Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I can't seem to generate a realistic amount of Focus..

QuipSilver

Question

Hey all,

I have been trying to power level my Zenurik skills so I (using my ash prime) equipped a gunblade only (No primary and secondary equipped) and equipped a greater zenurik lens on both the Ash Prime and also the Gunblade and set off into MOT to farm like hell so I could get some affinity into it to start unlocking its abilities.

I farmed like hell for ages only attacking from stealth and picking up the focus booster when available and after like 40mins I came out and it appeared to get like, I dunno, 2-3k focus in total.

So I bought an affinity booster for plat and did the exact same again with the same conditions and, I'm pretty sure I got roughly the same again.  I must be doing something insanely wrong otherwise reaching the daily focus cap must require farming ability beyond that of (most) humans. 

Lastly, when there is focus in the focus pool, does it serve any purpose other to increase it (for example) from 32/33 to 33/33?  There is like 10k focus in the focus pool but it seems to do nothing as when I try out (but not saving changes) to draw from that amount, it just draws it from my primary tree focus instead.

Hopefully I didn't just blow 100+plat (2 greater Zenurik Lens + Affinity Booster) on a tiny increase.  Any info is welcome as, when I tried to look into this, everything seems to suggest I am doing it the same as everybody else but they seem to be  gaining an obscenely high amount of focus, and I am getting not even a fraction of the amount.

Edited by iSliQ
Me being dense and typo-ing. :<

11 answers to this question

If you don't want to capture eidolons for focus farming (i.e. brilliant and radiant eidolon shards) then you probably want to either run with sleep equinox on adaro with Naramon's 1st ability for additional affinity on melee kills or saryn in elite sanctuary onslaught.  I doubt you are getting stealth kills on MOT as they are aware of your presence and you're not able to activate the stealth kill modifier and keep it going at 500% for the length of the mission (which is the goal and point of using a sleep equinox on the Adaro, Sedna exterminate mission). I'd check out YouTube as there are a lot of good focus farming videos to show you how it is run and how you can get 70k+ focus in one mission.

27 minutes ago, iSliQ said:

Ash Prime and also the Gunblade and set off into MOT

I farmed like hell for ages only attacking from stealth

A couple pointers:

- Attacking an enemy with a melee weapon while stealthed (e.g. Ash firing a Gunblade during Smokescreen) gives bonus damage, but doesn't necessarily give bonus AFFINITY. To get the bonus affinity from stealth, you need to kill an enemy that's completely unalerted. Mot is a Survival mission. Everything's fully alerted in there.
If you want to kill unalerted enemies for glorious affinity bonuses, you'll want a high-leveled Exterminate mission-- e.g. Adaro, on Sedna.

- When killing the unalerted enemy for stealth affinity, it needs to die in one tick of damage or it will count as "alerted". Which basically means that, if you sneak up on an enemy with a silenced hitscan shotgun and oneshot it, you still won't get bonus affinity unless a single tick of damage was already sufficient to oneshot the enemy.

- There are ways of preventing unalerted enemies from becoming "alerted" upon receiving damage or hearing a noise. Popular methods include Equinox's Rest, Ivara's Sleep Arrow, and Rhino's Stomp (yes, Rhino is a deceptively amazing stealth frame).

- The Gunblades are loud. Even if you're able to stealth-kill a couple enemies with with the affinity bonus, enemies a room away are likely to hear you and set off the alarms.

Edited by SortaRandom

Ash isn't efficient for focus farming, unless you head to Sanctuary Onslaught with a full team. There you can get increasingly amounts of focus at the beginning of each round.

If you wanna go stealth focus farming, then equinox and banshee are the way to go (20k+ per orb), using high range melee weapons, like Staves, Whips and Polearms.

Survival just isn't good for focus farming. The meta is Sanctuary Onslaught, Stealth Exterminate in Adaro, Sedna (both for daily cap), and Eidolon Hunting (non-capped focus). Some people like running Hydron for focus, but it's just too slow in comparison to the mentioned options.

Also: If you're going pub, I recommend you go to Regular Sanctuary Onslaught. There are too many randoms who can't survive in Elite mode and are there just to leech from others, which will affect how much focus you get. At least in Regular Onslaught, enemies die very easily, so it's harder for randoms to screw things up.

inb4: you shouldn't rely on weapons to get kills in ESO.

Weapons still help, however small is the number of kills you get with them.

Edited by Guest

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Affinity

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Focus_2.0

Basically think of focus as a reduced rate of affinity. When you have a lens added you get a % of the affinity you generated. 

1.75, 1.25, and 2.25 actually (Depending on the lens). 

You can boost the focus by using affinity boosters and the naramon affinity spike. I do recommend doing something like onslaught as you can get a LOT of affinity that way. (Bring Saryn and Trinity. It's fun and easy lmao). Definitely be sure to keep an eye out for those little convergence orbs also. They will help a BIG amount. If you get one in onslaught you can get 20-30k easy (It's an 8X multiplier). 

The best way to get focus though that I've found is tridolon hunts. Get as many shards as you can and commit them to a specific school. You can get 1 mill focus that way easy. 

Edited by DarthBane1

for something like a Survival, Stealth XP isn't really a thing since Enemies Spawn Alerted so rather than annihilating Enemies one by one, you're looking for clearing the entire map as often as possible.

to make sure you're getting XP the way you think you are, refer to the appropriate Wiki Article that has how XP is distributed in every situation in the game. https://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Affinity

Naramon can also help, via the Node that gives your Melee 45% more XP. Naramon should always be the first or second School one picks up, because of that. 

In my experience, there are four main ways to earn focus.

The first option is to farm Eidolons at night outside Cetus for their Brilliant and Radiant Shards. Each are worth 25,000 and 40,000 focus, respectively, and you'll need Brilliant Shards to unlock the waybound traits anyway.

The second option and my personal favorite is running Elite Sanctuary Onslaught. You start each zone with a focus boost so any decent killing frame can net you tens of thousands of focus per zone. You can earn 50,000+ from a single zone before you even reach zone 8.

The other option more geared toward solo play is the high level stealth exterminate. The most popular/efficient mission for this option is Adaro on Sedna. Killing an unalerted enemy builds up a stealth multiplier but it's very finicky. You can't be detected (so no loud noises and no bumping people) and if you deal damage to someone even slightly alerted or on edge you lose the entire stealth multiplier. A good stealth or sleep frame is strongly recommended. Equinox is very popular for her Rest ability as is Ivara with Prowl + Sleep Arrows. Equipping Naramon for the melee affinity boost and a dagger with Covert Lethality gives a significant boost to this method.

The fourth option is that you could rely on Eximus Strongholds through Sorties. Eximus units naturally give much more affinity and therefore focus when killed but you're at the mercy of the selected Sortie mission. You can luck out getting an Eximus Stronghold on Adaro, this would easily max your focus cap for the day but I wouldn't bet on that luck...

On 2018-09-11 at 12:49 PM, iSliQ said:

and set off into MOT to farm like hell

I've never felt Mot is a very good farming spot. The meta is Elite Sanctuary Onslaught (since the Focus Booster scales with every wave you clear and Eximi are everywhere), followed by the shards you get from Tridolon Hunts