Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Effectively Kill Ancients...

Lucilius

Question

Which weapons are "designed" from the start (their un-modded state) to deal with Infested? Am specifically talking about primary and secondary.

I always aim at Ancients' legs hoping to critically hit. But some info states that you got to hit them on the head...Where the heck is it? (With Grineer its definitely their heads. Corpus confuses me too because their helmets should be bullet-proof or something.)

In any case, I cannot win against mobs. Even with my lvl 30 Excal, could not spam a fully upgraded Slash Dash enough to kill Ancients efficiently.

With any weapon that doesn't have innate armor ignoring, try shooting their lower leg because they don't have armor there.

( Note: The hitbox seems a bit off, as it seems to end about a bit below their knees)

If you are using a weapon that does ignore armor (like Bolto®, Acrid, Flux Rifle, etc.) it is usually best to target the head to get the doubled damage for a headshot.

Good weapons for disposing them are usually weapons that ignore armor... especially the Acrid excels at disposing of ancients.

With any weapon that doesn't have innate armor ignoring, try shooting their lower leg because they don't have armor there.

( Note: The hitbox seems a bit off, as it seems to end about a bit below their knees)

If you are using a weapon that does ignore armor (like Bolto®, Acrid, Flux Rifle, etc.) it is usually best to target the head to get the doubled damage for a headshot.

Good weapons for disposing them are usually weapons that ignore armor... especially the Acrid excels at disposing of ancients.

Yet another info about armour ignore against Infested...I'm starting to perceive how important armour ignore is in the game.

They keep telling you to shot the head, because that is their weakspot, taking about double the damage compared to a body hit. But, in contrast to their legs, the head is armored and will grant a damage reduction, that can easily put the damage below a leg-shot.

And that's why:

^ this is the answer.

Note that Sobek and Hek stagger ancients effectively, as well as Dread.

dread stun locks them pretty effectively

Yeah, me too. But thing is, you cannot melee a Toxic Ancient!!!! That's the thing!

Or you can use Ember's overheat, Rhino's iron skin, Nyx's mind control, Trinity's link. Melee (Heavy ones like the scindo) is actually the best. Weapons like Scindo and Orthos (Prime) have ranges long enough to prevent you from getting poisoned by the Toxic Ancients. 

I like the flux Rifle against ancients. Quick shot to the head to stagger them and stop the charge, and then into the upper leg for no armor against elementals. Better DPS to continue to hit em in the head, but they tend to move around too much.

Acrid is the best dps against em only if you arent gonna hit weakspots, because the DoT is always applied as a body shot (I believe).

Which weapons are "designed" from the start (their un-modded state) to deal with Infested? Am specifically talking about primary and secondary.

I always aim at Ancients' legs hoping to critically hit. But some info states that you got to hit them on the head...Where the heck is it? (With Grineer its definitely their heads. Corpus confuses me too because their helmets should be bullet-proof or something.)

In any case, I cannot win against mobs. Even with my lvl 30 Excal, could not spam a fully upgraded Slash Dash enough to kill Ancients efficiently.

There are weapons that do high damage to ancients. For people starting out there is:

Boltor

Kunai/Despair

As these weapons ignore armour you can go for the head rather than the buggy leg hitbox.

Also weapons such as Snipetron.

Edited by Silvershadow66

you can always fire at their knee (was gonna use arrow to knee, but meh), it does 2x more dmg

This is not accurate.

The head has a 2x multiplier for base damage and AP damage. The knee/thigh has no armor, so elemental effects and non-armor-ignoring bullets do more damage.

Pretty sure the lower leg and arm has no armor as well, but the hitbox is extremely buggy.

Edited by Darzk

*Actually* an Acrid will do less DPS than the throwing weapons if you're shooting them in the unarmored knee/thigh, because the DoT component will be treated as body damage and thus the elementals attached to the DoT will take full armor reduction. Unsure which would preform better with headshots.