Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tonkor-What We Want Our Snipers To Be?

Evanescent

Well, I'm not against implementing new and unique mechanics, although I think that's more like icing on the cake rather than the actual cake itself, which is improving sniper rifles' core mechanics. The way I see it, the main problem with snipers (and most low RoF weapons) is that they rely too much on chance rather than actual skill to deal the bulk of their damage. While Multi-shot and Critical-chance are clearly fantastic mods on automatic weapons due to the sheer number of bullets they pop out to begin with, on snipers you really feel the impact of not scoring a critical hit and/or not getting that extra bullet. Snipers need a higher multiplier or an innate crit-chance on headshots so that the damage is based on skill rather than skill + luck.

Additionally, while I personally don't care for multishot as it currently works, I can't see DE removing these mods anytime soon, so they could at least implement a sniper-specific Multi-shot mod that reaches 100%.

Well, I'm not against implementing new and unique mechanics, although I think that's more like icing on the cake rather than the actual cake itself, which is improving sniper rifles' core mechanics. The way I see it, the main problem with snipers (and most low RoF weapons) is that they rely too much on chance rather than actual skill to deal the bulk of their damage. While Multi-shot and Critical-chance are clearly fantastic mods on automatic weapons due to the sheer number of bullets they pop out to begin with, on snipers you really feel the impact of not scoring a critical hit and/or not getting that extra bullet. Snipers need a higher multiplier or an innate crit-chance on headshots so that the damage is based on skill rather than skill + luck.

Additionally, while I personally don't care for multishot as it currently works, I can't see DE removing these mods anytime soon, so they could at least implement a sniper-specific Multi-shot mod that reaches 100%.

I did not add your suggestions (which are fantastic btw) Because I assumed the statwise buffs would are given when DE is going to rework these sexy beasts.

Snipers just need:

-damage buff

-innate and a hefty punchthrough

-maybe small aoe on impact(like opticor)

And they would be usable again.

i would say crit buff instead of damage.35% like the tonkor is good.

And big yes for the punch through.Seriously,even our sniper in our era can pass walls if they're not too big BUT BIG BADASS snipers in a futuristic context can't ?:(

i would say crit buff instead of damage.35% like the tonkor is good.

And big yes for the punch through.Seriously,even our sniper in our era can pass walls if they're not too big BUT BIG BADASS snipers in a futuristic context can't ?:(

Wouldn't it be awesome if snipers could be like the Opticor-Huge damage without relying on RNG?

The most simple way to improve Sniper Rifles right now is to give them innate punch through and maybe up their damage a bit.

you can increase Damage for a year and it won't matter.

if Bows and Sniper Rifles have the same role in combat (they do currently) - then one is better than the other. one side makes the other side pointless to exist.

and it basically boils down to what does more Damage.

as long as they have the exact same purpose in combat and therefore are directly competing against each other, one side will be pointless compared to the other.

Wouldn't it be awesome if snipers could be like the Opticor-Huge damage withoutrelying on RNG?

as has been mentioned before (this has all been talked about many times before), 35% Crit Chance makes for some unreliability. Critical Delay then becomes a niche Mod for guaranteed Crits to compensate for user error.

Weakpoints granting a flat +25 Crit Chance means Sniper Rifles actually want you to aim where you should be Aiming.

and ofcourse, having poor Crit Chance (but high Crit Damage) and +100 or guaranteed Crit on Weakpoints is another option. though doesn't create a niche use for Mods like Critical Delay. i'd prefer to build the game around the Mods we have, to give them all a use. but could live with not quite doing so.

as well as so much more, that has already been talked about. things that make Skill Based Weapons rather than trying to fix things by inflating stats more, when in this situation we know for certain that inflating stats will never solve the problem.

you can increase Damage for a year and it won't matter.

if Bows and Sniper Rifles have the same role in combat (they do currently) - then one is better than the other. one side makes the other side pointless to exist.

and it basically boils down to what does more Damage.

as long as they have the exact same purpose in combat and therefore are directly competing against each other, one side will be pointless compared to the other.

as has been mentioned before (this has all been talked about many times before), 35% Crit Chance makes for some unreliability. Critical Delay then becomes a niche Mod for guaranteed Crits to compensate for user error.

Weakpoints granting a flat +25 Crit Chance means Sniper Rifles actually want you to aim where you should be Aiming.

and ofcourse, having poor Crit Chance (but high Crit Damage) and +100 or guaranteed Crit on Weakpoints is another option. though doesn't create a niche use for Mods like Critical Delay. i'd prefer to build the game around the Mods we have, to give them all a use. but could live with not quite doing so.

as well as so much more, that has already been talked about. things that make Skill Based Weapons rather than trying to fix things by inflating stats more, when in this situation we know for certain that inflating stats will never solve the problem.

Exactly. This is why I'm against a simple stat buff. I don't want to compete with bows,; we need to make snipers niche.

Just make snipers have pinpoint accuracy, insane damage but slow (as in slower than bows) fire rate.

That's how snipers are in pretty much any game.

Maybe give them innate punch trough (like some of them already have).

Just make snipers have pinpoint accuracy, insane damage but slow (as in slower than bows) fire rate.

That's how snipers are in pretty much any game.

Maybe give them innate punch trough (like some of them already have).

Again, a flat damage increase would just make them alternate reskinned and perhaps a bit more accurate bows.

Why not take this chance and make them unique?

Again, a flat damage increase would just make them alternate reskinned and perhaps a bit more accurate bows.

Because not everything has to be unique. I don't care if they are exactly like bows. As long as both are equal and it comes to aesthetics on which you prefer, then I will be a happy man. I don't want some convoluted mechanic tied to them just to make them "special". Just give me my punch-though, damage, and crit, and they will be golden.

Because not everything has to be unique. I don't care if they are exactly like bows. As long as both are equal and it comes to aesthetics on which you prefer, then I will be a happy man. I don't want some convoluted mechanic tied to them just to make them "special". Just give me my punch-though, damage, and crit, and they will be golden.

But you see, it won't stay about aesthetics. They will either then overshadow or be overshadowed by Bows, Making Bow lovers feel cheated or Sniper lovers feeling still unsatisfied. Their damage will be compared, and as long as snipers are hitscan for same or more damage, they will be chosen every time.

Why have so many weapons that are all the same? What's the point in having so many, then?

There are no 'convoluted' mechanics, as you put it. Simple buffs, simple cc, simple QoL procs that give snipers utility besides damage.

Nothing to lose there. Bows remain unique, snipers remain unique.

Would you eat the same dish everyday? How boring would that be?

Spice up the gameplay! 

(I think it's already a given snipers will receive stat buff when DE looks that them again)

But you see, it won't stay about aesthetics. They will either then overshadow or be overshadowed by Bows, Making Bow lovers feel cheated or Sniper lovers feeling still unsatisfied. Their damage will be compared, and as long as snipers are hitscan for same or more damage, they will be chosen every time.

Why have so many weapons that are all the same? What's the point in having so many, then?

There are no 'convoluted' mechanics, as you put it. Simple buffs, simple cc, simple QoL procs that give snipers utility besides damage.

Nothing to lose there. Bows remain unique, snipers remain unique.

Would you eat the same dish everyday? How boring would that be?

Spice up the gameplay! 

(I think it's already a given snipers will receive stat buff when DE looks that them again)

They can complain all they want since only data matters, and if the data on their stats is the same, then they are just blowing hot air for no reason. No one is forcing them either to go the bow or Sniper route if everything is the same stats wise. If a clan or squad mate is complaining, you can tell them to shove their compaint up their sphincter, or find a new group to play with.

They are  not all the same. They all look different which is good enough for me.

I also do eat the same dish almost everyday. I love my ramen for lunch since it gives me all the nutrients I need. :)

More damage than bows, less atk speed, maybe innate punch trough, it's relatively unique.

I don't see why they should be treated like special snowflakes.

Edited by Aaira

More damage than bows, less atk speed, maybe innate punch trough, it's relatively unique.

I don't see why they should be treated like special snowflakes.

Because both are novelties, very, very different weapon types.

It wold be shame to just lump them together.

Why do we complain of boredom so often? It's because despite having so many weapon types most of them ar virtually reskins.

Playing the same content in different ways can alleviate a lot of that.

We need more variety. When Tonkor came, it was like a breath of fresh air.

Something NEW!

But say we make something that's a one shot wonder and take it to high levels when it can't one-shot anymore.

Would you bring it? NO. Because it would be the same as lugging a piece of metal on your back around.

Why NOT give them unique utility? make them effective for strategic play to make kills easier when it's not enough to one-shot anymore? 

Controlling the mob in Warframe is a big thing. That's especially important for a weapon that can take only 1 shot at a time.

Also, why don't we make snipers in Warframe different from the stereotype?

It's warframe after all, not CoD!

Because both are novelties, very, very different weapon types.

It wold be shame to just lump them together.

Why do we complain of boredom so often? It's because despite having so many weapon types most of them ar virtually reskins.

Playing the same content in different ways can alleviate a lot of that.

We need more variety. When Tonkor came, it was like a breath of fresh air.

Something NEW!

But say we make something that's a one shot wonder and take it to high levels when it can't one-shot anymore.

Would you bring it? NO. Because it would be the same as lugging a piece of metal on your back around.

Why NOT give them unique utility? make them effective for strategic play to make kills easier when it's not enough to one-shot anymore? 

Controlling the mob in Warframe is a big thing. That's especially important for a weapon that can take only 1 shot at a time.

Also, why don't we make snipers in Warframe different from the stereotype?

It's warframe after all, not CoD!

Because a Sniper rifle should function the same way across all mediums of its use. I could understand if it was a weapon we currently don't have in real life, but for the SR case, it has a very real role here in our current time. People expect it to function that way too in all its media forms. Just make it a one hit wonder in all the levels like it should be; people won't have a problem with it anymore.

Because a Sniper rifle should function the same way across all mediums of its use. I could understand if it was a weapon we currently don't have in real life, but for the SR case, it has a very real role here in our current time. People expect it to function that way too in all its media forms. Just make it a one hit wonder in all the levels like it should be; people won't have a problem with it anymore.

You don't understand.

Warframe throws mobs at you.

You need something to back that one-hit wonder up.

No-one is saying they shouldn't be one-hot wonders! What we are discussing here is adding something unique here to complement that.

You don't understand.

Warframe throws mobs at you.

You need something to back that one-hit wonder up.

No-one is saying they shouldn't be one-hot wonders! What we are discussing here is adding something unique here to complement that.

The only unique thing then should be a ricocheting bullet. No need for grappling hooks or any useless thing of that nature. Just bouncing bullets or bullets that explode.

The only unique thing then should be a ricocheting bullet. No need for grappling hooks or any useless thing of that nature. Just bouncing bullets or bullets that explode.

Um OK.

So firestorm ogris pellets with punchthrough.

Um.

Extra mobility is useless?

Yes to all of this, OP.

I love my Tonkor because if the unique, fun mechanics it has.

Adding unique mechanics to snipers such as the Vectis (which I have yet to complete, though it's pretty nice) would make me love and likely use sniper rifles even more.

Edited by ArcariusAero

Yes to all of this, OP.

I love my Tonkor because if the unique, fun mechanics it has.

Adding unique mechanics to snipers such as the Vectis (which I have yet to complete, though it's pretty nice) would make me love and likely use sniper rifles even more.

I agree!

That our guns can do more things besides damaging can only open up more playstyles.

I agree!

That our guns can do more things besides damaging can only open up more playstyles.

It's the main reason why I like the newer guns with their unique mechanics such as the alt-fires sending out hooks, things like that.

Because they're fun.