Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo Rework Suggestions

(PSN)OniWarrior

Disclaimer

There will be no tl;dr.

Limbo is without a doubt one of my favourite 'Frames. I think his concept is fantastic, with the potential to be an incredible support 'Frame whilst aslo being an efficient killing machine by using the Rift Plane to divide and conquer his enemies. Unfortunatly DE, in their attempts to ensure he is balanced, have made some design decisions that have prevented him from achieving that potential.

At higher levels Limbo's squishy nature tends to make using Cataclysm, his only means of splitting up enemy forces on a large scale, something of a death sencence for himself. The lack of any damage mitiagtion skills or crowd control makes pulling 10-20 hard hitting nasties into the rift a bad idea most of the time.

But his true problems lie in his effectivness as a support 'Frame. With his only buff skill being a self buff, that only works while both he and his enemies are in the rift, it doesn't greatly benefit his teammates. Coupled with players being unable to pick up essential items like orbs and ammo while in the rift, it not only gives your team no desire to fight within the rift, but can actually be detrimental to them.

My following ideas for a rework are more along the lines of Frost's rework, improving upon his current skill set rather than completly re-designing him. This is because I like the idea behind his abilities and can see great potential in them.

Passives

-Limbo's base armour increased by 100 while in the rift
-casting cost of Banish reduced to 20 while in the rift

Banish

No change to Banish.

Banish Augment: Exile

-creates a small vortex on Banished target's location
-all enemies in 2/2.5/3/3.5m of the votex are knocked down and pulled into the rift
-vortex lasts for 1/2/3/4 seconds
-only initial target takes damage from Banish

I like the way Banish works, giving precise control over which enemies you face on a one on one basis, allowing Limbo to support a team by eliminating high priority targets. However, I understand that many wish that it could put multiple targets into the rift at once and I believe that this is best achieved through an augment.

Rift Walk

no change to Rift Walk

Rift Walk Augment: Extended Strides

-kills with finnisher damage extend the duration of Rift Walk

Again, Rift Walk is a skill I find to be excellent as is. Coming up with a good idea for an augment for this ability was difficult. Although it is very similar to the current Cataclysm augment, I felt that a duration extension mod would be the best option for rift walk, as it helps to facilitate the high threat assassin aspect of Limbo's playstyle. By having the extension based off of finnisher kills it would synergise wall with Banish, which knocks down the target, leaving them prone to a ground finnisher.

Rift Surge

-Rift Surge damage mulitplier reduced to x1.5 or x2
-Rift Surge is now a rift wide enemy de-buff instead of a Limbo only buff
-Rift Torrent effect integrated into Rift Surge giving Limbo 5% extra damage for each enemy in the rift
-Rift Surge grants Limbo a small increase to casting speed when not in the rift

Rift Surge Augment: Rift Storm

-void energy clouds the rift reducing enemy target acquisition range to 45/40/35/30m
-target acquisition range scales inversly with power range mods (maximum reduction capped at 12m)

By changing Rift surge to a riftwide enemy de-buff it gives Limbo some much needed team support, while also making it desirable for your team to fight alongside you in the rift. The reduction in damage multipier is needed to balance the fact that now upto four players can take advantage of the damage amp. The skill has no range because it affects the Rift Plane, which I think is balanced by the fact that Limbo must first put enemies into the rift using skills that already have their own range limitations. I added the casting speed buff for when Limbo is not in the rift because at the moment Rift Surge is the only skill that does nothing with out the use, and thus additional energy cost, of his other skills. I integrated the current augment into the skill because Limbo is supposed to be the master of the rift, and this would be a small compensation for his loss of damage output due to the suggested changes to the damage multiplier.

The idea for the augment was to give Limbo some cc to imrove his survivability. As the skill would now be a riftwide effect a standard range based, or line of sight limitation wouldn't really work.

Cataclysm

-all items within Cataclysm can now be picked up by all players
-size reduction now occurs every 5 seconds instead of a gradually decreasing all the time
-on cast, collapse and every time Cataclysm shrinks a shockwave is released staggering all enemies within
-time between size reductions scales with power duration mods ensuring there are only ever 4/5/6/7 shockwaves
-power range mods now only effect the maximum size of Cataclysm
-damage is now calculated as 500 blast on cast then (350 blast x modifier) on collapse
-modifier is calculated as max range/current range

Cataclysm Augments:

Cataclysmic Continuum

-for every 5 seconds added (scaling with power duration) the next time Cataclysm would shrink only the shockwave is produced, no shrinking occurs

Cataclysmic Containment

-enemies that enter Cataclysm can no longer leave
-shockwaves are no longer released when Cataclysm shrinks
-enemies near the edge of Cataclysm are staggered and pushed toward the center if hit by the edge of the cataclysm when it shrinks
-enemies hit by the edge of Cataclysm when it shrinks take 300 impact damage (just as if they had passed through the rift)

Cataclysm is where I have clearly suggested the biggest changes. Most importantly is the ability to pick things up while in the rift. This is probably the most requested change from the community, and understandably so, as it is the biggest factor in breaking his role as support 'Frame. This change combined with the cange to Rift Surge (also frequently requested by the community) would make Limbo an asset to pretty much any team. the other changes that i suggested are to give Limbo and his team a little more survivability when fighting within Cataclysm, but also provide a greater variety in builds.

The suggestion for Cataclysmic Containment is one that I have seen in other posts, but I think that it is something better introduced as an augment. The change that I suggested to the way the second instance of damage is calculated is to give a little more purpose to Cataclysm's shrinking effect, as the globe gets smaller it hits less enemies, but does more damage. Cataclysmic Containment would then be a good way of getting the most out of Cataclysm's ever decreasing size by ensuring that nothing can escape the blast.

Synergy Combo

-casting Banish at an active Cataclysm instanly collapses the Cataclysm
-everyone inside the Cataclysm at the time (both friend and foe) are Banished
-enemies take damage based on the damage that Banish would do
-heavy units and eximus units would be staggered, but all other enemies would suffer a knockdown

Until recently the only Warframe that could combine it's powers for an additional effect was Loki. By using Switch Teleport on his Decoy, he effectivly has the ability to relocate himself anywhere he pleases at any time. With Frost's rework DE showed that they are willing to look allowing other powers to combo, by allowing you to shatter your own Snow Globes by casting Freeze at them, knocking down any enemies currently inside. To me, Banish and Cataclysm look like perfect candidates to have a similar combo effect.

Thank you for reading this fairly long post. I hope that at least some of my suggestions seem worth while to others, and that I have done an good job of describing what I have invisioned.

Edit:

Below are some additional  good suggestions made in some of the replies below.

Passivies

courtesy of Kristofelus

-minor health regeneration while in the rift

courtesy of Bobtm

-increase to velocity of parkour manoeuvres while in the rift

Banish

courtesy of Unholyrequiem

-Banish gains a charge function

-quick cast Bannishes a single target

-charge cast Banishes all enemies in a small aoe around the target

courtesy of oracle-ryuu

-added combo effect. recasting within 2 seconds chains Banish to nearby enemies

Alternate Abilities

courtesy of Machayna Void Window/ Void Tear

-creates a window/ tear through which Limbo and his allies can pass into the rift
-window/ tear would allow players to fire through it to hit targets on the other plane of existance N.B. would allow enemies to do like wise
-Banish would be changed to be usable only against enemies

Edited by (PS4)OniWarrior

This the first Limbo suggestion I read that actually isn't complaining about "omg mobile Limbo sucks because he doesn't tank like Valkyr and doesn't insta nuke everything like a bastard child of Mesa and Saryn"

You actually provided good feedback of improvement while at the same time keeping his core abilities unchanged and balanced.

Thank you, have a cookie.

EDIT: Corrected "mobile" to Limbo. Ironically, I was on my phone when making this post initially.

Edited by Hawk_of_the_Reborn

Limbo is possibly my most played frame.  He requires you to be very active in your play and is amazing when you know how to use him.  I agree with alot of what you're saying.  He doesn't need a HUGE overhaul change.  Just some tweaks.  The biggest gripe that people have about playing with limbo is the people who troll and the not being able to pick up loot.  

On the trolling piece I find that I am quite often accidentally sending people to the void.  For some reason (and I notice this way more as a limbo player) people have a tendency to run right in front of you when you're trying to banish something.  So of course that banishes them and gets you labeled as a troll.  I have mentioned in another post that I think that the first ability be changed to be specific to an enemy target banish.  That way you can't accidentally send an ally to the rift while trying to take out an enemy.  Then you change his second ability to be for allies only.  I do see that this could get tricky if you need to enter the rift but your team mates are all around you.  You may accidentally put them in the rift instead of yourself so I thought of another option. Make his third passive (I agree with your debuff idea but just make it a passive) and he gets a new skill called void window or void tear.  Basically this would act as a toggle for walking in and out of the rift in a similar design to volt's shield.  that way his 1st is JUST for enemies, his second is JUST for you and the third is a way to get your team to the void.  In addition this skill can be used to shoot through to the "other side" if you are shooting through the window and only bullets coming through that window will hit you or your team (so long as the enemy isn't in the rift with you.

The cataclysm changes sound good although I'm thinking that some inherent CC on entering the void would help.  Biggest issue I have with cataclysm is that when I try to pull in a group of enemies to take them all out at once I get destroyed because they are already shooting at me in the rift.  An upgrade of 100 armor is decent but i think it would have to be more to survive a group firing at you like that with no other form of CC.  Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying though.  

Anyway great suggestions. Well thought out.

I like your augment idea for banish.

But changes for rift surge dont change much. I would rather see it marge with rift walk, just like equinox metamorphosis. And give him new skill.

Personal shield or some sort CC.

Also armor is useless for limbo (and it's usless in general) better give him hp/energy regenartion while in rift so you can stack it with either rejuvenation or energy syphon. 

It Would benefit players greatly, nukers will be happy and limbo will have more than 2hp.

Yet another player who truly gets Limbo, practically awesome suggestions across the board.  In my opinion at least.

Overall the only thing that seems "off" is one half of the passive, granting an armor bonus to Limbo whilst in the rift.  Armor at that value is practically irrelevant really, not worth modding for yet not making enough of a difference to one's survivability to matter.  Personally speaking I'd rather see something like a parkour boost (increasing the velocity of all parkour maneuvers) on the rift side of things or some other more mobility oriented gain.  But even so it wouldn't be terrible to leave it as the armor gain, since passives are generally supposed to be small gains.

It's nice to see Limbo threads occasionally and not absolutely hate 90% of what's being suggested.

Wow, surprisingly I actually like most of these changes... Except maybe rift-surge because I love that ability, but I wouldn't hate this alternative you proposed. I am speaking as a Limbo player who mostly get's hate from players I play with, so no I won't support you guys. These changes would most likely mitigate the hate. I also like the fact that you didn't change Banish, having a single-target banish ability is invaluable in so many situations. Later game, more targets poses more risk. 

But I do agree with the post above me on the Passive changes... 100 Armor addition isn't going to do much. Limbo is already a pretty nimble frame, so giving him a mobility boost seems like a better defensive utility to him than a simple second layer of Armor that's probably not going to do anything for him in the long run. Armor doesn't really start mattering before you exceed the 500's, and that's only if you use it in tandem with health-mods. 

I'd like to see this happen... Where do I sign up? 

Really good ideas which get my 100% support for this whole thread.I'm not sure why the pretty negative post here is getting the hot topic status whilst this is clearly where the positive feedback is.

My take on Limbo is simple, combined with my playstyle often being clumsy and the way his abilities can sometimes completely backfire means i don't use him when i otherwise would love to.With these kind of changes i would play as him more and it's that simple really.

Limbo wasn't much of a support frame in the first place. Where Limbo excells others surpass easily. From my standpoint Limbo's skills are literally the most clumsy design at the moment. Where Limbo's skillset didn't really fit together like a nice jigsaw puzzle in Warframe's. In terms of effectiveness Atlas was the worse when he was released but when you actually played him prior to his buff you would see that his skillset made sense and was generally useful all round for all kinds of situations. All that's changed since that buff is he has become a power house.  Many insisted he was a sniper frame to take out key targets but its a hoard game where such tactics are inneffective and cataclysm generally had flaws.

However these changes provide much of the utility that Limbo required as both a solo and a support. Further more when I originally made a suggestion that banish would form a small blast aoe upon hit with a target someone suggested that Banish would be a chargeable skill, when fully charged released as an AOE blast where as instant fire would banish singular targets.  Just some ideas. :)

Edited by Unholyrequiem

Thank you for the positive feedback. I will edit the op to include the great ideas that you guys have suggested.

@Machayna

I think your idea for Void Window/ Void Tear would actually be better as a replacement for Rift Walk, as it would kind of make Rift Walk Redundant. If the tear had a duration and anyone passing through it was placed in the rift for the remaining duration of the tear, you could have it that recasting the ability would close the tear, allowing players to stay in the rift until the original duration ends. Non Limbo players could, of course, still use the current roll-escape mechanic to then leave the rift if they wanted to.

As for Cataclysm, the first stagger proc would occur at the instant the Cataclysm is formed. This would then prevent enemies from insta-killing you before you could recover from the casting animation. I hope the clears up what I was trying to say.

@Unholyrequeim

Although a charge mechanic for Banish sounds intriguing, I'm not sure what you are describing. Do you mean that enemies near the Banish target suffer a blast proc, or do you mean that Banish would gain a small aoe around that the target that would also Banish nearby enemies?

@Unholyrequeim

Although a charge mechanic for Banish sounds intriguing, I'm not sure what you are describing. Do you mean that enemies near the Banish target suffer a blast proc, or do you mean that Banish would gain a small aoe around that the target that would also Banish nearby enemies?

By charging it, it would gain a small AOE that affects nearby enemies. 

@Machayna

I think your idea for Void Window/ Void Tear would actually be better as a replacement for Rift Walk, as it would kind of make Rift Walk Redundant. If the tear had a duration and anyone passing through it was placed in the rift for the remaining duration of the tear, you could have it that recasting the ability would close the tear, allowing players to stay in the rift until the original duration ends. Non Limbo players could, of course, still use the current roll-escape mechanic to then leave the rift if they wanted to.

Not redundant really no.  Limbo imo needs instant access to the rift for damage mitigation.  Having to put up the windows and then walk through it in some situations would take too long.  You'd be dead before you got in.  Not to mention if they allow the mechanic to fire THROUGH that window into the respective other plane it would take even longer to get out of harms way.  The intent of that third would be to allow teammates to move in and out of the rift at will but as well have a way for your team to fire out of or into the rift while still having some protection (where bullets can only hit you if they are coming at you straight through that window meaning you would have protection from the sides and the back).

So 

-Rift surge becomes passive and works as you suggest.  A debuff to enemies.  

-Enemies entering the rift through whatever method always suffer the knockdown as seen on banish unless they are immune to knockdown.  The shock of entering the rift is too much for most of them but not the tenno.

-Items that are picked up before entering or exiting the rift remain with the player such as datamasses and power cells.

-To make this fair and consistent Limbo isn't able to interact with items that aren't in his current dimension.

1. Banish - works as is but only works on hostiles. maybe have a mod where you can send multiple mobs in this way. This would prevent trolling whether intentional or accidental

2. Rift walk - Same as before.  It's a fast way for Limbo to get into and out of the rift.

3. Rift Tear(or window) - Opens a gate between the rift and the normal world. Enemies, players, and bullets can move through the gate.  Walking through once sends players to the rift.  Walking through again will send them back (or forward roll).  

4. Cataclysm - Works as you mentioned and with the knockdowns in place would give him some good CC and extra survivability using it on groups.  Brings all items within it's radius into the rift with it.  This includes loot, terminals, etc.

I've liked some of the other ideas people have come up with for abilities but with Limbo hit kit has always been about bringing things into and out of the void.  I think there should be other void wizards that DE creates that fill those abilities.  I think these ideas would fix some of the inconsistencies with the definition of the rift and keep the feel of Limbo as he is while adding some needed utility.

Edited by Machayna

@Machayna

I am hesitant to suggest making Rift Surge into one of Limbo's passives because I think that the only way that DE would consider doing so is if the damage buff remained effective only on Limbo and had the damage multiplier reduced. It would be a passive after alll, which are for the benifit of the 'frame they belong to. The other couple of issues Iwould have with this is that, if it was still effective for the whole team it would only be in effect while Limbo is in the rift, rather than somthing that can be activated. AS a passsive it also loses any scope for modding or gaining additional effects though augments. With the rest of Limbo's kit being focused on moving things from one dimension to the other, I think he needs one skill that gives the team a boost while fighting in the rift.

I really like your idea for Rift Tear, but what if it could perform the escape funtion that Rift Walk currently provides? I'm thinking

-on cast Limbo enters the rift as he does with Rift Walk

-the tear is created in Limbo's wake, taking 2 seconds to stabalise before anything else can come through.

This would allow Limbo to make a statigic shift to the Rift Plane and by him enough time to either close the tear befor it can full form or repossition himself to avoid incoming gunfire.

@Machayna

I am hesitant to suggest making Rift Surge into one of Limbo's passives because I think that the only way that DE would consider doing so is if the damage buff remained effective only on Limbo and had the damage multiplier reduced. It would be a passive after alll, which are for the benifit of the 'frame they belong to. The other couple of issues Iwould have with this is that, if it was still effective for the whole team it would only be in effect while Limbo is in the rift, rather than somthing that can be activated. AS a passsive it also loses any scope for modding or gaining additional effects though augments. With the rest of Limbo's kit being focused on moving things from one dimension to the other, I think he needs one skill that gives the team a boost while fighting in the rift.

I really like your idea for Rift Tear, but what if it could perform the escape funtion that Rift Walk currently provides? I'm thinking

-on cast Limbo enters the rift as he does with Rift Walk

-the tear is created in Limbo's wake, taking 2 seconds to stabalise before anything else can come through.

I can see your first point there but I think the way you mentioned with the rift tear opening after using rift walk "automatically" might end up feeling clunky with too many things happening on his entering the rift.  If you wanted to start pulling over single targets instead of having that door open you would then need to have a way to close it or things could just start coming through.  Limbo being the void strategist that he is this seems too uncontrolled to me but I definitely get what you're saying.  Since this is an enemy debuff on entering the rift though I don't see why you couldn't add that debuff stat to all his skills that I've mentioned.  So cataclysm, banish, and rift tear would have the enemy debuff stat effected by power strength as a "shock of entering the void stat" for a period of time.  I'm not sure.  I'll have to give it some thought.  But I do think that he could use the utility of being able to shoot out of the rift in strategic places.  I thought about combining one and two but that would get way too clunky imo.  

I guess ultimately if rift tear was fast enough like an instant cast where you could cast while running and it happened right in front of him that might take care of the issue of getting to the rift as most of the time you're running around anyway.  That would free up that 3 for that active ability.  Then you could just close that window immediately upon entering if you needed a quick escape.

This is pretty much spot on with what Limbo players want/need as well as making him more friendly for teams.

Cataclysm in my opinionvery important ability for him but in its current state is too gimped for him to make use of it. Providing that periodic cc gives Limbo that oppurtunity to counter attack which he desperatley needs limbo is built around making use of his rift sureg but without an oppurtunity to use his rift surge might as well be a weaker buff than what it actaully is.

I hope De considers this as this would greatly solve his overdependency on Banish and his team mates to hold his hand for him when Limbo players actually want to use his ultimate without almost immediately dying and having to run away excessively. I like his mobility but it gets to a point where having to runa way and hide behind cover constantly becomes problematic. Good frame I love  but too gimped to make full use of his abilites without going to extremes andeven I get fed up with it some times.

After watching the latest devstream I don't see Limbo getting any love for a while.  =(

They have too many other frames they want to rework.  Sounds like they will eventually get to him.  By that time I hope this thread isn't lost.  Some really good suggestions in here.

After watching the latest devstream I don't see Limbo getting any love for a while.  =(

They have too many other frames they want to rework.  Sounds like they will eventually get to him.  By that time I hope this thread isn't lost.  Some really good suggestions in here.

I feel you completely, this are the best suggestions ive seen so far, and ive been on the look out for limbo since he came from the rift.

Too bad he seems to get even less love than chroma.

I'm having a hard time finding it, but one of my favorite suggestions towards improving Limbo was to actually just add rift walk and rift surge together and give him

a brand new 3, something more oriented towards a frame of his possibilites, but that isn't limited to the time in rift walk or in the shrinking sphere of cataclysm. 

My personal favorite fix would be to have Banish have some aspect of AoE, as you and other people have stated as well, the size being relative to level, with a minor decrease in damage (perhaps) to keep the slight balance of suddenly being able to bomb an entire infested squadron with an early ability.  Alongside this, I would heavily desire combining 2 and 3 to one ability.  Limbo has his own realm to play around in, that belongs solely to him, while I don't think he should be all powerful, he should definitely have more options. 

I'm actually loving people's concept of his alternate ability being to open up a sort of door in space, a-la Nova's warp, and I think that (combined with a huge buff to being able to pick up stuff inside the rift) would round him out much better.

I like the Void Tear idea and hope yu could elaborate on that instead.

Limbo's current build feels rushed for deadlines would like DE to seriously look at him again.

My personal idea for Void Tear is to replace Cataclysm with it, and allow Limbo to rip a corridor into the Rift, all enemies and allies standing inside it or entering the corridor will enter the Rift, and be subjected to all Rift related effects, buffs and debuffs. 
Additionally, the corridor slowly collapses on itself and will deal damage similar to current Cataclysm would, only difference is that the enemies trapped in the Tear are unable to leave it, effectively making an excellent choke point ability.

Once again, thanks for all of the positive feedback guys :)

To be fair I can kind of see their motivations for reworking other Warframes first. The game has gone through many changes and additions since it's launch, so I can see why they would be focused on updating some of the older 'Frames to fit in with those canges and the ones that they intend to make in the not to distant future.

That said Limbo cerainly feels like he has been forgotten about by DE. While other newer 'Frames have had fixes, tweaks and buffs post release, all Limbo has really had is some anti-trolling tweaks. I love Limbo and think that he has some really great potential, so let's hope DE don't take too long before giving him some much needed love.

I know that it has been suggested in the past that Rift Walk and Rift Surge could be combined into a single skill, and believe me I considered it when I was coming up with these suggestions. Ultimatley I decided against it for a couple of reasons. Probably the most important is the energy cost involved. At 15 energy, Rift Walk is Limbo's best defensive measure, allowing him to escape situations that would otherwise mean certain death even when energy might be an issue (think parasitic/ energy leech eximus units). The addition of a damage boosting effect, be it the current self buff, team buff or enemy debuff, would have to come with an increase in energy cost, likely 50 energy cost (Rift Surge's cost) or 65 energy cost (combined cost of Rift Walk and Rift Surge).

Another reason that I decided against the merger of these skills is that I wanted to make Rift Surge into something that the entire team could benefit from, and thus make fighting in the rift something desirable for the non-Limbo olayers in the team. By combining the two skills you would make the damage bonus the team gets wholly dependant on Limbo staying in the rift, which may not always be what the Limbo player wants or needs to do. While there would be no problems for the Limbo player, everytime they enter the rift, they gain a damage buff, for the rest of the team it could prove to be to unpredictable to be worth considering as valid tactical aid. By having Limbo cast  a debuff independantly of his other skills, it provides the team with a support skill that they can benefit from regardless of whatever othe actions the Limbo players decides to make.

Sorry if my reply got a little long winded there.

I think a charge mechanic aplied to his first skill would work quite well. Afterall if limbo has something, its time to cast. He can go into rift walk, check out which group he wishes to banish, press 1 for say... 2 seconds, and voila, banish on a small area, maybe just a little smaller than sleep from equinox. A light tap would still banish a single enemy. Cost wise i thing it should stay the same. I mean, it forces you to use 2 precious seconds to cast an alternative function.

It should not be an augment though, but a part of it from the start, just a mean for limbo to get more mobs to his realm.

DE has made it quite obvious he is not a special target remover only, i mean, in the end his 3 nd 4 augmens are all about mooore mobs being INSIDE the rift.

I'm having a hard time finding it, but one of my favorite suggestions towards improving Limbo was to actually just add rift walk and rift surge together and give him

a brand new 3, something more oriented towards a frame of his possibilites, but that isn't limited to the time in rift walk or in the shrinking sphere of cataclysm. 

You're saying combining them so that it gives you X amount on activation for X period of time?  I guess I don't really see that as being different than making rift surge a passive which is one thing I suggested to open up that third ability.  Except as a passive it would just be on indefinitely.  So I'm okay with it.  Oniwarrior mentioned that he wants it to be something the entire team can benefit from.  I can get behind that.  But that doesn't mean it has to be an active skill.  Basically you make it so the damage buff applies only if limbo is in the rift with his allies and you attach the damage boost to all methods that allow travel into and out of the rift so that it can be modded for.