The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Ogris - Is It Worth It?

Psychosist

Question

1.) How does the damage work with mods? If the rocket does 150 impact damage and the explosion does 500, which of these is affected by mods? Is the damage "set" similarly to the Thunderbolt on Bows?

2.) How well does it perform on Defense and Mobile Defense missions? What level ranges are suggested for an elemental build? I know full well Ogris is mitigated by armor, but I don't know how long it'll perform well until it becomes near useless.

3.) I have not started any of the research for the Ogris, or even built the Chem Lab for that matter. Building the Lab, researching Detonite Injector, Ignis, and Ogris will take me ten full days. It'll also cost 1150 Plastids and 5 Control Modules, both of which I can afford but will take a heavy toll on my resources. This is what concerns me the most, as I only have so many resources for so many weapons, and if I were to blow them off on a single weapon, I would really want my effort to pay off.

So, how's Ogris? Is it good? Should I get started on Research in my current state?

Edit:

Yeah I''m gonna get it. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Psychosist

17 answers to this question

The Ogris is amazing.  It is my main weapon for defense if I am on trash clear.  For heavy clear I recommend something that has armor ignore.  But back to the Ogris.  The explosion is increased by your mods, so the more you mod it out, the more likely that a misplaced shot will kill you.  Before damage mods, put on a speed trigger, that means you can shoot faster (trust me, you will notice the difference right away) 

A Rainbow build works really well on this weapon.   I have put three forma on mine so far, it is very much worth it.   It is best to use this weapon with a Clan or Friends because there are some players that really think the Ogris is cheese and will troll you for it.   Some Frosts will globe right in front of your rocket and kill you then leave you to die.  

Ive been a long fan of rocket type weapons for a number of games where they fit into standard game play. (Quake, TF2, unreal tournament ETC) So when the ogris came out it was first on my list to build.

1) As far as i can tell it multipies the splash damage ergo the explosive damage, and from what i can tell, it has no set damage.

2) For regular defense and mobile defense it works extremely once you get the hang of it. Though because of impact and splash it tends not to work well with snow globe. Infact its recomened you arent in close range with it. It works especially well with infested defense as long as you got an anti armor weapon for the ancients.

3) If you like rocket launchers and want one of the best weapons in the game, go for it. I know i would have.

The weapon is extremely good for defense and mobile defense, and also higher level void missions. I personally don't like using it during normal missions because the tiles are a bit too small and I sometimes don't judge the distance correctly and kill myself. Using it in wide open tiles will yield the best results, and this is normally during void or defense/mobile defense. I've forma'd the thing four times and will probably do it once more once I level my serration up.

My build for infested defense: split chamber, serration, bane of infested, hellfire, fast hands, speed trigger, wildfire, and piercing hit.

Everything else I swap out bane of infested for cryo rounds. I would switch hellfire for stormbringer during corpus missions but I'm dumb and haven't leveled that mod yet.

But with this build (everything maxed except serration, which is at 6), I'm doing well over 2000 base damage before factoring mods in. It's not enough to wipe mobs during say, wave 25+ xini in one shot, but chances are if you're that far along you have a vauban on your team.

It's definitely worth it if you do a lot of defense missions, but you're going to want some other primary for those close quarter tiles in regular missions where it can be harder to put distance between yourself and the explosion. 

Ogris is most powerful bow ever! Not sure about lanka though, haven't heavy modified it yet, but still, Ogris gained advance with its splash attack, raping hordes of enemies.

I've got 9th serration rank, no stupid setup, including fast hand or armor piercing. 

Here's what I'm running with during xini defences

1. Serration 9th = +150% base dmg

2. Multishot = +90% to deal double damage (one rocket hits twice)

3. Wildfire = +120% fire damage against infested

4. Hellfire = +180% fire damage against infested

5. Shred = +30% rof (actually, +30% of charge speed)

6. Speed trigger = +60% rof. Pairing with the shred, you're significanlty decreasing your charge time.

7. Cryo rounds = +90% of cryo damage, but the most part is slowing some explosion survivors down.

8. Bane of infested - not mandatory part, but additional 30% to the base damage is not that bad.

Ogris is most powerful bow ever! Not sure about lanka though, haven't heavy modified it yet, but still, Ogris gained advance with its splash attack, raping hordes of enemies.

A bow? Really? Its a rocket launcher not a bow.

On the other hand, as the other people already have said, yes ogris is very much worth it. Just be careful not to get hit your own shot.

I was also apprehensive, but that went away almost as soon as I started using it. It is my go to primary for two main reasons.

- The damage is impressive at all levels, which is bolstered by the fact that you're never running out of ammo. If you take 5 shots to kill a l level 150+ ancient it's not like there's anything else around alive to distract you.

- If you know where to place your shots you end up doing more damage than everyone else. Couple that with awareness of the blast range and you can use it everywhere, I certainly do! Just remember aiming for the ground or wall will make the explosion more reliable and cover a larger area.

Also, don't listen to the guy who thinks putting piercing hit on an ogris is a waste. NO. Aside from faction specific elemental damage ( which is mitigated almost totally at higher levels) armor piercing is the most effective elemental mod hands down. ( until they change the damage system at least)

The weapon might not necessarily be synergistic with your playstyle but it is dammed effective regardless

Though because of impact and splash it tends not to work well with snow globe. Infact its recomened you arent in close range with it.

Ogris and Torid both suffer at the hands of Snow Globe.  Both shine with Vortex though...suck 'em in and nuke 'em

This, and people randomly running in front of you because they want to bogart your perfect firing position/being unaware. 

Saying that I only get downed by this about once a day and its only because I'm in PUGs. I never have any problem with my Space Shark Inc comerades, but sometimes everyone is just busy :(

Ogris and Torid both suffer at the hands of Snow Globe.  Both shine with Vortex though...suck 'em in and nuke 'em

Edited by SoyMalone