The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If DE introduces a "Band-aid" Mod for Self-Damage, then it'll already be too late...

Nez-Kal

Self damage is a necessary evil.  It prevents those particular weapons from being all you ever see in missions.  Some of you may be to new to remember this but tonkor used to have drastically less self damage and it was used in literally every mission by at least one player in every party.  Simple reason is aoe weapons are most effective for the levels many people play up to and after they fall off youre already outside the scope of most if not all maps on the starchart and most sorties.  A self knockdown etc instead would still not negate people just blowing up a room and just standing up in the middle of a pile of corpses.  

There aren't many self-damage weapons worth their risk outside of the star chart, which is where any other weapon will do. Tonkor was so popular not just because of the fixed self-damage, but it was also a really good crit weapon. DE took both of those aspects away from Tonkor, and we have very few self-damage weapons that can kill Sortie level enemies (Zarr, Phantasma and Lenz). Lowering self-damage on most weapons would let more people use them outside of the small solo player niche that do use them. The Lenz would one of the few I wouldn't lower self-damage as it is the easiest to control the exact moment a player released a shot and it doesn't instantly kill the player unless they were really close to where the shot hit.

Edited by (XB1)dude1286

9 hours ago, LuckyCharm said:

Self damage is a necessary evil.  It prevents those particular weapons from being all you ever see in missions.  Some of you may be to new to remember this but tonkor used to have drastically less self damage and it was used in literally every mission by at least one player in every party.  Simple reason is aoe weapons are most effective for the levels many people play up to and after they fall off youre already outside the scope of most if not all maps on the starchart and most sorties.  A self knockdown etc instead would still not negate people just blowing up a room and just standing up in the middle of a pile of corpses.  

My thoughts exactly. Although a stagger or knockdown to the player could work if combined with significant self damage as well. This way e.g. a Trinity wouldn't have time to heal up instantly. A lot can happen during that split second of vulnerability, especially if the room isn't clear of enemies.

Speaking for myself, if I found myself unable to avoid self damage for whatever reason, I would simply choose a different weapon. There are plenty of very effective room clearing weapons without any self damage whatsoever. Amprex, Ignis / Ignis Wraith, Arca Plasmor, Sobek with Acid Shells, Pyrana Prime and Telos Boltor to name a few of my favourites.

11 hours ago, LuckyCharm said:

Some of us also remember that expect for the tonkor all self-damage weapons were inferior compared to most weapons. Its high crit and no self-damage kept it relevant and after the nerf on getting self-damage and crit decrease it become irrelevant.

The tonkor is freakin died, compared to how every people on tonkor threads claimed that this weapon is everywhere, in this year i might have seen 2 tonkor users total.

This game is simply unfit for self damage. With how the current system works the devs should have already added the following long before adding in self damage:

1) Aim lasers what shows where your shot will land with 100% accuracy

2) Actually visisble aoe ranges because currently you can only guess the ranges

3) Actual range indication in the arsenal

4) Scaling risk vs reward, because it doesnt make sense that your gun will gut you out but only tickles the enemies. A simple solution would be to take the avarage health of the current waves/minutes enemy look at how much percentage damage you could deal on them at best and set the self damage to that percentage.

5) Projectile visibility upgrade, in every game i can clearly see where my bombs are expect here.

1 hour ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Some of us also remember that expect for the tonkor all self-damage weapons were inferior compared to most weapons. Its high crit and no self-damage kept it relevant and after the nerf on getting self-damage and crit decrease it become irrelevant.

The tonkor is freakin died, compared to how every people on tonkor threads claimed that this weapon is everywhere, in this year i might have seen 2 tonkor users total.

This game is simply unfit for self damage. With how the current system works the devs should have already added the following long before adding in self damage:

1) Aim lasers what shows where your shot will land with 100% accuracy

2) Actually visisble aoe ranges because currently you can only guess the ranges

3) Actual range indication in the arsenal

4) Scaling risk vs reward, because it doesnt make sense that your gun will gut you out but only tickles the enemies. A simple solution would be to take the avarage health of the current waves/minutes enemy look at how much percentage damage you could deal on them at best and set the self damage to that percentage.

5) Projectile visibility upgrade, in every game i can clearly see where my bombs are expect here.

I do agree with those changes, but they should also work on adding that transparency now rather than removing self damage. Probably also only make that info visible when aiming, since hip firing a rocket launcher etc really shouldn't be rewarded with perfect accuracy and rangefinder info imo.

3 hours ago, LuckyCharm said:

since hip firing a rocket launcher etc really shouldn't be rewarded with perfect accuracy and rangefinder info imo.

Why not? We can hipfire almost every weapon possible with perfect accuracy from the basic pistol to the death cannon, why should explosives be different?

One of the greatest enemy of snipers is the hipfire accuracy reduction they got and most people agree that its both unnecesseary, unrealistic and inconsistent in this game's world.