Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FPS "stuttering" no drop in FPS count

Valaska

I think I have figured out the issue on my end: The new Steam UI, which is a horrendous pile of hot garbage, seems to be the source of the issue. I forced the old UI back and the stutters seems to have stopped. Now if the pesky black artifacts on the PoE issue could get resolved, I'd be a happy boy.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, AusSkiller said:

I've been having the same issue, any new info on how to fix it?
Here's a vid showing how bad it gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0PlK4YlluQ

Thank you for this footage. Have you tried verifying and optimizing your download cache via. the Warframe launcher? This can be done by clicking on the little cogwheel that is located at the top right corner of your launcher.

launcher01.png.9c939bf9f4d04e224db01bac9c45e69d.png

If that does not help, then can you please send us a copy of your EE.log in a support ticket? This should give us a better idea of what's happening as you experience these freezes. Your EE.log can be found here.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

I discovered my issues were not game-centric, but because I have two monitors, one of which operating at a different refresh rate than the other (dang passive DP->HDMI cable limiting pixel clock). On borderless mode, if I had something on the second screen up and running on a browser, or anything that had some sort of hardware acceleration to it, the main screen would throttle or reduce the FPS to match the other because of some weird Windows stupidity. The frame timing of this throttling was horrendous and presented as if it were a game issue or something related to the game's FPS limiters in their various forms.

I fixed this by simply changing the refresh rate of the main monitor to match the secondary. I went from 75Hz to 60Hz, not too big of a difference at all, but entirely worth it (both monitors are the same). This same issue was present in EVE Online and other games, and was fixed by this as well.

Further, as I said before, the new Steam UI is awful and poorly optimized, which causes weird performance hiccups in my games as well, but forcing the old UI prevents that. All in all, odd issue for me. May or may not apply to anyone else in this thread.

Mkay... About $850 in damaged hardware later, my personal issue was not related to Warframe at all but it was a Motherboard issue which eventually locked my entire system and I had to power off at the PSU switch... fried 2 SSD's, hopefully, the motherboard manufacturer will do the right thing and replace said hardware!

• 1 month later...
On 2018-08-15 at 5:18 PM, [DE]Dmitri said:

Thank you for this footage. Have you tried verifying and optimizing your download cache via. the Warframe launcher? This can be done by clicking on the little cogwheel that is located at the top right corner of your launcher.

launcher01.png.9c939bf9f4d04e224db01bac9c45e69d.png

If that does not help, then can you please send us a copy of your EE.log in a support ticket? This should give us a better idea of what's happening as you experience these freezes. Your EE.log can be found here.

I have been having this exact same issue for months since around august as well and have not bothered playing because of it. Nothing I do seems to fix this.

Has this been resolved? This reply was back in August and I do not see any more follow-ups.....

1 minute ago, MrHollyw00d said:

I have been having this exact same issue for months since around august as well and have not bothered playing because of it. Nothing I do seems to fix this.

Has this been resolved? This reply was back in August and I do not see any more follow-ups.....

I've been having this exact same problem for a while and I refuse to play the game until I figure out what the issue is. I haven't been able to play since before chroma prime dropped. 

Asus Maximus X Code

i7 8700k 

NZXT Kraken x62

Gskill Tridentz 3200

Asus ROG 1080 ti 

Soundblaster AE5

My 1080 ti gets wicked coil whine only during warframe, and you even hear it pause for that split second the game itself stutters. So it has to be a driver/graphics card issue. All my other games run completely fine tho. FF15, Destiny 2, League, and 3dMArk stress tests get a 98-99% pass, no stutter or coil whine.

Doing a quick google search "Warframe Stuttering" and you will find dozens of threads from over the years and all over leading back to not only this "stutter" but also people having the same issue with their gpu's having coil wine only while playing warframe. No solutions have ever been found.

1 hour ago, MrHollyw00d said:

I've been having this exact same problem for a while and I refuse to play the game until I figure out what the issue is. I haven't been able to play since before chroma prime dropped. 

Asus Maximus X Code

i7 8700k 

NZXT Kraken x62

Gskill Tridentz 3200

Asus ROG 1080 ti 

Soundblaster AE5

My 1080 ti gets wicked coil whine only during warframe, and you even hear it pause for that split second the game itself stutters. So it has to be a driver/graphics card issue. All my other games run completely fine tho. FF15, Destiny 2, League, and 3dMArk stress tests get a 98-99% pass, no stutter or coil whine.

To fix the coil whine issue you just have to activate V-Sync or set max framerate to w/e ur monitor refresh rate is.

You are getting coil whine because your GPU is rendering too many fps, you are probably getting +400 fps or whatever with that 1080 ti.

Anyways I'm also having some random 0 fps freezes at random times, it's been getting worse lately to a point the game even crashs.

Edited by Novoz

28 minutes ago, Novoz said:

To fix the coil whine issue you just have to activate V-Sync or set max framerate to w/e ur monitor refresh rate is.

You are getting coil whine because your GPU is rendering too many fps, you are probably getting +400 fps or whatever with that 1080 ti.

Anyways I'm also having some random 0 fps freezes at random times, it's been getting worse lately to a point the game even crashs.

Appreciate the reply!

YYeah I do understand where the coil wine comes from and unfortunately it seems like most 1080 ti's are plagued with it. I have set the frames to 144 cap and still get the coil wine. I have a g-sync monitor so I keep vsync off. I will try and lower the frustrate to 120 and see if the lock makes a difference. 

It doesn't help the stutter whats so ever, I have just re-installed the game for the 3rd time just to see if it fixes the issue. 😢 

54 minutes ago, MrHollyw00d said:

Appreciate the reply!

YYeah I do understand where the coil wine comes from and unfortunately it seems like most 1080 ti's are plagued with it. I have set the frames to 144 cap and still get the coil wine. I have a g-sync monitor so I keep vsync off. I will try and lower the frustrate to 120 and see if the lock makes a difference. 

It doesn't help the stutter whats so ever, I have just re-installed the game for the 3rd time just to see if it fixes the issue. 😢 

wow man... just boot it up after it finished download and installing....... the stutter is gone..............

• 1 month later...

This has been a long standing issue over many years. For me, I have NVIDIA and the problem is when code starting to use GPU, the video driver (or the game programmer) did not properly load balance the GPU causing GPU0 always 100% busy and other GPU without any activity. Of course, the DE will say its NVIDIA's responsibility to fix the video driver and NVIDIA will say its the game manufacturer's responsibility to use resources smarter. Over the years DE did try to be resource conscious about memory but recently I guess because of new programmers, the game started to hog memory again or perhaps the game is so memory intensive that it ate up all the memory. DE in general recommend upgrading your video driver as they becomes available, but I am still on Window 7 Pro and the video driver from NVIDIA over the pass 2 years has been buggy (crashing windows).

Imagine Eidlon hunting solo and all of a sudden, frame rate drop from 30fps to 9fps. I just hope DE has a lower quality mode which will hopefully let us play the game without stuttering.

• 2 weeks later...