Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lore 2.0: A Way To Get More Of It Into The Game

Sixty5

Who wants lore? We want lore!

However DE seem to be having trouble getting it to us. The best we get is the occasional snippet added in through the codex. And while recent snippets have been amazing, they do not fully satisfy the craving many of us have for more in depth Lore.

That being said, real depth comes from the little things, for instance if you ever stopped to read all those books in Skyrim, you get to see little snippets, each of which change the land from a gamescape to a more vibrant and rich fantasy experience.

With that in mind, I've come up with what I think is a pretty neat idea to implement more lore without too much hassle.

Basically, every so often an enemy will drop a datapad/holo tape/relic/message upon death, these can be collected and become lore fragments, each telling a little tale in a couple of hundred words or less. They don't have to big, or exceedingly relevant, they just have to tell the reader something.

That basic idea can be expanded as well. Say each planet had 20 individual cards, each with its own little tale. Collecting them all could unlock a significantly larger piece of the story, relevant to that location, for instance, getting all of Mercury's cards might give you Vor's prize.

Making them collectible has another advantage, you could trade duplicates, to get the whole story faster, and help your friends to do the same.

I will say right here, if they are collectible, they all need the same drop chance, no-one likes grinding for that one last elusive bit.

But what would these cards contain?

Well I'm glad you asked, firstly I recommend you go read this thread now. It contains a PERFECT example of what DE could put in with this system, yes it is a tad heavy on the feels, but that is a good thing, many of us want to care about the universe in this game.

The beauty with such a simple system is that DE could save themselves a bunch of work by asking the community to write them (or at least some of them). All they'd have to do is open submissions and then come back a week later and pick out the ones they like.

As a final addition contextual items could also be added. Certain tiles could contain unique collectibles unavailable elsewhere. It would give us an actual reason to go hunt out loot rooms for a change

So what do you think, yay or nay?

(And yes I know we barely have lore1.0 now, so if you comment that I will slap you with a fish for not reading beyond the title)

BUT DUDE WE NEEDZ LORE 1.0 FIRST~!@!!!!~@!11111

But really, this sounds like a nice idea, maybe have a single date thingy drop from each level, so different planets have different story's lengths, and maybe the bosses could like carry an audio log or something like that, just idea....but this sounds very nice

BUT DUDE WE NEEDZ LORE 1.0 FIRST~!@!!!!~@!11111

But really, this sounds like a nice idea, maybe have a single date thingy drop from each level, so different planets have different story's lengths, and maybe the bosses could like carry an audio log or something like that, just idea....but this sounds very nice

h8fApDf.gif

But thank you for your feedback.

Nice idea. Seeing as picking up most loot is personalized I am sure it would be possible that you see these drop only when you need them.

I really like the idea of just getting fans to write these then have them vetted. Hey if DE wants I would even pay 10 plat to submit if it meant something cool like this could be implemented.

Also this system could work for DE to build towards events. They could slip a new message now and then leaking secrets about events and changes in the behind the scenes of the game. E.g. Rescue 2.0 event has made the red veil a real thing in game. This could have been preceded by finding communication files about growing unrest in the colonists under grinner rule and talks of secret meetings the corpus want to stop. The codex (terribly under used) to keep a list of all the entries and would let you know when new entries are added for you to find. (codex automatically updates when any value to a mob or mod or weapon is changed).

You could also make it that you get these through scanning or hacking spare computers in-game. These would not be way-pointed (to not distract the zorencopters as they buzz by) but when you approach you can interact.

Hey, we should all write one!

I'll go first: Since there were nine beats when the Tenno killed the Orokin, I wrote this;

Nine beats rang as the Tenno came forth,

Nine beats rang on the Golden Earth,

Nine, said the master of the birds and bees,

Eight, said the gardener of bloody trees,

Seven, said the lord in his golden tower,

Six, said the master of time and hours,

Five, said the worldshaper, battered and bent,

Four, said the Seer, though she knew not what it meant,

Three, said the Guardians, weak was their knife,

Two, said the common ones, begging the Tenno for life, 

One, said the last ones, bloody on the glass, and

Nothing, said the lady with the purple mask.

No beats rang as the Tenno left,

There was nothing but gold and blood and death.

-Retrieved from Void Tower archives

Dang I'm awesome.

Hey, we should all write one!

I'll go first: Since there were nine beats when the Tenno killed the Orokin, I wrote this;

Nine beats rang as the Tenno came forth,

Nine beats rang on the Golden Earth,

Nine, said the master of the birds and bees,

Eight, said the gardener of bloody trees,

Seven, said the lord in his golden tower,

Six, said the master of time and hours,

Five, said the worldshaper, battered and bent,

Four, said the Seer, though she knew not what it meant,

Three, said the Guardians, weak was their knife,

Two, said the common ones, begging the Tenno for life, 

One, said the last ones, bloody on the glass, and

Nothing, said the lady with the purple mask.

No beats rang as the Tenno left,

There was nothing but gold and blood and death.

-Retrieved from Void Tower archives

Dang I'm awesome.

Interesting

This just go and support that it was the Tenno who caused Orokin to dissapear, and maybe Lotus was behind it after all. I mean Stalker codex pretty much prove it and Tenno are called Betrayer for some reason, just wish DE expand on this otherwise the Stalker is just a joke one dimensional farming spot for the Hate, Dread, Despair

• 3 weeks later...

hey dude i have this idea for lore called history. this is how it works:

history is in the form of a book that can be read in the codex, but requires players to collect and fill in the "pages" first

history is stored in all ships and can be scanned with the CS each entry is a paragraph or two and only needs to be scanned once. the ship you are on determines the factions entry that you will get e.g. fighting corpus on grineer gallon = grineer entry and vise versa.

there is one book per faction (except infested but they're kinda included in orokin history) and it goes into depth on each faction each one having different reports of the same event (e.g. the great war) and documents on how they arouse