dies seemingly randomly.

Yes, he's very difficult for new players. My experience was pretty much "Stalker Shows Up, You Die" in the early stages. Either that or leaping from one end of the room to the other like a ping-pong ball, while burning all my ammunition to wear him down. 

Honestly easier to let him gank you to get it over with and get on with the mission. 

For new players, Stalker is hard.  No other way to say it.  A new player will have low ranking damage & durability mods since they can't afford to max that stuff early on. No operator, no OP high MR weapons, low damage output, low health, etc etc. He will kill you a lot and you will be very reliable on other players to help you kill it quickly.

Of the few times I managed to kill him solo when I was new, those were looooong battles, involving running in circles doing puny damage (after they gave him Mag's pull, standing on boxes was no longer an option). We had a lot less frames & weapons available back then. Remember that many of the newer frames are locked behind quests, RNG or higher level planets and MR, stuff new players will not access anytime soon. Before they reach those milestones, the odds will always be stacked against them.

Stalker is meant to push you to become stronger, get better gear, make you move faster and so on.  Eventually once that happens, you will kill him <10 seconds every time.

Edited by MystMan

I just encountered regular Stalker on my alt account and he was in his smoke screen the entire time.  I was running around and tracking him by the clouds of smoke and managed to ping him here and there, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do any damage to his health.  I ran around him for a few minutes, and once I got bored, I opened the locked door and continue with my mission.  Interestingly he didn't teleport me back to him so I was able to finish the mission without me killing him and him killing me.  I suspect that him being permanently invis might be a bug or weirdness in the new AI because when we dealt with Stalker on our old account years back he was never in permanent smoke screen and even with our junky weapons and builds we were able to kill him.  I agree with others that Stalker is suppose to be hard but it should be like before that with persistence and luck newer players have a chance to kill him.  Right now his perma-invis makes it 0% chance of killing him.  

@(XB1)Oussii Of course we know how to deal with Shadow Stalker and regular Stalker on our main accounts with our souped up amps, weapons, and frames.  Like you, I can solo either of them with ease and I can one shot either version of him while he's still trying to stand up.  JalakBali is talking about new player experience and asking how should new players deal with Stalker besides resigned to the fact that they'll die without help.

I do feel like regular Stalker from old days versus current regular Stalker behave differently.  I certainly don't remember him being in permanent invis before Second Dream was introduced.  More tests will be needed.

Don't know about impossible, but he should be very hard to beat for a new player, playing solo. If you play with 4 new players.. Just run away and let the other 3 kil him. If you keep moving, you'll live. And equip your melee and hold that block button.

Alright, let's start from the beginning here, the AI. As someone who's been playing since the founder program was open, I've seen a lot of changes to the stalker and the AI in general. One MAJOR constant has been that the AI in general has a huge problem with vertical tracking. Stalker is no different. You need to stay constantly moving for one, but the other big thing that you need to do is keep bullet jumping up and over him. Once you get this nailed down, he's a chump.... well, a chump with a lot of HP for a noob. A chump none the less though. Don't exclusively do the up and over maneuver as the tracking will begin to nail down the pattern. If you pay attention to the shots fired and more importantly the misses, you'll be able to see that it tracks at about 1.5-2 seconds behind you so copter around the level and behind cover when applicable then do your up and over runs.

There, have fun.