Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost rerework?

_GoodLuck_

Rerework. Saryn got a rerework, why Frost did not get one? The Ice Warrior deserves more.

General

• Frozen (by Avalanche and Freeze) enemies prevents using any of statuses on themselves;
  • Frost has not abilities synergy. Expect the one;

This rework must fix it all and bring new colors in gameplay.

ABILITIES

Freeze

Have you ever tried to hit an enemy with this ability? But with far distances (20m+) it is almost impossible. May be I am wrong?

• Doubled or tripled speed of projectile - tweak;
  • Projectile now leaves Icy Trace and freeze (not status) any enemy that touches it - a part of rework;
  • You will no longer be able to destroy Snow Globe by using the default version of ability - a part of rework;
  • Charged version (read below) - a part of rework.

Stats example:

• Path Width: 1 / 1.25 / 1.4 / 1.5m
  • Path Length: 6 / 8 / 10 / 12m
  • Freeze Duration: 2 / 4 / 6 / 8s
  • Existence Duration: 2 / 4 / 6 / 8s
  • Ability Cost: 40 (increased because of efficiency)
  • Ice Damage: 150 / 225 / 275 / 350 (same as the current)

Charged version:

After projectile reaches its max length, it creates a minified version of Snow Globe (50% of current stats). These Snow Globes have existence time - 1 / 2 / 3 / 4s. It has same mechanics as original Snow globe has (pulling out enemies, blast with ragdoll).

Note: only the charged version of the ability can destroy Snow Globe. Keep that in mind. It is made for convenience, to not restrict you from usage Freeze when Snow Globe is nearby or you accidentally missed.

Ice Wave

Almost useless ability. I used to use this ability but in one day I stopped doing that. Just because I can more efficiently freeze enemies using Avalanche. There are no damage, no CC, no synergy, absolutely nothing. It is useless without the augment.

• Ice Wave now knockdowns all affected enemies - a part of rework;
  • Ice Wave now freeze all enemies if they are too close to Frost when cast (~25% of total range, for 2 / 4 / 6 / 8s) - a part of rework;
  • A new Synergy with Avalanche (read below) - a part of rework.

Synergy with Avalanche:

Avalanche has relatively short freeze duration. We can use this to create new synergy.

Ice Wave now doubles armor reduction and freeze duration for enemies affected by Avalanche. Duration is dynamic parameter.

E.g:

• Avalanche cast (a crowd has been frozen): duration - 8s, armor reduction - 40%;
  • Then we cast Ice Wave, approx. after 2 seconds: time remains ~12s ((8 - 2) * 2), armor reduction - 80%;
  • The second Ice Wave cast, approx. after 3 seconds: time remains ~18s ((12 - 3) * 2), armor reduction - 100% (cap);
  • The third cast, approx. 4 seconds: time remains ~28s ((18 - 4) * 2), armor reduction - 100% (cap);
  • etc.

Duration can be stacked up to 5 times of original duration. For example, if you have 10s duration, you can stack it up to 50s.

Snow Globe

The main Frost's ability that helps surviving. But there are some troubles:

• Some AoE still damage you when you are inside Snow Globe (Napalm, for example);
  • We are still not able to see HP of Snow Globes;
  • Snow Globe size is uncontrollable. The highest Range is good thing, but not for Snow Globe (especially against Corpus).

And here are my solutions and extensions:

• We must be protected from any AoE - DE's side fix;
  • If it possible, these 4 (or up to 4) Snow Globes must be on the screen. Same as Nezha has but 4 ones - tweak;
  • Ability cost halved for Frost when inside Snow Globe, but cannot override the limit of efficiency (75%) - a part of rework;
  • Snow Globe resizing (read below) - a part of rework;
  • Frozen enemies (by Freeze or Avalanche) will get a permanent freeze. But there are 2 conditions of that behavior - a part of rework;
  1. Uniqueness of Snow Globe - recasted Snow Globe will dispel permanent freeze of previous one;
  2. Integrity of Snow Globe - after destroying Snow Globe, freeze will immediately dispel.

Snow Globe resizing:

This works simple - tap and hold to change Snow Globe size for next cast. There are 4 sizes:

• Current, maxed - 100%;
  • Reduced - 75% of max or 5m if calculated value lower than 5m;
  • Halved - 50% of max or ~;
  • Initial - the initial Snow Globe range stat - 5m.

Note: resizing will not work if Narrow Minded was equipped.

Avalanche

No changes needed.

AUGMENTS

Freeze Force

The augment is fine. No changes needed.

Ice Wave Impedance

Is fine too.

Chilling Globe

Can we get a little more defense? 50% is not enough, but 90% would be.

Icy Avalanche

The great support augment. The one thing is missed - accumulation. The limit of accumulation is equal to Snow Globe HP.

PASSIVE

Frost now has small area (0.5m) around yourself that apply Ice Status to enemies. Very cold guy!

STATS

Sprint Speed: 0.95 to 1.00 (prime only)

TL;DR

• Freeze now leaves Icy Trace, projectile speed doubled;
  • Ice Wave now have synergy with Avalanche;
  • Now you can control Snow Globe size. Also it got a synergy with Avalanche;
  • New passive. An alternative for existing passive;
  • 3 and 4 augments tweaked a bit;
  • Increased sprint speed to 1.0 for prime version.

Thanks for reading. And do not forget - English is not my native language. I did my best.

Edited by _GoodLuck_

4 hours ago, _GoodLuck_ said:

Saryn got a rerework, why Frost did not get one?

Frost is quite popular and has no immediate concerns. Just because you feel something needs work, doesn't mean DE agrees or, even if they agree, that they have the resources to do it now, rather than at some point in the future when they do have free time and have a good idea.

What DE won't likely do is use numbers suggested by the players.

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

Frost is quite popular and has no immediate concerns. Just because you feel something needs work, doesn't mean DE agrees or, even if they agree, that they have the resources to do it now, rather than at some point in the future when they do have free time and have a good idea.

What DE won't likely do is use numbers suggested by the players.

Did I do something wrong? It's just suggestion, not an order. Relax.

Replacing numbers with letters/words won't change anything. They do it as they want.

On 2018-11-13 at 11:13 AM, _GoodLuck_ said:

Freeze

I wouldn't mind the projectile speed increase, but I think the rest of the changes for this are unnecessary. The mini snowglobes would likely be a nightmare for allies that are trying to shoot enemies. Even if it's only 4 seconds that 4 seconds (recurring each time you cast it) prevents your allies from hitting their targets behind it, and around it due to displacing the enemies. Knock back is something he is capable of with one power, but it is not the theme of his kit. Slow and Freezing is.

Ice Wave

This is actually my most used ability on him. Lol. With a high range build you can hit enemies rooms away. Because of the large area slow it delays the time it takes for enemies to get to your location that you are defending with Snow Globe. You are designed around protecting primarily, not killing. I like the synergy idea you have, but I don't think it needs to stack with multiple casts.

Snow Globe

This is one of the most powerful defensive abilities in the game so it needs some drawbacks. To counterbalance AoE explosions you make your bubble bigger. You make it bigger you take on the risk of Nullifiers. That seems appropriate to me. To deal with Nullifiers you or your allies should leave your bubble and kill them yourself before they take it out.

I think the optional bubble sizes is interesting but it infringes too much on Gara's ability and considering hers is no where near as powerful or convenient as Snow Globe in Defense she should keep that unique feature to herself (especially since she is creating and reshaping molten glass, whereas Frost is just freezing water vapor in the air).

Edited by (PS4)Riko_113

53 minutes ago, (PS4)Riko_113 said:

This is actually my most used ability on him. Lol. With a high duration build you can hit enemies rooms away. Because of the large area slow it delays the time it takes for enemies to get to your location that you are defending with Snow Globe. You are designed around protecting primarily, not killing. I like the synergy idea you have, but I don't think it needs to stack with multiple casts.

I know about this.

You need the augment to make this ability more useful. Do you think it's normal? The same problem has Excal with his Radial Javelin.

At least, knockdown must be implemented, even without others extensions.

17 minutes ago, _GoodLuck_ said:

I know about this.

You need the augment to make this ability more useful. Do you think it's normal? The same problem has Excal with his Radial Javelin.

At least, knockdown must be implemented, even without others extensions.

Actually, I mis-typed. I meant "high range build", not duration. Lol.  And no, I do not use the augment at all. The slow it provides naturally delays enemies from coming as quickly and kills off the weaker ones.

I agree that augments should not be required to make abilities useful but that's not the case for that ability, it just makes it better.

Knockdown I can agree with, but all it would do is lessen the value of the freeze proc on the ability since they'll spend half that time getting up. I suppose that could help out since it prevents them from progressing as far by the time it wears off.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Riko_113 said:

~

And you forgot about main problem - inability to status an enemy when it's in freeze. Only because of this I made stack up mechanics with ability to prolong freeze and armor reduction. It's OK against unarmored enemies but not against armored ones.

Compare:

Spoiler

-100% armor

Spoiler

-62%

Spoiler

Without Avalanche. Rubico  + Hunter Munitions + RM (MS + D)

Do you see the difference? The first and third scenarios work better than second one.