Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Get Rid Of No Shields Nightmare Mode

Limekim

Play against Corpus with No shields and energy drain. Volt without Diamond skin (BECAUSE IT IS @(*()$ USELESS DEVS! WTF?! You can do better than that S#&$) 21% less damage from energy based weapons. Is care level of reading a news paper while S#&$ting and somebody else wants to S#&$.

No shields IS BS 100%, All around the clock and on every players mind it is bull S#&$. Nobody loves to be naked at the area what is full of people. (just a bad joke)

If you dont like it dont play it, it's that simple.

No map can taken down because it was annoying and now you are looking for something else for the same reason?

Or just play the low level ones, all the mods drop randomly so it's not like you need to run the high level ones for better loot.

There's two way to ready yourself up for those :

• Bring Health Packs

• Don't do them alone

You WILL get downed, that's the mindset you must get yourself around for that kind of mission. It's why you need a good team to tackle a Nightmare mode of any sort so that in the off chance it IS no shield / energy drain, you can still pull it off.

Bringing health packs hardly feels like any real display of skill or overcoming challenge, though - it's merely stocking up on healing items to grind your way through inevitable health loss. Its the equivalent of doing so in any RPG - it doesnt really show any ability of the player beyond that of outlasting their enemies to death.

As for not doing them alone, that is no guarantee of success either, and certainly not one of enjoyment. A friend and I tackled one such mission on Phobos with all our best gear this very evening. Though we eventually succeeded, it was a long and tedious affair: we were both nearly out of revives, and utterly frustrated to the point of no longer enjoying the game. The sheer volume of enemies means it is impossible to find safe spots in many rooms, even with the most cautious approach possible, and a single second exposed to gunfire drops your health a large chunk - we were playing Saryn and Rhino, hardly what one would consider vulnerable frames.

I'm not averse to challenge, but I am to scenarios that are not enjoyable due to excessive punishment. Putting no shields and no energy together is a mistake. The two conditions should be seperated, as well as disallowed from occurring together.

Edited by MalusCalibur

No shield mission are tolerable on infested mission and are just a minor handicap at best. For the other two faction it is needless annoying because of the lack of reliable means to heal yourself outside of a trinity. This just makes rhino and trinity the only good frames and all other are vender trash with the no shield conditional on corpus/grineer maps.

If nothing else I wouldn't mind if no-shields mission were only for mission where NPC are infested only.

No shield mission are tolerable on infested mission and are just a minor handicap at best. For the other two faction it is needless annoying because of the lack of reliable means to heal yourself outside of a trinity. This just makes rhino and trinity the only good frames and all other are vender trash with the no shield conditional on corpus/grineer maps.

If nothing else I wouldn't mind if no-shields mission were only for mission where NPC are infested only.

Slot a regen aura and rage ?

Slot a regen aura and rage ?

Rage is useless if you get the no energy condition as well.  Also, if you get vampire regen is worthless and it is just a mess to have the random effects. I just slot a rifle aura if I bother to swap out energy siphon. Using a mod, consumables or an aura to mitigate an effect of nightmare isn't skill either.

I just do not like No-shields because it is 100% a safe best to pick rhino/trinity regardless of what random effect you get and that kill diversity of options. I would much rather No-shield be a mission specific effect like they talked about in live streams.

I got the 10 mods from nightmare already, I cleared it without any problems and the issue was it is so much easier with 2 frames.  It is more fun to solo T3 defense than it is to do any nightmare mission simply because it can be planned for and it's requirements do not change.

I am not asking to even get rid of it like the OP is, I just want it more rational on what map it is on or not be able to be combined with no energy.

Edit: Many typos

Edited by LazyKnight

If you dont like it dont play it, it's that simple.

No map can taken down because it was annoying and now you are looking for something else for the same reason?

Or just play the low level ones, all the mods drop randomly so it's not like you need to run the high level ones for better loot.

Except that I have to run them if I want any of the very powerful dual mods and even on Venus any ofy frames will drop from three or four hits.....making it impossible for me to play them and be a useful team member, the no shields/no energy is a broken mechanic because it forces you to play a certain way and that is rather unfair to anyone that doesn't play tank frames.

Except that I have to run them if I want any of the very powerful dual mods and even on Venus any ofy frames will drop from three or four hits.....making it impossible for me to play them and be a useful team member, the no shields/no energy is a broken mechanic because it forces you to play a certain way and that is rather unfair to anyone that doesn't play tank frames.

Well.... yeah. If you wants those mods you are going to have to run them. Since they are "powerful", as you say, do you think they should just handed to you?

Dude at Mercury those things a like level 17 or something, unless you got a brand new Warframe they should be no trouble, stop exaggerating.

And it "forces" into a different style of gameplay..... so what? Is this the first video game that changed up tactics on you? What games have you played that lets you do the same exact thing from start to finish, Tetris?

You trying to solo it or something?  If not, thats a load of crap.  I've taken Nova to nightmares with no shield + energy drain and done fine.  A week or so ago when Kiste was nightmare, I got no shields energy drain and we had 2 novas and were fine.  You're just doing it wrong if you think Nova is weak in those conditions... its not NO energy, it is energy drain.  You can pick up orbs and mprime (and theres tons of orbs), you just can't hold onto the energy indefinitely.

And if you are, get a group or get a Rhino.  Obviously it has to be tuned for a group to be challenging which means it will be harder solo.  And its not even impossible solo, you just may need to min/max a bit and I have as little sympathy for you if that is the issue as I would for a newbie whining that he cant solo pluto with his level 15 excal and mk-1.  Every frame is viable on no shield + energy drain in a group though and as this is a co-op game, thats just fine.

Edited by Sesshou01

No shields? Acceptable. I can stealth or snowglobe or iron skin or heal. Lots of possibilities to avoid damage, especially in a team.

It makes me feel more ninja. I'm still a powerhouse but I cannot allow myself to be unaware or make mistakes.

Quite challenging and fun. Emphasizes quick thinking and the creative use of terrain and abilities.

Energy drain? Acceptable. I can rely on gunplay, mobility and my shields. I can use cover to recharge them and work my way slowly through the mission. It turns the game into a generic sci-fi shooter. Can be fun from time to time. I happen to find myself doing more wallruns, too.

No shields and energy drain at the same time is a bit much though. It essentially means I'm limited to gunplay.

That can be highly punishing because apart from Shade there is no reliable way to avoid damage. One stray grenade and you're out.

Mobility doesn't help a lot because as soon as you run out of endurance you're dead.

Cover helps but the enemy will most likely overwhelm you. Worst part, fleeing is hardly an option as the enemy will shoot you in the back.

In short, you're too limited in your playstyle. No fun!

Or you could cheese it with Rhino >_> 

lol 

Headshots only, I'm OK with that.  What else you got?

Wall run/midair kills only....F*** yeah.  Bring on the rage. 

1 HP. I'd rather have that than no shields.

No shield should be really rare that comes with REALLY rare rewards, to the point that people spam nightmare missions just hoping to encounter a no shield mission.

See, that I'd like, rewards given depending on the difficulty of the mode. I'd be all like "aww yisss, no shields mode, phat lewt time".
Edited by DeadlyNerd

Only real hard part is when you get

- No Shields

- Energy Drain

Even a team of "no Vitality" frames made it though. You know how? We took it slow and picked each other up letting us take turns getting fired at. Would that strategy work too well on Phobos or another area of heavy gunfire? Probably not. I made it through a No Shields and Energy Drain Nightmare on an Infested Defense and we made it through.

It's not the Nightmare Mode that's bad. It's some combinations. By the way Energy Drain = No Shield. which is an issue, because there already is a No Shield version. So here are some good combo's assuming Energy Drain is changed to only drain energy, not shields.

- No Shield and Vampirism: This is a good combo because you can regenerate your HP but have to rely on cover at times. It keeps pressure on to fight because you lost HP all the time. I would rate this one as one of the more challenging combos.

- Energy Drain and Timer: Keeps the pace going and you have to rely on skills not on abilities to keep the timer going.

- Higher Level Enemies and Shield Reduction: They are stronger and you are weaker (without giving them free damage). Pressure is on to kill or be killed.

- Enemy Damage Buff and Longer Reload: Annoying but you can take it slow and use your shields to soak the damage as you move.

- Low Gravity and well... im out of combos without repeats.

However ones that should never be paired together.

- No Shield and Energy Drain

- Higher Level Enemies and Enemy Damage Buff

The others aren't as massively effecting to gameplay and can be mix-n-matched freely. I certainly won't cry over a Low Gravity Vampirism (those are kinda fun). Though the constant blinking of red is annoying for Vampirism. It makes it so we can't tell when we are taking actual damage that isn't from the game-mode.

Edited by Estred

No shields isn't really comparable to the days of no shield shooters; Recharging shield shooters are designed differently. Enemies hit a lot harder, and they are a lot more accurate. Lots of skirmisher shooters had enemies whose projectiles were clearly visible and moved.

Of the three factions, Infested probably most closely emulates it - high damage if they touch you, but its pretty easy to avoid. Unfortunately infested never seem to spawn as nightmare modes.

No shields isn't really comparable to the days of no shield shooters; Recharging shield shooters are designed differently. Enemies hit a lot harder, and they are a lot more accurate. Lots of skirmisher shooters had enemies whose projectiles were clearly visible and moved.

If they littered the map with medkits that scaled with level (+250 hp?  Golden!), I'm sure it'd be fine.