Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shouldn't Plural for Solaris be Solari?

Im_a_Turtle

4 hours ago, rapt0rman said:

Incidentally the plural of octopus is actually octopodes, as it's of Greek origin and not Latin.

Isn't it also just "octopus" in Latin? I mean, there's polypus, but I think octopus also works.

The Romans nabbed a lot of words from the languages of the countries they interacted with (like every other culture before and after them)

And most "scientific Latin" is just Latinized Greek (the correct Greek for "octopus" would be "octopous" afaiu)

Edited by marelooke

3 hours ago, marelooke said:

Isn't it also just "octopus" in Latin? I mean, there's polypus, but I think octopus also works.

The Romans nabbed a lot of words from the languages of the countries they interacted with (like every other culture before and after them)

And most "scientific Latin" is just Latinized Greek (the correct Greek for "octopus" would be "octopous" afaiu)

"Oktopous" but yeah. The thing is, in greek "pous" means foot, and isn't actually related to the Latin nominative suffix "-us" (in Latin, foot would be "pes" with an "-es")

Even in Latin, I'm finding that while for instance "polypus" is accepted as both second declension "polypi" or third declension "polypodes", I'm still only finding instances of third declension "octopodes" (side note dunno if it's directly related, "polyp" became a word on its own, while "octop" never did)

Honestly these days even "octopuses" is a more accepted plural then octopi, because then it at least follows modern English conventions.

Edited by rapt0rman