Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Better New Player Experience > Improving Core Gameplay Elements ?

Tengu-musume

New player: "Oh wow, this game has an amazing tutorial system. I'm having a great start with minimal confusion! I can't wait to keep playing to see what the rest of the game is like! It must be a fun-filled adventure!"

Little does the new player know..

...the Market he will soon visit will have hilariously overpriced items...

...he will have to grind like a madman for basically everything until he is the very highest MR he can be...

...DE has a history of leaving interesting weapons in the dust, including his soon-to-be favorites...

...he will either have to get himself a "Boltor Prime" of his time in Warframe or play pretend...

...he won't be able to take the lore seriously because every enemy he meets is dense...

...he will wonder where the endgame is, why people refer to endless stat-scaling enemies as endgame...

...the best way to null the pain is to join an active clan to share in the pain of grinding together...

...he will eventually join us in the forums as either a broken white knight or a bitter veteran.

Since 30 Mastery Ranks 'exist'. And we are only able to obtain 686k mastery out of the projected 2250k, what if I told you this game is only roughly 30% of the projected final product? :P

Let's hope something magical happens and DE changes their mind about the mass-murder horde-mode grindfest farming simulator they have going on with Warframe.

Let's hope that the rest of the 70% won't be more Ninjas Farm Free.

Greetings Tenno. DE didn't say they won't be focusing on core game play. One thing at a time. We all know that Warframe has come a long way. When we look at the Warframe a year back and compare with the current game, it has improved a ton. And it will continue to. Just give them time~

Greetings Tenno. DE didn't say they won't be focusing on core game play. One thing at a time. We all know that Warframe has come a long way. When we look at the Warframe a year back and compare with the current game, it has improved a ton. And it will continue to. Just give them time~

I´ll give em time.

Steam just ahd summer-sale. Gonna play some games with actuall story.

See you in a year

Ehn.... I'd beg to differ on that. DE has gotten into a very nasty habit of completely breaking their promise of "we'll reduce the grind!" to the point of taking two steps back for every step forward they make (not to mention many other issues with their design choices).

For example....

Melee 2.0: Overhaul on Melee. Could use quite a bit of work, but overall is a good start. And those nice combos we were told we could do? Haha, you f#$%ers! You have to play the lottery to even have a chance at using a lot of these awesome combos! (i'm lookin at you, gleaming talon)

T4: Promoted as a way to help clear dilution on void drop tables. Sounded great. And then the tables got FUBAR'd more than they already were.

Those are just two examples of the crap they've done lately and why I'm, as of late, in a very bitter state of mind towards DE and Warframe. Not to mention that there are so many long-standing issues that have yet to be addressed properly.

Sincerely, an extremely bitter veteran.

Edited by BizarreFetalChimpanzee

Yes, new player experience is more important at the moment.

Having the possibility of "disappointing" a player when they go farther in game is a lot better than confusing the majority of newcomers and having them not continue playing at all.

Fix the late-game all you want but if you can't get people to play in the first place it will all be for nothing.

Yes, new player experience is more important at the moment.

Having the possibility of "disappointing" a player when they go farther in game is a lot better than confusing the majority of newcomers and having them not continue playing at all.

Fix the late-game all you want but if you can't get people to play in the first place it will all be for nothing.

It's not even late-game. It's right-out-of-the-tutorial until highest-MR.

The grind. It is an ever-watchful eye.

edit: need sleep

Edited by Chlora

Ehn.... I'd beg to differ on that. DE has gotten into a very nasty habit of completely breaking their promise of "we'll reduce the grind!" to the point of taking two steps back for every step forward they make (not to mention many other issues with their design choices).

For example....

Melee 2.0: Overhaul on Melee. Could use quite a bit of work, but overall is a good start. And those nice combos we were told we could do? Haha, you f#$%ers! You have to play the lottery to even have a chance at using a lot of these awesome combos! (i'm lookin at you, gleaming talon)

T4: Promoted as a way to help clear dilution on void drop tables. Sounded great. And then the tables got FUBAR'd more than they already were.

Those are just two examples of the crap they've done lately and why I'm, as of late, in a very bitter state of mind towards DE and Warframe. Not to mention that there are so many long-standing issues that have yet to be addressed properly.

Sincerely, an extremely bitter veteran.

Yes. I know DE has been trying to make changes and sometimes it didn't turn out as expected. Well I want many changes as well in the aspects of game play. They make mistakes and they'll correct it sooner or later. I'm not defending them. It's just that we should understand that they can't give out everything at one go. 

~My humble opinion

This is a tricky subject.

It is, but isn't at the same time, if they leave before they start why work on the later game at this point.

BUT

Why work on early game if the said player will just leave eventually anyways.

It's not even late-game. It's right-out-of-the-tutorial until highest-MR.

The grind. It is an ever-watchful eye.

edit: need sleep

My statement still stands.

Also: We have the same number of posts. We must be soul-bound.

Yes. I know DE has been trying to make changes and sometimes it didn't turn out as expected. Well I want many changes as well in the aspects of game play. They make mistakes and they'll correct it sooner or later. I'm not defending them. It's just that we should understand that they can't give out everything at one go. 

~My humble opinion

I would agree with you on the pretense you bring up of "They make mistakes and they'll correct [them] sooner or later," but the fact that there have been long standing issues since before I even started playing that they seem to simply outright refuse to fix keeps me from agreeing with this statement. I'd love to agree with it, but with what DE has been doing, I simply can't agree in good judgement.

well, atleast if the New Player Experience is good enough to teach players and get them to like the game, they'll stay around to see all of those bad things you saw.

instead of now, where most Prospective Players leave Warframe before they even see those types of problems, because the New Player Experience doesn't play in an interesting way whatsoever.

Wow, I mean really wow! You make the game sound like it isn't fun at all. Sure Warframe has it's fair share of issues (like an unrelating void loot table and gleaming talon) but every game does. DE seems to be working on alot of the issues, and while some updates and changes seem to make more mind numbing problems (Damage 2.0, Melee 2.0, T4 void loot etc etc) it is a step in the right direction. We're on 13.9, and on release update 13 was decently tattered, but things have patched up fairly well since. Update 14 will probably be similar and end the same when update 15 comes around. The difference however will be that anyone that starts playing will have some form a guidance to get started.

Remember starting and looking at all the locked nodes on a solar system, only to find that there was one open clickable one on Mercury? I can only speak for myself but I had no idea what I was doing. This button shoots, this button switches weapons, shoot enemy in the head. I have shields and health, shields regen and health doesnt. Blue orbs do something, red gives me health. Oh, the number buttons are special powers. Oh, we have different characters with different special powers. Mods? Weapon blueprints? Resources?! Keys!?! Bosses drop frame parts and mods and resources to make more resources to make more weapons to modify?!

The rabbit hole got deep quickly, and I had only just gotten to Venus. Now with a better starting experience people will be able to get their foot in the door more easily and possibly continue playing instead of picking it up for a short while before dropping it confused and frustrated. I trust DE that they will fix some of the issues in the game, but getting people hooked on a game you're making is extremely important, for both the developer and the game's community (more players = larger player base). The important thing is to have fun, so do what you enjoy.

And really, Boltor Prime? I still love my Dera...and my Penta...when it doesn't blow up in my face.

EDIT: The thread moved while I was typing. Is this what going through the void is like? Am I Warframe now?   <.<   >.>

Edited by AlchemicMike