The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Controller not working.

AoiUta

Yesterday and today my controller stopped working all of a sudden.
NO, my controller is not busted because it works more than fine in the other games i have installed.
It also seems to work with UI only to move the cursor around, but that's about all it does now.
I would like to have this game breaking bug fixed if possible from DE's side.
And if not possible from there end, i would like to have a detailed, easy to understand, step by step explanation on how i can fix it myself.
(also, im sorry if UI is not the correct tag. I have no idea what else would have been correct for this kind of thing)

I'm also experiencing this problem, I logged back in for the first time in months to play Fortuna. Same thing, the game acknowledges my controller enough to change the UI but won't accept any inputs from it. I also did a full reinstall just to check and it didn't fix it.

I'm using an Xbox 360 controller(Wired). I don't know if that helps or makes the problem even more muddled. I logged on after updating to check, still not working, still the same UI change, but still not reading inputs. If there's any specific info that'll help I'd be glad to share it.

Edited by LazyNinja49
Slightly more info

On Steam, go to Settings:
Select "In-Game", uncheck: "Use the Big Picture Overlay when using a Steam Input enabled controller from the desktop"
Select "Controller", click "General Controller Settings" and uncheck those boxes too.

Using an Xbox One controller. After reinstalling Windows and Steam, analog sticks only worked for the cursor and zooming.
In Big Picture mode, inputs were detected but the right stick behaved like a Steam controller's track pad or a mouse.
Sensitivity sliders had no effect and Big Picture settings overrode all configurations while disabling keyboard navigation.

After doing the steps above, everything now works properly again.
Only Warframe required this. Other games appear to work as usual.
Good luck, Tenno!

• Like 1

Yes they might have fixed your issue, but they broke the ability to select another player in the trade menu. As much that was made about controller responsiveness and all that on the Developer stream you would think they would fix it's functionality and you could be able to select a player or go forbid accept a friend request in the menus and chat. I don't play for free I buy plat, I have paid for the game 20 times. Please fix it, it's a beautiful game.

On 2018-12-15 at 3:13 PM, -.M.- said:

Select "In-Game", uncheck: "Use the Big Picture Overlay when using a Steam Input enabled controller from the desktop"
Select "Controller", click "General Controller Settings" and uncheck those boxes too.

Using an Xbox One controller. After reinstalling Windows and Steam, analog sticks only worked for the cursor and zooming.
In Big Picture mode, inputs were detected but the right stick behaved like a Steam controller's track pad or a mouse.
Sensitivity sliders had no effect and Big Picture settings overrode all configurations while disabling keyboard navigation.

Good luck, Tenno!

Yea, you really shouldn't have to do all that. I'm disabled and play through steam link, so this is not an option to disable BP mode and it shouldn't have to be.

On 2018-12-15 at 3:13 PM, -.M.- said:

Good luck, Tenno!

I just became victim to this issue as well, I tried enabling the steam support and then I disabled it, but I still can't get my controller to work, I can only get my right analog stick to respond in the menus. I tried troubleshooting my controller and all of my buttons worked there. 

I've also fallen victim to this, but perhaps my experience will be somewhat helpful to others. I've had a little history with this and have actually been using gamepads for as long as I've been playing (even back when I first started playing around 2014 or so). When I recently started up again I was using an older gaming laptop with a wired Xbox 360 controller that was just rock solid. I played just fine like this for several months without any real control issues. I then migrated to my current desktop PC connected to my new TV within the last month or so. That's when I started having problems.

At first the sensitivity was way too high and made the game nigh uncontrollable. Also certain functions just did not want to work like using the d-pad in menus or trying to bring up the map in game. It didn't matter whether I was using the wired Xbox 360 controller or my newer wireless Xbox One controller over Bluetooth. Both acted the same. I came to find out that Steam Big Picture Mode was interfering with the game's native gamepad support and supplanting its own presets for the native gamepad support in the game. I can tell you right now that those Steam presets are hot garbage and missing quite a bit of functionality where certain buttons just don't work in the right context. I turned off all Xbox support in Big Picture Mode and let Warframe use its native controller support. This allowed my wireless Xbox One controller to work just like my wired Xbox 360 controller. So everything was just dandy until today.

So what changed this time? I bought the Xbox One Controller Adapter for Windows 10. Why did I buy this? Because it's the only way to get audio wirelessly over the controller even though the controller works just fine over Bluetooth otherwise. Up until now I had been running a wired headset from the computer to my couch. I've been wanting to go wireless for awhile, but Microsoft made that quite difficult to do. I also get a nasty static electricity buildup when my feet leave the floor that can shock me through my ears if I don't take the headset off before touching the floor again when I get up. It's not fun, so I finally broke down to buy the adapter to go wireless through the controller. But then none of the buttons were responding in Warframe through the adapter and the left stick only moves the cursor around. It turns out that it was Big Picture Mode shenanigans again. I had to turn off all Big Picture Mode settings completely now because the settings recommended above still weren't enough. But now my controls appear to be working again using the native support in the game that I'm used to. 

I'm hoping this information will help DE to actually fix these broken Big Picture Mode templates or just scrap them entirely and use the perfectly functional native controller support that just plain works. Hopefully this helps someone else with the same issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue (wired Xbox 360 controller) but it wasn't fixed by the steps recommended above 😕 Enabling Xbox configuration support in the Steam controller settings made the game respond to my controller input again but also resulted in weird camera movement without me moving the stick, making the game unplayable.

On 2019-01-26 at 12:18 AM, captainbozo01 said:

I have the same issue (wired Xbox 360 controller) but it wasn't fixed by the steps recommended above 😕 Enabling Xbox configuration support in the Steam controller settings made the game respond to my controller input again but also resulted in weird camera movement without me moving the stick, making the game unplayable.

hmm I just logged in to see if mine works and... it works.
then I saw the time stamp of this old threat

• 5 weeks later...

Been running into this tonight. Happened 3 times. The first, pulling the batteries while staying in game was enough to fix it. The second and third, pulling the batteries while in game restored the cursor movement but not button pushes. 

To fix button pushes, I had to exit the game, pop the batteries for a few seconds, restart the controller, and then jump back into the game. That did it. 

It's a really stupid ritual to go through, but it seems to work for me. 

Good  luck!

• 2 weeks later...