Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Earth.

road2toad

I feel I'll be speaking on behalf on the whole of the potato community here.  So, when U16 shipped years back, it rendered Warframe unplayable for me.  Something with the changes rendered me unable to play multiplayer, and made my performance tank -- I ran on a potato at the time.  Since then, I had went into a prolonged hiatus until I got an upgrade, and could enjoy the game -- and I did.  I successfully went from a potato to a toaster.  I can run almost every map on every system above 40-60 FPS, and it's smooth.

However, let me address the elephant in the room here.

Earth.

Something needs done about it.  It's not even the Plains that are a problem, I can get decent framerate there so it doesn't turn into a complete hindrance during gameplay.  However, normal earth tilesets, they are a killer of my performance.  Like the drop of a coin, my performance tanks from anywhere from 60-80 usual FPS to a whopping and soul-crushing, less than 15.  Something needs done, like a certain set of config options that disable foliage and whatnot, even on the plains, for that extra framerate.  It is not enjoyable to lack the ability to aim when your game turns into a slideshow.

This could very well already be an option, and I may just be overlooking it like an idiot.

So, please DE, consider a set of changes that allow you, the player, to disable it -- even optimizations would help.

P.S:  I'm not sacrificing the quality of every other planet and tileset by turning down my just fine options just to facilitate the power needed to run Earth.

P.P.S: I'm not going to go through the arduous task of turning down my settings every time I go to Earth. 

18 minutes ago, UnknownShifter said:

So, please DE, consider a set of changes that allow you, the player, to disable it -- even optimizations would help.

I believe that everything has been fairly well optimised. If you have a terrible PC there is very little DE can do in the way of optimisation. You say you have a “toaster” computer, I would not expect his to work well regardless.

I see no “my specs are:” so DE could try optimising anyway. For all we know, you are running Windows XP, with a single core processor and 512 MB of RAM.

Open task manager and see if your CPU is maxing out (100% usage) that can cause huge FPS drops. Try and end any processes that aren't necessary using your CPU and see if that helps.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete and pick task manager or Ctrl+Shift+Escape to open it directly if you didn't know.

Just now, More-L said:

Open task manager and see if your CPU is maxing out (100% usage) that can cause huge FPS drops. Try and end any processes that aren't necessary using your CPU and see if that helps.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete and pick task manager or Ctrl+Shift+Escape to open it directly if you didn't know.

I've checked before, and I typically run about 60%-80% CPU usage.

1 minute ago, UnknownShifter said:

I've checked before, and I typically run about 60%-80% CPU usage.

Do you have a software for your graphics card? It is possible (I have this issue without the software) your GPU's fans aren't running optimally. The generic settings keep it from melting but not really 'optimal' in most cases. If you don't, get one and adjust your fan speed to be higher at lower temperatures, if you have the software see what temperature your GPU gets to, I'm not sure for your specific card but generally 80 C is too hot.

1 minute ago, More-L said:

Do you have a software for your graphics card? It is possible (I have this issue without the software) your GPU's fans aren't running optimally. The generic settings keep it from melting but not really 'optimal' in most cases. If you don't, get one and adjust your fan speed to be higher at lower temperatures, if you have the software see what temperature your GPU gets to, I'm not sure for your specific card but generally 80 C is too hot.

Yep, I have my Radeon Settings on my dashboard.  It automatically kicks up and runs at the best settings, provided the usage level.

3 minutes ago, UnknownShifter said:

Yep, I have my Radeon Settings on my dashboard.  It automatically kicks up and runs at the best settings, provided the usage level.

My software's generic settings caused me to get FPS stutters in a certain game. As soon as I upped the fan speed the FPS was pretty much constant. I have a different card and software (though it is official) so maybe yours does have good settings but it won't hurt to manually set the speed to be higher (if it can go higher) just to test if it works

Edited by More-L

1 minute ago, Etrionas said:

@UnknownShifter Dude its your CPU, that CPU is not very good. That's why you have issues running earth, but I will say that Earth could do with some optimisation when the devs get the time.

Yeah, I know it's not good.  Unfortunately, there's nothing I can currently do about it with my financial status.  I bring this up because, most of us in the potato community have that colloquial problem.

Just now, UnknownShifter said:

Yeah, I know it's not good.  Unfortunately, there's nothing I can currently do about it with my financial status.  I bring this up because, most of us in the potato community have that colloquial problem.

I hear you man, and I sympathise. Please try to enjoy the game as much as possible and maybe this post will get some noise and something can be done back end to help your problem.

Just now, Etrionas said:

I hear you man, and I sympathise. Please try to enjoy the game as much as possible and maybe this post will get some noise and something can be done back end to help your problem.

Yeah man, of course.  I'm nearing 2300 logged hours for this game -- I ain't giving up my roots.

31 minutes ago, UnknownShifter said:

I guess the main issue is how little anyone cares about standard Earth missions. They seem to be more just "clear the planet and go". Unlike something like PoE where many people spend a lot of time. It is not really a good use of DE's time to spend months optimising something no one is all that interested in. That means it will have a really low priority, if it ever happens at all. The new, larger open world may prove to be an issue for people with potato computers. And really, there is only so much DE can do to support legacy hardware. You can only hold onto legacy hardware for so long before you just have to upgrade.

I do not know if your CPU got the Spectre/Meltdown patch. But that was causing a slowdown on older processors. If you got it, you could look at removing it to see if that helps. It might be a terrible idea though.

33 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I guess the main issue is how little anyone cares about standard Earth missions. They seem to be more just "clear the planet and go". Unlike something like PoE where many people spend a lot of time. It is not really a good use of DE's time to spend months optimising something no one is all that interested in. That means it will have a really low priority, if it ever happens at all. The new, larger open world may prove to be an issue for people with potato computers. And really, there is only so much DE can do to support legacy hardware. You can only hold onto legacy hardware for so long before you just have to upgrade.

I get that you think people don't play earth, I would like to see that change. Earth is there and it can be used so it should be optimised or at least offer for people to not render foliage or something.

I have frame rate issues on Earth (not huge ones) and I run well above the recommended hardware for the game.

1 hour ago, Etrionas said:

I have frame rate issues on Earth (not huge ones) and I run well above the recommended hardware for the game.

The recommended hardware is very much outdated. They have not changed it in many years. The realistic recommend hardware is above what the "requirements" say. I run well above the recommended specs and have no issues on Earth at all - I don't get any reduction in FPS at all.

1 hour ago, Etrionas said:

I get that you think people don't play earth, I would like to see that change.

The main issue is "reason to go there". For me, there is no point in going to normal Earth missions (this is the same for many people I know). DE can optimise it, but what is the point when there is no reason for many people to go there? I accept that many people do go there. I am more thinking: of the people affected, how many will these changes realistically benefit?

Besides, where do we draw the line of what is realistic, why should DE continue to support outdated hardware (see recent XP, 32 bit OS support loss announcement)? DE really does need to determine new minimum specs and say "if you have below this, expect bad performance". When you view specs that have not been changed in years, even though the game has seen many graphical enhancements, how do you know if you realistically meet the required specs?

Edited by krc473

@krc473 well said, I suppose one good reason to go to Earth is Kubrow eggs, or to get plants. It just baffles me that earth runs up the cpu/gpu so badly. I play on PC and PS4 and I even notice the frame rate issues on the PS4, so take that as you will.

Its more that I would like to see an analysis of how hard it would be to turn things like foliage and extra little details off to save on performance dropouts, it doesn't have to be a high priority but it would be good to get some info from the devs as to whether or not its feasible.

Earth is more Graphic Intensive after it's Rework. It's the closest design out of any planet to a AAA game. Plains used to be as bad as Earth's Tileset but not anymore. Earth used to be about as smooth as any other Tileset but after it's Rework, It needs some Optimzation changes. I'm not having issues with Earth with the current Laptop i'm using but I can see a person with a worse Computer having trouble with Earth since it's not like any other Tileset.