Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Augment Mods and Added Individuality

ThomasBrody

The current state of augments are Hit or Miss, with a majority being misses.

I understand the role of the modding system and augments place in them is that you are trading basic stats for a unique skill usage/strength, however the strength of most augments do not warrant even close to the trade, and go unused.

There are a few options to deal with this:

1. Buff all subpar augments to be worth the trade

2. Add one, or several Dedicated Augment Slots, which are included in the warframes mod capacity

3. Seperate the augment slot entirely away from the  mod capacity, with their own slots

Now out of personal opinion, I would prefer a mixture. And I feel as though the player base with also prefer a mixed approach as well.

I propose a "talent tree choice" like system for augments. Every ability gets two choices per ability, and can choose one per ability and have each ability augmented.

Completely separate this from the current warframe modding capacity, as well as Buffing those augments that are lacking.

Augments would tend to fall between Offensive Utility, Utility, Or Unique Skill Rework, and players would choose one for each ability and give more of a personal feel outside of the current

modding of the warframes, which has overall became stale, with few viable options

Syndicates will still have all the augments and you will have to "earn" them with the reputation points (will give players something to work for and lower overall mass relic pack buying).

Example : Hydroid 

• Tempest Barrage Choices: 
  1. Corrosive Procs (Utility)
  2.  Additional Damage On Knocked Down Enemies (Damage)

• Tidal Surge Choices:
  1. Heals and Clears Status Effects (Utility)
  • Increased Size and Turns into a casted Projectile (Offensive utility)

• Undertow Choices:
  1. Heals Allies on it (Utility)
  2. Summons the Puddle separately (Offensive utility) 

• Tentacle Swarm Choices:
  1. Additional Items Dropped From Grabbed Enemies (Utility)
  2. Additional Tentacles, Enemies Take Increased Damage While Grabbed (Offensive)

The new and more diverse ways abilities would work would give players some additional ways to use warframes and abilities that they may not of used at all before. While overall this

would be a power spike for players, I'm sure it can be done in a way that will make each person's warframe feel a little more unique outside the 4 base abilities and the very limited

modding differences between players without breaking the game.

Edited by Thep10xer

well, my hopes for the augment system is to be something like that RPG system which you can go for offensive, defense or support/speed..etc. it might not be an RPG system but a different genre but I digress 

simply put it, each ability has an augment slot, and up to 3 augments to choose from each having similar mechanics to what you suggest, each one has a different purpose 

ofc it'll highly depend on balancing the game, since currently an aug for each ability at the same time is kinda crazy especially with frames that have a great aug foreach ability like frost or nekros for example 

1 minute ago, GinKenshin said:

well, my hopes for the augment system is to be something like that RPG system which you can go for offensive, defense or support/speed..etc. it might not be an RPG system but a different genre but I digress 

simply put it, each ability has an augment slot, and up to 3 augments to choose from each having similar mechanics to what you suggest, each one has a different purpose 

ofc it'll highly depend on balancing the game, since currently an aug for each ability at the same time is kinda crazy especially with frames that have a great aug foreach ability like frost or nekros for example 

Ideally Additional Augments beyond 2 for each would be included, But for a base system, at least a choice between two augments per skill is a huge step.

The balance for most augments aren't that strong. There's usually only one , sometimes two that are actually worth using for a warframe, and some don't have to do with huge power spikes in damage.

It could also be limited to two total augments, but within the same system. 

It could even have additional augments above 1 lower total warframe capacity a flat amount, making multiple augments harder to achieve without effort and resources. 

47 minutes ago, Thep10xer said:
  • Add one, or several Dedicated Augment Slots, which are included in the warframes mod capacity

• Seperate the augment slot entirely away from the  mod capacity, with their own slots

There won't be dedicated Augment slots.

47 minutes ago, Thep10xer said:

Buff all subpar augments to be worth the trade

This is completely subjective.

For this system to work, any Augment would have to be, at best, a sidegrade. Otherwise it is just more power creep.

From my point of view the majority of the Augments are working totally outside of what [DE] was intended. They were supposed to change how a skill works and give players more options but they are usually just straight out upgrades that make them mandatory for some skills.

Using as example Hydroid`s Toxic Barrage just as mentioned by OP, the Corrosive Procs should have been part of the Skill from start, the Augment should instead change how the skill works, instead of releasing a barrage of water bolts in an area, make the skill drop a single massive one with a much larger AoE and Damage.

On 2018-07-02 at 3:32 PM, BiancaRoughfin said:

From my point of view the majority of the Augments are working totally outside of what [DE] was intended. They were supposed to change how a skill works and give players more options but they are usually just straight out upgrades that make them mandatory for some skills.

Using as example Hydroid`s Toxic Barrage just as mentioned by OP, the Corrosive Procs should have been part of the Skill from start, the Augment should instead change how the skill works, instead of releasing a barrage of water bolts in an area, make the skill drop a single massive one with a much larger AoE and Damage.

I doubt it, They can't just add to an ability then expect it not to just be an upgrade. 

But I agree, some of these make the abilities viable but take up all that valuable mod space which in turn make abilities weaker

On 2018-07-02 at 2:58 PM, peterc3 said:

There won't be dedicated Augment slots.

This is completely subjective.

For this system to work, any Augment would have to be, at best, a sidegrade. Otherwise it is just more power creep.

How is this anymore subjective than what your opinion is?

There could be augment slots, you don't know what they will do in the end. 

For this system to work, it could work exactly how I said it. Yes "power creep". But not as much as lets say, Rivens, which they added just fine. Tiberon Prime has a 5 disposition and you are worried that Hydroid gets Corrosive procs without having to sacrifice mod space? What