Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Orthos Prime (still) good?

Kelpie77

Question

Hi everyone
in the past few days i was farming a lot of lith relics and, long story short, i ended up with having all pieces for Orthos Prime

I read online is one of the most used polearm (side by side with Lesion, i see), so i'm guessing if is worth building and using it. I read is one of the older prime-variant weapon, but is still mainly used because got a huge reach and good crit chance.

Now, i'm not really a polearm tenno, even if i would like liking that; i mainly use for melee the Galatine Prime (crit build) for warcry-valkyr and Orvius (dual weild with zakti or hystrix) for everyone else. I have a Guandao but not really used that; i have a Zawandau, ie a zaw weapon who has same stat than Guandao but less status and more crit, and a lot of weapon i did'nt use much: a zaw rapier, the broken war, the quest reward weapons etc. Besides, i had fun using the Vaykor Sydon at the point i where in doubt if applying a reactor and keeping it (even if the special ability is useless...)

So in the end: is Orthos Prime good?
and which build did you advice me? the one with blood rush + gladiator for incresing crit chance (ie the same/similar to the standard Galatine Prime crit build)? or is better on a different configuration?

6 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Kelpie77 said:

Hi everyone
in the past few days i was farming a lot of lith relics and, long story short, i ended up with having all pieces for Orthos Prime

I read online is one of the most used polearm (side by side with Lesion, i see), so i'm guessing if is worth building and using it. I read is one of the older prime-variant weapon, but is still mainly used because got a huge reach and good crit chance.

Now, i'm not really a polearm tenno, even if i would like liking that; i mainly use for melee the Galatine Prime (crit build) for warcry-valkyr and Orvius (dual weild with zakti or hystrix) for everyone else. I have a Guandao but not really used that; i have a Zawandau, ie a zaw weapon who has same stat than Guandao but less status and more crit, and a lot of weapon i did'nt use much: a zaw rapier, the broken war, the quest reward weapons etc. Besides, i had fun using the Vaykor Sydon at the point i where in doubt if applying a reactor and keeping it (even if the special ability is useless...)

So in the end: is Orthos Prime good?
and which build did you advice me? the one with blood rush + gladiator for incresing crit chance (ie the same/similar to the standard Galatine Prime crit build)? or is better on a different configuration?

I go with Weeping Wound on Orthos Prime, it can deal good amount of slash proc though

Orthos Prime is both a decent looking weapon if you're one for simpler looks, and highly viable as a melee. The build I run it with is a Condition Overload/Blood Rush/Drifting Contact combo for maximum effect, but I forgo range and speed mods entirely in favour of damage and dual stat mods, though you may have a different concept for what build you want for it.

The O.P. is pretty good, especially if you'd rather spam quick melee or slide attacks, or just don't have the one good polearm stance, because its quick melee animation loops and it has superb reach.

However, it's no longer op, because you can't melee through terrain anymore.

Personally, Orthos Prime is getting a bit old, but it's still a serviceable weapon. However, if you do not fancy polearms, there's nothing special about it that would make it a keeper. Aesthetically, I find the normal Orthos more pleasing, and I am not a polearm guy either. Kept it anyway, but rarely use it. I do prefer the Lesion.

You really don't need the reach mods. I just went CO + Status and Memestrike.

Edited by Guest

Ok thank you.

Probably i'll give a try then, even because is not a super pricey set i could really gain a huge lot of platinum selling it to other players...

as for build, i'll go with the standard blood rush thing, and then trying mix-max some elemental (partially depending on the rest of my loadout)