Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag request, Magnetize minor change.

Mahna

Since Mag prime came out of the vault I have been spending more time with her. I have taken to using her number two constantly when I can, but I have found that the biggest limiter to it is that it must be cast on a living target. This sucks if someone else kills the target first as then your power does not go off.

I'd like to suggest a small change since magnetize is not a barrier and has a duration that it either be changed to cast at point or still cast at the body of the target. You currently can't toss the field in a choke point which is ideally where you would use it to full effect, but at least if it still casts on an enemy's body if they die while casting the field would go up close to where you were trying to get it anyway.

Not to steal an idea from Vauban but having it go where you want like his grenades/mines would be ideal.

I think its best to keep it as is. Having Magnetize being able to target corpses would provoke too many accidental casts on unwanted targets, specially when aiming at a crowd where one or more enemies are dieing.

If you want to deal with choke points, just wait for a mob to pass through it and cast it on them when they are in the ideal place.

2 minutes ago, YagoXiten said:

They could also change fix the damage scaling so that it makes any kind of sense.

I haven't done any testing specifically on how the damage ramps up with the projectiles in it, but it seems the aim was to have that damage dealt to many enemies at moderately high damage then explode at very high damage (since the explosion damage is based on a portion of how many damage ticks it dealt to enemies before it detonates). The problem is that it doesn't hold groups of enemies very well so it never deals as many ticks as projected. 

I think if it held enemies better, because of how it calculates the explosion damage, the total area damage it dealt would be far greater than we usually get out of it. It would also make it far easier to make use of the Polarize shards from groups of enemies with armor that gets shredded, increasing the damage.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Riko_113 said:

I haven't done any testing specifically on how the damage ramps up with the projectiles in it, but it seems the aim was to have that damage dealt to many enemies at moderately high damage then explode at very high damage (since the explosion damage is based on a portion of how many damage ticks it dealt to enemies before it detonates). The problem is that it doesn't hold groups of enemies very well so it never deals as many ticks as projected. 

I think if it held enemies better, because of how it calculates the explosion damage, the total area damage it dealt would be far greater than we usually get out of it. It would also make it far easier to make use of the Polarize shards from groups of enemies with armor that gets shredded, increasing the damage.

Every second 25% of the absorbed damage is dealt to all enemies inside the sphere. At the end of its duration, if the primary target is killed (or if it is manually detonated with the Magnetized Discharge augment), it will explode dealing [(300 * Power Strength) +  the sum of all premitigation damage dealt by the damage over time] as Blast damage.

Two major problems:

1. The way it absorbs damage is esoteric and confusing.

• Your damage type does not matter. Whether you're shooting a Bombard or a Corpus Tech, a single round from a Braton Prime with Stormbringer and Hellfire will add as much damage as a single round from a Braton Prime with Cryo Rounds and Stormbringer.
  • The number of targets you hit does not matter. A Lanka shot that hits five targets will add the same amount to Magnetize as a Lanka shot that only hits one enemy.
  • Your critical chance and critical multiplier do not matter. White hits, yellow crits, orange crits, and red crits all add the same amount to what Magnetize absorbs.
  • Your status chance does not matter. Slash procs and Toxin procs do not contribute to Magnetize. Corrosive procs will increase the damage a target takes from Magnetize's damage over time and Magnetize's detonation, but this does not affect the damage dealt by Magnetize itself. In other words, you can see a bunch of ticks for 40 damage and still deal hundreds of thousands of damage with the explosion to anyone who isn't armored.
  • If your weapon is hitscan then your multishot does not matter--including the innate multishot of shotguns like the Tigris Prime--only a single pellet will be counted. (If your weapon is a projectile weapon, such as the Supra Vandal, then your multishot is taken into consideration as normal.)
  • Magnetize ignores all damage dealt by secondary effects--including the damage dealt by explosions and persistent damage fields. Your Secura Penta? Yeah, that 75 Impact damage is the only thing that Magnetize looks at. Hilariously enough, this means that the Castanas actually contribute literally nothing to Magnetize.

2. The detonation damage only really scales if you let enemies take damage from the damage over time.

This creates a weird paradox where if you want Magnetize's explosion to kill things you have to...not kill things inside of the field.

Edited by YagoXiten

Ok, so it was generally as expected.

1 hour ago, YagoXiten said:

it will explode dealing [(300 * Power Strength) +  the sum of all premitigation damage dealt by the damage over time] as Blast damage.

This portion is calculated based on all enemies affected though, I believe, not just the primary target, which is why i figured damage overall would be better if it was more successfully able to pull in multiple enemies that damage would be higher.

1 hour ago, YagoXiten said:

2. The detonation damage only really scales if you let enemies take damage from the damage over time.

If you can kill them before then it wasn't as necessary anyway. In higher level content where enemies do survive long enough that added damage could make a huge difference. I've experienced this myself doing Arbitrations with Mag in an Orokin map and enemies definitely survived long enough, but most enemies would just casually walk through it unbothered...lol

Ok, so it was generally as expected.

This portion is calculated based on all enemies affected though, I believe, not just the primary target, which is why i figured damage overall would be better if it was more successfully able to pull in multiple enemies that damage would be higher.

Yes, it factors in the total damage dealt by the damage over time and is not limited only to the damage dealt to the primary target.

If you can kill them before then it wasn't as necessary anyway. In higher level content where enemies do survive long enough that added damage could make a huge difference. I've experienced this myself doing Arbitrations with Mag in an Orokin map and enemies definitely survived long enough, but most enemies would just casually walk through it unbothered...lol

I don't have any issue with keeping enemies inside the sphere. Fracturing Crush works wonders for that. My issue is keeping them alive inside of it long enough to build Magnetize's detonation damage.

Seriously, though. Which do you think yields a bigger Magnetize detonation?

A. Casting Magnetize on a level 130 Corrupted Bombard and firing one shot from a 2 Forma Lenz with Radiation/Cold damage before manually detonating the ability with about 1 second left of its duration?
B. Casting Magnetize on a level 130 Corrupted Bombard and then almost emptying the magazine of a completely unmodded Synoid Gammacor before manually detonating the ability With about 1 second left of its duration?

The answer is B.