Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove The Take A Rest Message

0Pinger

You do realise how much of a spike load that single message adds to you servers?  You make a big deal of 3 million accounts, even if there are 200k players online at any one time, that is 200k lines of text sent by your irc server to our clients or at worst 3 million.

If someone tried that on a irc server they would be Glined down to the spike load.

Edited by 0Pinger

This only happens outside the US from what I understand, European or Asian countries have legislation requiring that message be plastered everywhere. I've always seen it in Korean MMOs but never in North American games and usually not in the NA versions of games. That being said not all text chat is generated by the server (such as cannot connect to chat server), though your guess is as good as mine as to if that string is.

@PiotrGracz

That's how I would code it to be. It doesn't make sense to have the server send out that message because of the afore-mentioned spike, but would be increadibly easy for it to check a clock somewhere and once that clock hits a certain time echo that message out to the player.

EDIT:

It also wouldn't be hard to have the function that echoes out that message check which region the player is playing in.

Edited by Tsukinoki

This only happens outside the US from what I understand, European or Asian countries have legislation requiring that message be plastered everywhere. I've always seen it in Korean MMOs but never in North American games and usually not in the NA versions of games. That being said not all text chat is generated by the server (such as cannot connect to chat server), though your guess is as good as mine as to if that string is.

Guild Wars had it for a LONG damn time, and GW2 has carried on the tradition. I think NCSoft actually started displaying the message in-game long before it became any kind of legislated requirement.

I generally don't play the game for over an hour straight, unless I'm listening to a podcast or something while I play - I'll usually do a few missions and then leave the game alt tabbed while I do something else. Then I'll tab back in, play for five minutes and see the message.

'You have been playing for over an hour.'

No game, honestly, I was out the back watering the plants, and then I made a sandwi-

'Take a break.'

I just had a break!

'You have ten seconds to comply. Arming explosives.'