Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"i Think After We Got Over The Shock..."

wraith.exe

I think maybe in this world of consumerism they expected to make a game that people would play for 20-40 hours, throw some money at and then abandon. I really feel for the devs who don't know what it's like for a player base to really love their content. If you look at the steam market, many of those games are geared towards low levels of play, the company then turns around and cranks out another so they can keep their heads above water. Here you have the opposite and, IMHO, the correct formula, of 

a) Make a game that is replayable

b) Listen to the player base

c) Provide constant and new content

The game isn't an MMO,similar to how Guild Wars isn't. It's instanced and the town lobbies have been replaced with a region chats. I prefer this. I can quickly get in touch with my clan mates, get into a PUG if I need one and play with little to no downtime. (No hey, I don't see you, "jump", oh there you are)

\

Wait, how did they NOT expect this to happen?

They made a MMO for pete's sake!

Well, it's one thing to expect it. It's another when the realization hits you, "whoa, tens of thousands of people are enjoying something I made and some have even played it for 500 hours"

Close enough to one: It is an online game played by a million+ people, it has long-term progression (even if it isn't a typical type of progression found in other games), it has a psuedo-economy (which will be improved when they let us sell mods for plat) of in-game items, it has a crafting system.

The only major limitation is that everybody sits in a Lobby and can only go out into instanced missions in groups of four.

I guess by that logic, Guild Wars isn't an MMORPG either? Dunno about #2, but I distinctly remember #1 being "Sit in the Lobby, group up and go out in small groups". Only in GW your avatar was able to walk around in town.... and do what again? the very same things you do while sitting in the Lobby in Warframe, only you can't see your (and others') characters moving around while doing so.

I think trying to define genre solely by game mechanics is inadequate.

...I was typing a thing, but I realized I'm basically just parroting stuff I read in a paper, which says it much better than I could. EC did a video on it, and also explains it much better than I could, so I might as well just link that.

Close enough to one: It is an online game played by a million+ people, it has long-term progression (even if it isn't a typical type of progression found in other games), it has a psuedo-economy (which will be improved when they let us sell mods for plat) of in-game items, it has a crafting system.

The only major limitation is that everybody sits in a Lobby and can only go out into instanced missions in groups of four.

I guess by that logic, Guild Wars isn't an MMORPG either? Dunno about #2, but I distinctly remember #1 being "Sit in the Lobby, group up and go out in small groups". Only in GW your avatar was able to walk around in town.... and do what again? the very same things you do while sitting in the Lobby in Warframe, only you can't see your (and others') characters moving around while doing so.

Yeah, Halo is my favourite MMO and so is CoD.

Also if Guild  Wars was/is lobby based then it's not MMORPG either, just like PSO wasn't one.

Guild Wars 1 was an online RPG or if you go by their marketing a competitive online RPG.

Guild Wars 2 is an MMO.

The difference is that GW1 was always small instances of players doing the actual gameplay while GW2 has proper zones that can have hundreds of players playing together at once.

That's the "massively multiplayer" part of an MMO, something Warframe lacks even when the game faces party glitches and you have up to ten people in one mission.

Also Warframe spends most of it's time being a P2P networked game, the server is mostly matchmaking, chat, alerts and containing/editing your account data.

Edited by waaaaaaaals

The uncomfortable body language during that part was nothing compared to when they were asked about dedicated servers.  If I had to guess, there's ongoing internal arguments about it between the staff.  Either that, or they have decided to stick exclusively to Peer to Peer, but are smart enough to know that announcing that fact would lead to a lot of angry threads / emails. 

While there is genuine feedback/crosstalk at these streams, there's also been a minimum of three months of arguing, compromise failed implementation and iterations before that. While DE has been setting up a rapid delivery pipeline for a while now, there's still a substantial delay between what we see and what de is putting in place. Unlike anims and FX, where once you have the rig and ik in place, you can rapidly get to wyswig states and then out the door, most of the backend material takes an assload of work, and as someone who does design myself I would not frankly trust a lead who came back to my desk saying that he or she thought whatever I asked for was flawless and perfect the first time through without trying to take it apart or do something else with it first.

Back and forth is a natural and needed part of the process, especially in light of having no publisher around to dictate minimum acceptable and must have cause marketing demographics.

These are folks who like each other but obviously don't always agree, and that's a good thing.

Livestreams are also far more marketing than they are feedback resolution.

No way in hell you're gonna get a design mantra moment when ten thousand people are spamming "LF PLAT PLZ"

Edited by -Kittens-

These are folks who like each other but obviously don't always agree, and that's a good thing.

Livestreams are also far more marketing than they are feedback resolution.

No way in hell you're gonna get a design mantra moment when ten thousand people are spamming "LF PLAT PLZ"

I wasn't trying to imply that their internal arguments were a bad (or even uncommon) thing.  Steve and Scott have been very forthcoming about their arguments in the past (I believe the latest one was over the artifact system).  I just thought it was funny how everyone went silent for 30 seconds after the question about dedicated servers was asked. 

You are correct that design decisions aren't made during the livestreams.  However, if they did announce something, and the twitch chat immediately exploded in rage, they might very well reconsider that idea. 

His shirt says "I LOVE WARBROS"

It even has the Warbros symbol in the middle of it.

I don't know why you think is says JIZBROS.

Projecting maybe?

The fold was covering up half of the 3rd letter, but yet it didn't LOOK like there was a fold there. I saw what looked like an English "L" and knew that between the Fusion Moa, Interception Videos we have no idea what the letters J, Q, X, and Z look like in the Corpus alphabet because to my knowledge, we had not encountered those letters yet.

So I threw out every possible combination of the known letters, and substituting Z, and J (I had forgotten we were missing X too), not knowing folds in the shirt were obscuring the first and third letters.

Online video games can be like a house of cards. One wrong move, and the player-base vanishes.

Been saying this for a long time and i never seem to get my point across because i am stupid and part mentally $&*&*#(%& online.

Good job.

Yeah, I know. 

It's "A Thing That's A Lot Like An MMO But Technically Isn't"

It's Massive and Multiplayer and Online, but that's not really what an MMO is.

I just don't really have a good word for what Warframe is.

It's a 3rd person cooperative shooter, that has a lot of players.  End of list =)