Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Platinum Discounts Rarity? (New Player)

Tyrandos

Question

Howdy great peeps,

Apologies for asking this, since this question has been asked numerous times (but most posts I found were quite old).

I started playing Warframe around a week orso ago, but I'm wondering how common the platinum discounts are?
Since I really, REALLY fancy the Rhino warframe with the Graxx skin & Warlust helmet, but it's quite a tad expensive (platinum).

Since before I can actually start to play intensively I need to customize myself as I pictured it in my head.
(When I started playing Black Desert Online I hated it, until I got myself a couple of outfits & dyed them)

I would just simply purchase them, since that would make me want to play Warframe a whole lot more, since it's very fun & thematic,
but I'm not sure if it's worth it to me, paying 50 - 70+ euros, whilst for that amount I can purchase practically any AAA game.

I've also read that the more you play, the less of a chance there is to obtain the discounts? (Though this could be outdated)

And nice to meet you all, fellow Tennos!

Kind regards,
Mike

Edited by Tyrandos

12 answers to this question

20% Discount is quite common, you'll see it all the time. 50% I think I've seen a couple times in a single month. It's probably worth waiting for it if you aren't in a huge rush.

Now then, the 75% discount. I'm a founder, so I've been playing for a little while. Although I'm not nearly so dedicated as many other players. In my time I've seen, and used, at least 5 75% discounts. They are super awesome, and they drop, but you may need a lot of patience if you're thinking of waiting for it. I wouldn't advise you to do so.

If you're thinking of buying Rhino for platinum, then perhaps think of Rhino Prime, atlhough it's only a minor upgrade. The normal Rhino is an early find however and it stays strong. Rhino never really gets to a point where it's actually bad.

You can get Plat discounts fairly often through login rewards, but you can get Rhino's parts from the mission Fossa, on Venus.

I mean, you can certainly buy Rhino outright, nobody will stop you from giving DE money.  But that said, it may be better to save that Plat for a frame that's much harder to get.

9 minutes ago, rhoenix said:

You can get Plat discounts fairly often through login rewards, but you can get Rhino's parts from the mission Fossa, on Venus.

I mean, you can certainly buy Rhino outright, nobody will stop you from giving DE money.  But that said, it may be better to save that Plat for a frame that's much harder to get.

Well that is one of the reasons I am considering to purchase it, since I don't really like any of the other warframes (or skins), visually.
I've been recommended to get the Rhino Prime (instead of buying the default) - the schematic & then creating it, but I see that as a future goal.

It sounds really silly, but the visual aspect, how I look, makes or breaks a game for me - at least in the beginning.
It's just that the problem may be that I end up not liking Warframe's mechanics, thus it would be wasted money.

Thanks for the reply.

1 minute ago, Caelward said:

20% Discount is quite common, you'll see it all the time. 50% I think I've seen a couple times in a single month. It's probably worth waiting for it if you aren't in a huge rush.

Now then, the 75% discount. I'm a founder, so I've been playing for a little while. Although I'm not nearly so dedicated as many other players. In my time I've seen, and used, at least 5 75% discounts. They are super awesome, and they drop, but you may need a lot of patience if you're thinking of waiting for it. I wouldn't advise you to do so.

If you're thinking of buying Rhino for platinum, then perhaps think of Rhino Prime, atlhough it's only a minor upgrade. The normal Rhino is an early find however and it stays strong. Rhino never really gets to a point where it's actually bad.

Alright, got it!

Should I log in daily to try and get a 50% discount?

I've read that staying offline for a week or more & then coming back online increases the chances?
Though this is probably outdated as well, since it's applied to the older Login Rewards I believe (not sure).

Thanks for the reply.

A founder huh, you must be playing for a very long time? :)

I don't believe waiting to log in increases the chances of discounts, If it does then it probably only gives 20%. The log in mechanics were different quite a while ago, so you might have run across that information.

On the other hand, you want to log in every day in order to get the 50 day rewards. There are more than just random resources and discounts waiting for you.

A good first purchase if cosmetics is important is the colour palette bundles if you haven't gotten a hold of them. Don't buy palettes that aren't bundled or on sale if you can help it. Try to log in on holidays. There are often holiday themed colour palettes for sale super cheap on days like valentines, halloween, chrismas and more.

I don't believe waiting to log in increases the chances of discounts, If it does then it probably only gives 20%. The log in mechanics were different quite a while ago, so you might have run across that information.

On the other hand, you want to log in every day in order to get the 50 day rewards. There are more than just random resources and discounts waiting for you.

A good first purchase if cosmetics is important is the colour palette bundles if you haven't gotten a hold of them. Don't buy palettes that aren't bundled or on sale if you can help it. Try to log in on holidays. There are often holiday themed colour palettes for sale super cheap on days like valentines, halloween, chrismas and more.

Aaah I see, so that was from the older version, thanks.

Alright, I'll log in daily & hope for the best, I was acting on the old information this week (2 days login, 1 day waiting)..
I did went ahead and buy Corpus colour palette bundle, I went over every bundle & found this one the most pleasing in it's colours & variation.

I did buy a small amount of Platinum to test the customization mechanics as well & made my Excalibur look like this:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1414584226

But it's not cutting it for me, the Rhino looks far more badass :P

How long have you been playing warframe for, Caelward?
Also, what mechanic of Warframe do you find the most pleasing/enjoyable/well made?

Edited by Tyrandos

Buy rhino prime from another player instead.

im like you - I like looking cool.

i have also bought some plat to set myself up a “main” Warframe.  Ash Prime is going to be my guy.  He’s cooking now but haven’t yet gone for the skin or helmet or armour or whatever.

Some advice for a new player - macro bullet jump.  You will become a ninja.  That’s what sets this game different from others is the movement.  

I’ve logged in a total of 29 days and got a 50% off coupon last Friday.  Only spent $10 but will do more if I ever land a 75% coupon.

1 hour ago, LarryYourWaiter said:

Buy rhino prime from another player instead.

im like you - I like looking cool.

i have also bought some plat to set myself up a “main” Warframe.  Ash Prime is going to be my guy.  He’s cooking now but haven’t yet gone for the skin or helmet or armour or whatever.

Some advice for a new player - macro bullet jump.  You will become a ninja.  That’s what sets this game different from others is the movement.  

I’ve logged in a total of 29 days and got a 50% off coupon last Friday.  Only spent $10 but will do more if I ever land a 75% coupon.

Ash looks pretty cool, almost as if it's an Organic warframe (Half Life-ish).
And good tip, thanks, I didn't know that I could buy it (complete) from a player.

Rhino is super easy to farm, so I really don't recommend buying him. If you are looking to spend REAL money anyway, wait a couple more weeks, and Rhino Prime, Nyx Prime and Mag Prime will unvault. That way, you probably can obtain a Rhino Prime for LESS than you would spend on the non prime Rhino in the market, or buy the Prime Vault Package and get some nice accessories.

As for plat discount, I seem to never get them except for 20%. I used to get a lot of 50% long time ago, and only got 75% after making major purchases. But when I started bothering to earn plat via trading and stop balling, all I get is 20%. It's kinda sad, really.

I returned to WF late Feb 2018, had last played May 2014.

Seen a 20% discount, a couple of 50% discounts, and a 60% discount. But never a 75% discount.

I farmed regular Rhyno, super easy to farm, and have had a couple of free helmets from alerts. I would not buy a regular frame unless really tied for time or such. 

Thought Saryn was a grind until I noticed I had duplicates enough to build two with spares left over.

Truth is most regular frames are a comfortable grind. Already have most of them myself.

I plan on buying Rhino Prime if he is unvaulted only if the accessories included are good, but have no plans to buy him for 500+ plat from another player.

10 hours ago, LarryYourWaiter said:

Well, you buy all the parts then cook him up in the lab.  I wouldn’t spend plat on the regular wf’s when the primes are like the same cost or better.

edit: Ash has a skin worth 165 plat too that I’m eyeing up...

I see, it does seem that the Prime versions are better & cheaper.. thanks for the tip! Go get that Ask skin! :)

10 hours ago, Datam4ss said:

Rhino is super easy to farm, so I really don't recommend buying him. If you are looking to spend REAL money anyway, wait a couple more weeks, and Rhino Prime, Nyx Prime and Mag Prime will unvault. That way, you probably can obtain a Rhino Prime for LESS than you would spend on the non prime Rhino in the market, or buy the Prime Vault Package and get some nice accessories.

As for plat discount, I seem to never get them except for 20%. I used to get a lot of 50% long time ago, and only got 75% after making major purchases. But when I started bothering to earn plat via trading and stop balling, all I get is 20%. It's kinda sad, really.

I think I'll do just that yeah, get the Rhino through gameplay & get the Prime later.
A friend of mine plays 1 month now and got 3x 75% offs in the past 2 weeks, lol..

8 hours ago, SastusBulbas said:

I returned to WF late Feb 2018, had last played May 2014.

Seen a 20% discount, a couple of 50% discounts, and a 60% discount. But never a 75% discount.

I farmed regular Rhyno, super easy to farm, and have had a couple of free helmets from alerts.
I would not buy a regular frame unless really tied for time or such. 
Though Saryn was a grind until I noticed I had duplicates enough to build two with spares left over.

Truth is most regular frames are a comfortable grind. Already have most of them myself.

I plan on buying Rhino Prime if he is unvaulted only if the accessories included are good, but have no plans to buy him for 500+ plat from another player.

Damn that's a pretty steep time gap, what changes did they make that you found were "best"?
Well I guess that's the point of the game then, gathering Warframes & weapons and the like :p

Edited by Tyrandos