FPS Stuttering

Toastman25

System Specs

• CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard: ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 970
  • Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB

Problem

Warframe stutters about every 3 second and then continues as though nothing happened 

I have tried every solution I could find the forums to fix this and nothing has worked I've try uninstalling and reinstalling the game, optimizing and verifying the download cache, downgrading my graphics drivers, changing graphic card settings, turning off steam overlay, updating the BIOS, all these thing at best temporary fix the problem but it always comes back the next day. 

When I look at task manager the GPU load spikes up and down almost in tune with the stuttering 

Edit: After looking though the thread and rereading the other threads that have the same issue I've noticed common thing between them. Their all the same series of motherboard, the ROG Strix. I've also noticed the same RAM (G.Skill TridentZ) being used but I can't be sure some of the people who posted in those threads posted vague system specs        

Edited by Toastman25
Found new information

Same Problem here...

every three to four seconds the game stutters no matter where I am or what im doing.

The stuttering even occurs at the login screen.

I also tried most of the suggested solutions but nothing seems to work.

Im running a i7 8700k on an Asus ROG Strix Board with a 1080ti

Oh man how I've tried to troubleshoot this. I MAY have found a solution for myself, see the bottom of the comment.

The stuttering does not show up as FPS drops at all (as stuttering does not mean that) and on my system everything seems to be running as normal according to MSI Afterburner. No random usage spikes on anything and clocks stay stable on all hardware. FPS is constantly above 100, easily, and yet the stuttering can happen anywhere, even when in the orbiter.

System:

• CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.5GHz
  • GPU: GTX 980
  • RAM: 16GB
  • 2 monitors (primary "gaming" 144hz 1080p, secondary "normal" 60hz 1440p)
  • Windows 10, version 1803, build 17134.228

What I've tried:

1. Tinkered with the game settings, including VSync, max framerate, fullscreen vs borderless windowed and nearly all graphics quality settings. I've only managed to get a higher FPS or lower system load, but still had stuttering
  2. Updated graphics drivers, although I was only behind 1-2 versions. No effect on stuttering
  3. Disabled hardware acceleration in Discord & Chrome, as I usually have them both running in my second monitor. No effect on stuttering
  4. Disabled Discord overlay. No effect on stuttering
  5. Setup something called EmptyStandbyList every 15min, since I noticed a huge amount of standby memory being used (basically, after a long system up-time, all the "free" memory was used by standby memory). You can read more about it here. At first, it seemed to help, but I guess it was placebo
  6. Something else that I might have forgotten

Possible solution(s):

1. Disabled Steam overlay (I noticed you had already tried this), since I have a second monitor I don't really need it
  2. Changed "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" in NVIDIA Control Panel

I'm still testing, so I don't know which one actually helped (or if they helped at all), but it seems to lean towards the NVIDIA Control Panel setting. Which seems odd to me, since I have not seen any actual effect when changing that setting for any game, for years, which is why I gave up on setting that.

Sorry for the long comment, but I hate comments that don't give any context. Here's hoping I don't come back with a "nope, it's still stuttering" comment...

Too bad.

I guess I've managed to minimize the issue to a point where I don't notice it all the time, but there's still this weird feeling at the back of my head while playing that everything isn't smooth all of the time.

This truly is an odd issue and wonder how DE have not noticed it themselves. Or do they only play on consoles/with controllers/with low refresh rate monitors? I wonder if this is a noticeable issue only when using a +120hz monitor. Call me spoiled, but when gaming on PC, 120hz is the minimum and I thought DE are the type of developers that are aware of that...

To the OP's edit: I don't have that motherboard (I have MSI) or RAM (HyperX), so I don't think it's that.

I've sent a ticket to DE on this and while troubleshooting even more, here's what I've come to notice (also sent the same as a comment to my ticket):

I'm now at a point where I can 100% reproduce the issue.

Since I have 2 monitors, I often have a lot of stuff open in my secondary monitor. I always have at least Steam and Discord open. Sometimes I have either Spotify or Chrome (for YouTube) open as well, if I want to listen to some other music or podcast etc.

So, I can "activate" the stuttering when I have a YouTube (I suppose the platform does not matter) video playing. Especially when the quality is high enough, let's say 720p 60fps. 480p does not seem to cause stuttering, or it's not noticeable enough. More importantly, the game needs to be running in Borderless Fullscreen mode, in Fullscreen I don't see any stuttering. Either way, I don't see any effect on FPS, so it must be something related to frame-timing. Is this a Windows 10 issue?

So I guess if I want to keep devouring other media while playing, I have to make sure it's in lower quality or make the game Fullscreen. The thing is, it makes alt-tabbing a pain and I can't just pause the game and move my mouse over to the other monitor.

So, my questions to you guys are:
Do you have something else playing in the background or other monitor in Chrome while playing? If so, try lowering the quality if it's possible.
Also, are you playing in Borderless Fullscreen mode? Try Fullscreen and see if the problem goes away. I know, it seems obvious, but even I had not tried that.

32 minutes ago, Toastman25 said:

Yes, I often have chrome and discord open in the background but run warframe in full screen. I tried running warframe after reading your reply with nothing in the background but task manager to monitor resource usage and the problem is still there   

I'm now starting to wonder if we are even talking about a same kind of "stuttering". Only because mine is so reproduceable and I now know how to avoid it.

The type of stuttering I'm talking about is propably more accurately called frame-skipping (or something). What happens, is that even though the game engine is reporting to the games own FPS counter (and NVIDIA ShadowPlay) that the current FPS is 120 (for example), it feels more like 60. In other words, it's either the same as my secondary monitors refresh rate OR just plainly half of what the game is currently outputting. And it's stable, not skipping all over the place. If I've deciphered correclty what the web has to say about this, it's all thanks to Windows 10 (and propably the Creators Update to be specific).

Is this what is happening to you as well, or is the stuttering more like a hitch/skip every few seconds for example? Because damn, that's be even more annoying since there's really no way to compensate because of how random it usually is.

Edited by kiksunator
my engrish

Used to play wf without any issues. Then I enabled steam overlay fps counter for conan exiles, now warframe gets random freezes when selecting different weapons and drops fps in the open world.

Turning steam stuff off fixed my issue and my wf is back to being smooth again.

Ty kiksunator!

Edited by KiteoHatto

I'm having the same problem with stuttering every 3 seconds..have tried everything in the forum and more to no avail. 

Specs.....

Gtx 1080ti

64GB Gskill  Trident Z

Asus Maximus Formula IX

Boot.. Samsung 960 Evo 256GB M.2

Steam is on a Samsung 500GB Evo 960 M.2 NvME 

Everything on 2 custom water loops..

I am experiencing the same performance problem; Every 3 seconds there is a short freeze.

System specs:

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134)
  • Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @4.00 GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0 GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
  • System Memory: 16384 MB
  • Video Memory: 6097 MB
  • Shared Memory: 8161 MB
  • Primary Display: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (144 Hz)
  • Secondary Display: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60 Hz)
  • DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Additional notes:

• All drivers are up to date.
  • Windows detects no hardware issues.
  • I run Warframe in borderless-windowed mode, fullscreen seems to make no difference.
  • Steam overlay is enabled.
  • Most graphics settings are enabled and set to high.
  • V-sync is disabled, dynamic resolution is disabled, anisotropic filtering at 4x, trilinear filtering at default, anti-aliasing at FXAA (low).
  • Worth noting that I had Warframe open while writing this post and encountered a BSOD with the error: "BAD_POOL_HEADER." Unknown if the BSOD is related, though oddly suspicious timing.
  • The problem does not seem to occur every time I run Warframe after restarting my PC; I am not sure if I can reliably reproduce it every time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the stuttering issues as well where every 3 seconds or so it kind skips a beat. Doesn't immediately start after a fresh reboot of the system but it shows up after a time of playing. The Frame Rate stays solid BUT the "TIME" (that you see when you enable the FPS counter in warframe) jumps each stutter, increasing more and more as the session goes.

Two systems I can reproduce this on:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
  • 16GB 3200 DDR4 memory Trident Z RGB
  • Asus ROG Strix x470-f Motherboard
  • Asus Rog Strix GTX1080
  • Windows 10 Pro (1803)
  • Nvidia Drivers 399.07, 398.82, 388.59, 385.69
  • Intel SSD

• Intel i7 8700k
  • 16GB 3200 DDR4 memory Trident Z RGB
  • Asus ROG Strix z370-f Motherboard
  • Asus Rog Strix GTX1080
  • Windows 10 Pro (1803)
  • Nvidia Drivers 399.07, 398.82, 388.59, 385.69, 411.70
  • Intel SSD for OS, Samsung 850 Evo SSD for Steam/Warframe

No other games show the issue. I can immediately go play something else when Warframe becomes unplayable.

My related thread btw:

Edited by UlgrimUnpleasant
Added ssd and driver info. Corrected terms for the fps counter in game.

Quick suggestion/possible cause.

Have you turned off the built in capture by xbox app, it has an overlay (think it's called called game dvr in settings app now) if you're using windows 10.  IIRC I had small stuttering issue after a complete reinstall of the OS etc and turning off the overlay helped. 

The geforce experience might be another possible cause too, that had caused me a few issues prior to the reinstall too, so I'd maybe uninstall that too.

Edited by LSG501

Yeah I'd been running without Geforce Experience for awhile (completely uninstalled). Yesterday I put nvidia driver 411.70 on and just went default install this time putting everything on. Had stuttering before, had stuttering after. In the past though (last year) geforce experience was awful for Warframe and I had the overlay off all the time. Highly encourage anyone having troubles to disable at least the overlay for it.

IMPORTANT STUFF HERE:

I've made progress but I haven't done a long play session yet, the immediate improvement is startling though. If anyone wants to join me feel free because my Warframe hasn't been this smooth in forever. It's a shotgun approach so any of these things could be the key:

• Disable Steam Overlay for Warframe (assuming you use steam)
  • Disable Geforce Experience Overlay
  • UNINSTALL AI SUITE ENTIRELY
  • Fully close any CPU-Z, GPU-Z, SmartFan, anything at all that pulls temperature/rpm metrics

If I do all that Warframe (again this is without extended play testing) isn't missing a beat. The "Time" metric (visible when you turn on the FPS counter in Warframe's options) is sitting at 7.32 and barely budging up maybe 0.30.

IF i open up SmartFan or CPU-Z the TIME field in-game spikes every few seconds, only up 1ms, but the game gets noticeably more choppy/stuttery.

Now part of my issue however is Warframe would get progressively worse and worse the longer the session, will let everyone know how that goes with these changes.

Edited by UlgrimUnpleasant
Corrected section on smartfan/cpu-z

Been having the same issue, mainly on liset, the game will feel like it's loading or doing something on the side, it doesn't lower the fps but i do feel some minor stutering, probably not as intensive as the twitch clip showed above.

Specs:

Core 2 duo at 4.0 Ghz

4GB of ddr2 ram at 400 bus speed (1:1 relation with bus speed on cpu)

AMD 6850

Game on SSD

Windows 7

Almost no other processes running like external programs, when i play warframe i mostly have that application open and that's it.

Edited by KIREEK

I made progress on the issue that was plaguing me (which by the sounds of it is the same effecting you guys). Fresh install of windows with no updates and bare metal application install is rather extreme but it appears to of worked.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1002913-increased-graphical-stuttering-during-playtime-need-help-unresolved/