Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe-Specific Keybinds

Maygikal

On 2018-12-05 at 9:53 PM, Thaylien said:

Question is, across the player base of several million registered (not active), how much data would this add to those accounts?

An idea for actually testing that would be to have A, B and C Keybinds that we can switch between.

Not as customisable, but also not as draining on the system.

I´m pretty sure keybindings arn´t saved server-side. Wouldn´t make any sense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arcira said:

I´m pretty sure keybindings arn´t saved server-side. Wouldn´t make any sense.

Warframe Specific keybinds would have to be, just like your regular customisations, mods and in-game settings for voice and so on. Because how else would you be able to install and sign in to your account on a different machine and still have them?

On 2018-12-07 at 3:45 PM, Thaylien said:

Warframe Specific keybinds would have to be, just like your regular customisations, mods and in-game settings for voice and so on. Because how else would you be able to install and sign in to your account on a different machine and still have them?

Not really that difficult. The first option in your keybindings setting should determine which loadout it is applied to. This way you don´t even need a new key.

9 hours ago, Arcira said:

Not really that difficult. The first option in your keybindings setting should determine which loadout it is applied to. This way you don´t even need a new key.

I think you're missing the point.

It's not the individual amount of data, it's the fact that there's about 21 million registered users now, so even a few bits of data is going to multiply exceptionally quickly and have to be updated daily, minute to minute, as people access and change their keybinds.

That's a lot of extra server traffic.

They even had to do stress testing just when they increased the Riven capacity, and that was only an extra 30 mods per person, ones that stay fixed unless manually modified.

27 minutes ago, Thaylien said:

I think you're missing the point.

It's not the individual amount of data, it's the fact that there's about 21 million registered users now, so even a few bits of data is going to multiply exceptionally quickly and have to be updated daily, minute to minute, as people access and change their keybinds.

That's a lot of extra server traffic.

They even had to do stress testing just when they increased the Riven capacity, and that was only an extra 30 mods per person, ones that stay fixed unless manually modified.

There shouldn´t be any extra trafic because the server only manages mods/warframes/weapons settings in loadout slots but keybindings/grafic/audio opitions are saved client side (user/appdata/local/warframe). The only thing needed are extended keybindings tied to those slots.

Edited by Arcira

2 hours ago, Arcira said:

There shouldn´t be any extra trafic because the server only manages mods/warframes/weapons settings in loadout slots but keybindings/grafic/audio opitions are saved client side (user/appdata/local/warframe). The only thing needed are extended keybindings tied to those slots.

Allow me to explain; your keybinds that you set up on your actual computer, that set what hotkeys to what (through something like Razer or similar) are on your computer.

Warframe specific keybinds that exist for changing between Warframes in the game Warframe specifically would be stored on Warframe Servers with the rest of your account data. And the same is true of other data, like whether you have Ivara's Quiver and Vauban's Minelayer be tap-cast and hold-change, or reversed, like whether you prefer your camera over the left or right shoulder of your Warframe, whether you used Advanced Flight Controls on Archwing missions and like whether you have ally health bars hidden or not, and all the other little settings like that are also stored on the servers, not on your computer.

That's what I'm saying would happen, because otherwise how would you be able to sign in to your same account on a different machine and expect to have the same keybinds? That's what you're asking; warframe specific keybinds that switch with your selected Warframe. Something the game would have to manage, because it has to be independent of your computer.

If you want keybind setups that you can swap between that are unique to you and your own machine, that's already possible for you without the game having anything to do with it, why would you need Warframe itself to do that for you?

Allow me to explain; your keybinds that you set up on your actual computer, that set what hotkeys to what (through something like Razer or similar) are on your computer.

Warframe specific keybinds that exist for changing between Warframes in the game Warframe specifically would be stored on Warframe Servers with the rest of your account data. And the same is true of other data, like whether you have Ivara's Quiver and Vauban's Minelayer be tap-cast and hold-change, or reversed, like whether you prefer your camera over the left or right shoulder of your Warframe, whether you used Advanced Flight Controls on Archwing missions and like whether you have ally health bars hidden or not, and all the other little settings like that are also stored on the servers, not on your computer.

That´s true but those things are ability specif interactions and have nothing to do with your keybinds.

That's what I'm saying would happen, because otherwise how would you be able to sign in to your same account on a different machine and expect to have the same keybinds? That's what you're asking; warframe specific keybinds that switch with your selected Warframe. Something the game would have to manage, because it has to be independent of your computer.

If you want keybind setups that you can swap between that are unique to you and your own machine, that's already possible for you without the game having anything to do with it, why would you need Warframe itself to do that for you?

That´s not the case. I have my 1st ability on "e" and "crouch on "alt" If I use my account on another pc or by simply reinstalling warframe all my individual keybinds are reset to standart ("1" and "strg" in this case). If your settings are saved it might have something to do with steam?

Also whit my logitech keyboard I can change between layouts by pressing a single key wich can move the 4th ability to the "q"- key and vice versa. This doesn´t affect the ability or trafic in any way only the key I press.

The same can be done ingame but instead of a specific key it´s an keybind option per layout. So instead of pressing "g1" on my keybord the game pick "option 1" when I use loadout 1. In case of ivara quiver for example the server doesn´t care which key you tap only which order this will trigger which is controlled locally.

It looks something like this: a key(1) triggers a command (use 1st ability) which is transfered to the server and causes an action(cast 1st ability).

Edited by Arcira